Daredevil Dave 2 - Avail Dec 12 2015

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by schplurg, Jan 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robiow

robiow Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Updates please!!

2. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    Still hopeful about Dave. And those poor DD2 webpages.. it's like going back in time. But yes, I still believe. :)

3. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

;)

I'm still here, shhhhhh.....

4. Kadoogan

Kadoogan Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Well, it has been a long time since there were any updates. Any progress or has this game ceased to be?

5. colorsound

colorsound Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Video Game Developer / Photographer / Graphic Arti
    Detroit, MI
    Out by the start of summer huh?

Summer is gone like a fart in the wind and we probably have a better chance of seeing jet car stunts 2 than this game (or a 2013 mission to Mars)

6. ImJPaul

ImJPaul Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    Male
    MGMT!
    Baltimore
    This still looks great but you gotta wonder what happens in development to make you miss your projected release date by 2 or 3 years. I've always wondered that.

7. schplurg

Hey everyone. I really apologize for the lack of updates.

I had an injury which kept me off a computer, for the most part, for many months. It was very depressing for me as I couldn't work at all on the game.

I was also working with a publisher and, long story short, it had a lot to do with the lack of information from me, and actually hurt my enthusiasm for building the game. I decided I would rather risk making less money so I could build the game I want, so I cancelled the deal.

Now that I'm on my own I have a new desire to finish Dave, but I can't do it on my own. I can't use a computer full time right now so I'm bringing in some help.

I suck at making promises when it comes to release dates (duh), but the game will be released someday. Ya I know, that's lame, but it's all I can give you.

Now that I'm doing this on my own again (no pub) I can go back to posting whatever I want on this forum and letting everyone know what's going on. It's a long recovery but hopefully I can pull this off.

Thank you for the replies in this thread. Even if they are negative, they inspire me, so please keep the emails and posts coming. :)

I would like to get a vid or two up soon, but no promises on when :eek:
    I'm literally dusting off my computer so I can get back to work.

8. colorsound

May 15, 2009
    Detroit, MI
    I wish you all the best and I hope that if this game is ever finished, you'll have at least a couple of people still interested in it.

I think it would have been a better idea to go back and make the first game universal so ipad owners could play it in native res.
    That's the only reason I wanted a follow up in the first place.

9. schplurg

Unfortunately, I can no longer update the original game. I haven't been able to for a few years.

In other news, Dave 1 was accidentally removed from sale by Apple. Apple made a mistake with my dev renewal and it expired, even though I'd successfully renewed it weeks earlier. I'm mentioning this, in part, in case other devs had a similar problem. It's really a bummer as Dave was still in or near the top 100 paid racing. Who knows where it will go now.

It should be back on the store any time.

10. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Hey, Schplurg!
    Glad to hear you're doing okay, bud! Long time no see! I definitely haven't forgotten about you or your games! Been looking forward to number 2 for a long time, and wondered what happened to you! Yeah, never know what curve-balls life will throw at ya, right? Anyways, take care and do whatcha gotta do, and eventually you'll get around to it! I know it'll be worth the wait! Most importantly, hope you feel better!
    Your Friend,
    bigrand1

11. Kadoogan

Kadoogan Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Thanks for the reply schplurg.

Sorry to hear about the issues you have had. I'm glad we should get to see the game, although it sounds like it may well be some way off still. Hopefully you can at least give regular updates so we know what the progress is.

Thanks!

12. schplurg

Hello!

Thanks for the replies. Just confirming that, yes, I have actually sat down at my computer and am working on Dave full time again. I feel more relaxed now without worrying about a publisher - most people would kill for a publishing deal like that, but I've discovered that I work better on my own.

So, I got the bowling pins to register a score when they are hit. I can't remember if I ever described that jump to you, so I'll let you guess heh.

Daredevil Dave 1 is back on the App Store. Apple "forgot" that I paid my developer dues (a month in advance) and temporarily revoked my dev status. I paid a second time to get the game back up, then they refunded me. Fortunately Dave regained his place in the rankings after a few days - somehow ;)

It's going to be awhile before the game is done, but it will be completed. It's cool if you don't believe me (Duke Nukem Forever?), but I'll keep posting periodically anyways.

I can't promise when it will be done (as you know by now), but I promise this:
    - You will not need to pay for gas with real money to play Dave (pubs idea). :eek:
    - No timers, no pay walls or gold coins, no bullstuff.
    - It will be fun.

For those who have emailed me via the website, I apologize for not responding. My email is fried - I normally always answer every email but my ISP and webhost aren't getting along anymore.

Thanks for listening.

13. colorsound

May 15, 2009
    Detroit, MI
    Vaporware...?

Seriously though, I think polyphony works faster than this
    (I can't even remember 2011 when this thread was started)

14. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    It one guy in his spare time! Jeez nice way to encourage him :p

15. schplurg

Dave 2 Video Coming Today!

Hello!

I've put together a quick video of some new features of the game. It's basically 2 minutes of Dave crashing, burning and exploding in different ways ;)

I will post it here in this thread today. I just need to remember how to do it!

16. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Hey Schplurg, I'm looking forward to seeing the vid :D

17. schplurg

Daredevil Dave 2 Video!

The video isn't pretty or professional, but it should give you an indication of where the game is headed.

Main game features shown:

- Interactive and destroyable environments and objects
    - Freedom of movement within each environment. Crash and jump however you wish! Find secret areas and items.
    - Realtime Lighting and shadows
    - Flammable and explosive objects (flammable objects can be ignited by other burning objects)
    - Bigfoot. You get to hunt for Bigfoot on a motorcycle!
    - Bowling
    - You can cause major destruction!

Notes:

- There aren't many sounds in the game yet
    - Dave's character model is being completely rebuilt
    - The spectators/people in the game - yeah I know they all look the same right now :) I'm experimenting with people jumping out of the way, etc.
    - Game is unfinished. Some graphics and things in the video are temporary or experimental.

This video was made using an iOS simulator on a computer (you will notice a mouse pointer in some scenes). This was the easiest and fastest way to get the video done. Dave 2 runs great on iPad 2 and 3, and iPhone 5, and looks much better on those devices as well.

I have no clue how people will respond to this video - so please respond! :)

I am working on Dave full time.

18. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Holy sh-t!!!! I want Dave 2 so bad! This just surpassed Turbo Dismount as my # 1 most anticipated game for iOS. I will buy this the minute it drops on iTunes. :D

Richard

19. Harpgliss

Harpgliss Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Here No More
    Hi,

I was lucky enoght to win a redemption code for the first DD game and after seeing the video above, I look forward to buy this as soon as it is released.

Keep up the great work.

Now back to my spot up in the tree.

David

20. schplurg

Thanks for the comments, guys! I was getting depressed when nobody commented on the video yesterday ;) I'd say Dave takes "dismounting" to the extreme!!!

I'm not going to drag this game out for (more) years. I want to have it done in a matter of months (no, not 152 months!). That's all I will say as far as a release date goes.

I have such a blast testing this game that it eats into my development time. I can sit for 20 minutes crashing Dave and laughing like a dork instead of working on it :) Gotta stop doing that.

Any comments or questions are welcome!