Universal Dangerous (a.k.a Null Space)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by violentv, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Oreniishi

Oreniishi Active Member

Oct 12, 2011
    Thanks for the tip was trying to turn it off outside of station which didn't work.

2. Kbom

Kbom Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2010
    #102 Kbom, Dec 26, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2011

i does not work if you just turn it off! you MUST turn it off, and then dock to station, after undocking, the space light feature is desabled and the problem goes away! but if you turn the space light on again, the problem remains!

but as i said, i'd rather fly without the space light, then flying around in a mass of white color!

_________________________________________________________________________________

man, these guys hit me 2 times and im dead! i have tried everything! they just keep killing me over and over! WHAT am i doing wrong?

trying to get my second wingman, grace, its imposible! for me at least! any ideas?

3. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Is it just me or are the controls for this terrible?

Touch controls: So...where exactly are you meant to press...anywhere on the screen? Seems that way. It's completely unresponsive and the craft moves in a jerking manner. Try a proper Dpad set up please. See galaxy on fire for how to do it.

Tilt: too damn sensitive.

Also, no option for inverting axis.

I can't believe people are making their way through the story line. I can't even get past the tutorial of staying within 1pm of Cali because the controls are terrible. Absolutely terrible.

Please use the GoF controls because this is woeful

Get this: to make the aircraft go down and to the left you have to sort of slide your finger anywhere on the screen up and to the left. Maybe that's how it is for a real jet fighter, but for a touchscreen, it just doesn't make sense. And there's no Dpad to tell you the range of your slide, you just do it anywhere on the screen. Sometimes it move fast, sometimes slow.

GoF Dpad required bigtime before I touch this game again.

4. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    They're called inverted controls. The update to switch will be out after the break. As for sensitivity, IDK what to tell you. It's a different game from GoF2 as well, so...

5. Kbom

Kbom Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2010
    #105 Kbom, Dec 29, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
    my stupidity is endless

ah....i keep dieing becouse i keep getting to far ahead! so i go back and everything is fine, I'm so stupid, but I'm having a blast :)

i ran in to a interesting glitch, i came to the rescue of some broken down ship near a station, the ship had glitchly but it selv ON the station, so i used the remote armor repair to repair him, but he got more armore then i got power, to compenste for the lack of power, i dock to the stastion and undock again, the i got full power again! but after doing this the game negleckted to register me undocking, and though im now in space, the game keep saying that i cant dock becouse im already "on body" and it wont let me warp away fron the station, becouse "im still docked"....interesting situation, dont ya think so?

i hope all these glitch posts dont irritate you guys! i just want to tell you so you can fix them, so the game can be the best game posible!

6. binaryhelix

binaryhelix Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2011
    We have submitted the 1.0.3 update. It has these changes:

- bug fixes
    - new H button toggles auto-hiding of the contacts and active buttons
    - small devices have the auto-hide feature enabled by default: when enemies appear the contacts and modules appear; when enemies are gone, they disappear
    - added options for: invert y, invert x, music and fx volume, tilt sensitivity, shader selection
    - work-around for shader issue on iPhone 4S and iPad 2 with iOS 5.x
    - new perk system to tailor your game experience: Rocketeer, Trade Genius, Space Explorer, Generalist
    - Rocketeer lets you start warp at any distance
    - Trade Genius has max Corporate Pilot and extra ship
    - Space Explorer has max Scan Probe
    - Generalist has no perks
    - explanations enhanced for hardpoints, skills and training, quick start
    - the destroyer skill is available from the start
    - SOL now gives out a destroyer vessel instead of skill
    - complete galaxy map viewable from the start, still get experience from visiting locations

The notable stuff are: the new pick a perk system which lets you tailor the game to the way you play: Rocketeer, Trade Genius, Space Explorer, or Generalist. The Rocketeer can ignore the warp transit requirement. The Trade Genius gets Corporate Piloting maxed and an extra small transport ship. The Space Explorer gets immediate access to the Scan Probe. The Generalist has no perks, and is for those who want the most challenge. New players will get to pick this after they dock at the hub station. Existing players can choose it when the game loads if they're not at the first hub station. If you're there, docking elsewhere will grant it to you.

Also a new auto-hide system for small screens like the 3GS. Outside of the tutorial, the Contacts list UI and active module buttons UI disappear. When enemies show up, the hidden UI shows. When the enemies are destroyed, the UI is hidden again. This is enabled by default for small devices like the iPhone/iPod, but off for iPad. You can change the option if you don't like this. Also, there's a new "H" button at the top left that shows and hides these two UI elements (Contacts list and Active modules).

You can now buy destroyers immediately without needing to acquire the license from SOL. (You'll need to put one point of skill into the destroyer skill to be able to buy/sell them.) SOL will now give you a destroyer ship if you become their ally. All other factions keep the license granting ability they've had.

Hopefully Apple can approve it quickly since the holiday rush is behind us.

By the way, we have the demo versions for PC and Mac available from the whoisdangerous.com website. You can also purchase the full PC or Mac version via Paypal. The demo works exactly like the full game except you can't spend any experience points on skills. But you can still save and load. If you like the game, you can buy it and load the saved games from the demo version, so you won't lose any time.

7. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #107 Ayjona, Dec 31, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
    Just as I finally started to work on my impressions/suggestions writeup for Dangerous, this update is submitted. And way to update! Displays all those desirable developer virtues, such as dedication to improving an already great and unique title, accepting and implementing feedback, communicating with the player base, etc ;)

EDIT: You know, something that would probably go a LOOOOOOONG way towards resolving most issues with the HUD/controls, would be to implement moveable HUD elements. Simply let us reposition and resize all buttons, menus and other graphical elements on the in-game screen in whatever manner we please.

This has become a standard in complex iOS titles (look at Modern Combat 3, Mission Europa, Street Fighter IV Volt and GTA III for examples. And then look at Dungeon Defenders for a game that desperately would have needed it ;) ), and should really be a standard in damn near every game for the platform.

8. xStatiCa

xStatiCa Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Bought it and really like it so far except one thing. The near center dead zone for tilt control needs to be adjustable or removed. I find myself hunting a target back and forth because of the dead zone near the center of tilt movement. If that one thing was tweaked I would love it 100%. The controls as is seem to not give a good feeling of control because of the dead zone in the center. When you want to closely follow another ships movement you need all the precise aiming at center as you can get.

Thanks for a great space sim!

9. V Kuolema

V Kuolema Well-Known Member

Jun 30, 2011
    Canada
    Awesome, sounds like all of my issues will be fixed with this update!

Keep up the great work!

10. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    @Developer:

Are you planning any improvements to the controls and/or to the flight model and combat to make them more fun?

11. Kbom

Kbom Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2010
    This sounds promissing for an already cool game! Can't wait! And the perks system sounds awesome! I like perks! :) more of that :) maybe one could pick a perk every 5 or 10 level? Wow, I just got greedy! Sorry guys :)

12. foxmulderino

foxmulderino Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Student
    Italy
    too long to read...I bought this one only cause of the lenght of the previous text

13. binaryhelix

Oct 15, 2011
    OK, I found a bit of time to go back and answer some questions.
    It's meant to work with your existing save.

We have a possible fix for this in the latest 1.0.3 update which is waiting for review. For now, other suggestions are to use the scrollbar or drag a tad slower.

We could add a field in the Factions area for the HQ, perhaps after you press the (?) button in a future update.

That is an unguided weapon similar to the laser, but it does more kinetic damage whereas the laser excels at EM damage. We're going to beef up descriptions going forward.

We have some fixes to the map in the 1.0.3 update. Also have more plans to improve the map perhaps by making it draggable and pinch-able to zoom in a future update. Glad you're enjoying the game!

The design goal was to provide choices. You have all kinds of space game players who run the gamut from dogfighters in the style of Elite and Tie Fighter to the completely automated "thinking" game of EVE Online. We tried to do both, but I agree the dogfighting could be improved further. Also, the gameplay did evolve over time in a very organic way. We've always had a playable version to test. A game of this magnitude is very hard to design for in advance especially if you consider the limitations of mobile devices. But I've always had in my mind what my dream game would be even if it was never explicitly written down on paper.

We have plans to add a visual display when you touch the screen, and to tweak the touch slide mechanics so that it is smoother. Should hopefully happen in the update after 1.0.3 which is in for review.
    Both of these are in 1.0.3. Also, if you fly larger craft, they turn/accelerate/decelerate slower. The frigate and the interceptor are the two fastest ships in the game.
    You're not used to inverted controls it would seem. The 1.0.3 update lets you toggle off inverted x or y. And the update that we're working on will include a visual representation of the range.
    Thanks, we are trying hard to make the game enjoyable by all. So we value all feedback, good or bad.

This has been discussed, and will be added in a future update. Not sure if it will make it into the 1.0.4 update though since it is quite involved, but it will happen.
    Glad you're enjoying it! We have some ideas on how to improve tilt even more. One idea is to use a logarithmic tilt method where tilting near the "neutral" plane gives you finer control than when you have tilted a great deal. We're going to focus a bit on the controls for the 1.0.4 update.
    Yes, definitely. We want Dangerous to be the absolute best dogfighting space game out there. It may take some time, but we're going to take all suggestions and see where it might make sense with our update plans.

14. MetaGonzo

MetaGonzo Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    I haven't had time to read through the thread so apologies if this is old ground.

I've only just started and the UI is overwhelming; can someone please tell me how to turn the music off? A game with this many options surely also has this one.

15. binaryhelix

Oct 15, 2011
    The music and fx volume options were added in update 1.0.3 which is awaiting review. For now, you could also start your own music before starting the game.

16. MetaGonzo

MetaGonzo Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Splendid; I'm happy to wait. Nothing against your music; it sounded good. I just generally don't like listening to music as I game.

17. Howard

Howard Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    Are there any in game videos available?

18. dreamwave6

dreamwave6 Member

Nov 7, 2011
    BinaryHelix, first off, thank you so much for all of the hard work you are putting into this game. While it may not be there yet, ultimately, I think this game will be the best space combat simulation app available for iOS.

You mentioned that you want Dangerous to be the absolute best dogfighting space game out there. In order to do this, I strongly feel that you need to add a 3rd control type, "control pad" based controls to steer one's ship, as I previously mentioned. The two existing control schemes are not manageable in my opinion, especially since I am playing this game on an iPad 2. A "control pad" based control scheme works extremely well for Galaxy on Fire 2 and I'm sure it will work very well for Dangerous as well. I really want to be able to use my Fling with Dangerous.

Thanks,

Andrew

19. binaryhelix

Oct 15, 2011
    No worries, we want to accommodate all play and music listening styles.
    Sanuku posted one on page 8: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=117572&page=8
    Thanks! We appreciate everybody supporting us, and will continue to update with fixes and features.
    We agree. The plan for update 1.0.4 is to add a third control scheme with a fixed position dpad that would also work with the Fling. Speaking of which, I think I need to pick up a Fling. Down the road, I would like to see if we could integrate with the iCade or other real joysticks, too.

20. dreamwave6

dreamwave6 Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Spectacular! I can't wait for this!

Thanks,

Andrew