Dangerous: Null Space

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by swiftest, Mar 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gamecomposer

gamecomposer Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    #81 gamecomposer, Nov 3, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
    I am sorry you dislike my score. I am proud of my work for this game. I am constantly growing as a composer/producer and always strive to write my best material.

2. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Your ignorance will be ignored because music is extremely important in a sci-fi/4x game. Also, I specifically stated that I loved some of the compositions so I will listen to them thank you.
    Well... You should be proud of yourself! :D No one ever delivers a perfect record so yeah, there will always be some shortcomings in an album (ok... not in Equilibrium's Sagas...)
    One major problem though (as I've stated many times) is that the volume is imbalanced. The subtle melodies in the music are very intricate though drowned out if the volume is not turned up.

3. Kbom

Kbom Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2010
    ignorance???? I'm just trying to be nice, something you are clearly not capable of!

I'm aware how important the music is, but people have been very hard on the music and I feel sorry for the composer, it's called empathy, look it up!

4. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Do you seriously want to read some albums that are rated 10-30% by critics? No one deserves empathy for poor musicianship (obviously not in this case). You should used to a universe called reality dood. Stop living in a world of love and no hate.
    This is actually a pretty good overall album. I've only picked out a few songs that are not worth their place in their album (note that there's a CONTEXT?) but would sound nice or great in other situations.

5. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    @Kbom if you do not wish to break your fragile and empathic heart then I strongly advise against you from reading this album review because it's so universally bashed that you'll literally cry your heart out in empathy for the poor old artists:
    http://www.metalreview.com/reviews/6469/lou-reed---metallica-lulu

http://sputnikmusic.com/review/46170/Lou-Reed-and-Metallica-Lulu/

I have never in my life have heard a worse album or read such critical reviews.
    Do you still have a problem against being objective criticism?

6. Edenbeast

Edenbeast Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Poland
    The creator of the game has the absolute right to publish what music he likes and he folds. Can You post the video of the really big ships? I wonder how you choose to control them in battle? Whether this will be like in Galaxy Pirate Adventure or Warpgate or something completely different?

7. Kbom

Kbom Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2010
    objective criticism, yes, composer can't use it
    Constructive criticism, no, very usefull to the composer

The composer put a lot of hard work in to the songs as he wrote somewhere above he is proud of them, being told you failed is never funny and I simply tried to show empathy to the composer for that, if you can't or won't recognize that, then this little (below belt) argument is over.

8. Kbom

Kbom Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2010
    Do you guys have a planned release date? And how close are we to it?

9. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Lol, I was telling the composer where he failed, not that he failed.

You have obviously failed :D

10. binaryhelix

binaryhelix Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2011
    With all due respect, I think you are completely off base. I am one of the toughest music critics out there, and Sean Beeson has created an album that I think rivals the Mass Effect album. (OK, so I'm biased a little here.:) ) I don't say this lightly because Mass Effect is the first game soundtrack that I so fell in love with that I went out and bought the album, a first for me. Perhaps it's merely a matter of taste, but I find your criticisms quite petty and highly off-putting considering the time and effort that Sean and I both put into the album. Especially considering you haven't played the game to have an informed opinion on how well the music matches the action. Also the fact that you haven't been exposed to what is some of the most memorable music in gaming history such as Mass Effect and to a lesser extent, EVE Online. Be that as it may, I'd love to hear everybody's reactions after the game is out.

As for the volume, I don't know if you realize this, but most composers that write "electronic" stuff COMPRESS THE SNOT out of their music. Sean doesn't compress his orchestral scores, so you have these incredible rich dynamic ranges. The Dangerous soundtrack is best enjoyed with a quality surround sound setup or earphones.

At any rate, the soundtrack discussion is tangential to the gameplay, so if you want to continue this, I would suggest doing it via email/PM or another thread devoted to it.

Edenbeast, the large ships act like large ships like in Star Wars/Star Trek/EVE Online: they turn much slower and take long to accelerate and decelerate. In terms of control, you have two methods for all ships, large or small:

A) fly manually (tilt or touch-drag on the screen). Use the thrust slider on the left to control velocity. While flying manually, you can turn off Inertial Dampeners, so you can continue to coast in one direction while turning your ship about to shoot you unguided weapons. Large ships like freighters or the capital ships will be not be as responsive as the nimble interceptors.

B) fly with the autopilot. You can orbit, keep at range, or follow another ship or structure. What this is useful for is to reduce damage from certain enemy weapons. For example, turrets have a tracking ability with light turrets able to track very quickly, but doing light damage, to heavy turrets which track slowly, but deal lots of damage. If you use the orbit autopilot close in to a turret-mounted enemy, he'll miss more often.

Turrets and missiles require a lock before they'll fire (and different ships lock at different speeds based on their sensor strength). Missiles will never miss if the target is in range, but the size of the explosion determines how much damage you'll receive. For example, if you shoot a heavy missile at a small ship, the explosion radius will be so large that the ship will not take the full brunt of the explosion. This may sound a bit complex, but there are simple rules that are easy to understand and are explained in the game. What it means though is that there is no uber ship or weapon. There's no "I Win" ship. An interceptor can go against a capital ship if the pilot knows what he's doing. It might take forever to take it down, but it can be done. Kind of like in real life. :D

11. xStatiCa

xStatiCa Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    I am super excited about this game. Thanks for more info on it. Keep it coming :).

I am no music expert but I thought the music sounded good in the video.

Stating the obvious I am sure but don't be forced to say a date until you know for sure you can meet it. People tend to get more upset at missed dates than not getting one :).

12. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    #92 gunxsword, Nov 4, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
    PM SENT! :D
    "I am one of the toughest music critics out there"
    WHERE?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hm... I have a feeling that I'll love the gameplay a lot. If possible, it should be ported onto consoles :D

Oh and I would love to pilot a scout ship against an battlecruiser just for some laughs :D
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BTW I really only have criticism against 2 of the songs now.

Also, since I love the song Leviathan Cometh so much I've decided purchase the entire album off iTunes. Before that though, I'm just wondering if the songs are loopable in the game? At the end of LC there's a freaking huge 12 seconds of silence to sit through. Will that be chopped?

13. Edenbeast

Edenbeast Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Poland
    Thank you for having responded to my previous post.

"-Collect loot and XP for a true RPG experience"

Could you explain what the system rpg in Dangerous: Null Space?
    Is it modeled on something?

"A true open-world 3D space combat & trading game. Inspired by games like Elite, Mass Effect, Eve Online, and Monster Hunter."
    I wondered how it would be associated with the Monster Hunter?

14. binaryhelix

binaryhelix Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2011
    The skill system is loosely similar to EVE Online's except in our game, you earn XP directly by completing missions or destroying pirates. You spend this XP on a skill tree. Also, certain skills and items need to be obtained/unlocked by doing loyalty missions for other factions. For example, if you help out one of the mining corporations, you raise your standings with them. Once it gets high enough, they'll ask you to complete a loyalty mission after which you'll gain access to a special mining ship and become allied. For loot, when you destroy a ship, there is a chance for some of its modules and cargo to survive.

As for the Monster Hunter influence, we originally planned to have a third-person shooter element in the game where you boarded ships and landed on planets somewhat similar to Mass Effect. Due to time constraints, we will have to add the bulk of this part in an update after release. The enemies and bosses that you'd encounter on planets would have a similar behavioral AI that Monster Hunter is known for. (I personally think that Monster Hunter is one of the greatest games of all time.)

15. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    wow... looks like this game has been in the works for a VERY long time. Can't wait to get my hands on it!

I'm sorry if this has already been addressed... but is there a release date?

16. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    This game cannot sound any better.

Any idea on pricing yet? A high starting price point could force player to do more research prior to purchase and amount to more favorable player reception.
    Free + IAP unlocks could work too, though some ppl hate it...

Please make this an optional feature of the game. It sounds very interesting but in a 4X game, I really only care about the ships, trading, dialogue and MENUS. Yup, I would rather navigate menus then walk.
    Also, 4X players may not be as competent in FPS/MH type games than their space combat skillz.

17. kcur

kcur Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2010
    US
    The third-person feature sounds really great. It adds a sense of uniqueness to the game that other space sims don't have. Looking forward to the game.

18. Kbom

Kbom Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2010
    Hmm....free + IAP to unlock the full game sounds good, that way you could check out if the game Is for you or not.

I think the third-person shooter idea is an interesting one, Im personally looking forward to this, i think if it's implemented right it could work. The idea of flying throug space and do what you do, and then board another ship and hijack it in a third-person view could be really cool. But it sounds to me like everything in the game is optional, and you can do pretty much what you like, that's what sounds so good to me, correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it, you can play the game as you like

Maaaaan I get exited just writing about it.....the game I mean. :D

19. xStatiCa

xStatiCa Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    I prefer the full game and not IAP. If for some reason the app is removed in the future (Apple and companies themselves have pulled apps before) 4+ years from now I would like to still re-install the local backup copy of it from itunes without needing IAP to work properly. I have one game right now where the app was pulled but luckily the game is full featured and does not require IAP to unlock.

A separate demo version could be used if you wanted to go that route or just make 2 versions. A full version with no IAP and another version with that is cheaper up front but addition content can be purchased via IAP.

I prefer apps without any IAP though and if companies have a version like that I buy it first even if it is more.

20. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    How many times do we need to dispel this myth? Thanks to iClouds, you can get all your purchases back without "buying" again, even if the title is pulled from the Store. FYI, I am still playing GW Octopus and GW Helmet, by Mobile 1UP which are pulled because they are too close to the respective G&W titles, of which these apps are not even on my local computer...