Dark Asylum, attempting to create the scariest game to date for iphone

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by draper3000, Dec 3, 2010.

1. draper3000

draper3000 Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2010
    Video Editor and part time app designer...
    Staines, UK,

I like Dark Asylum, but it reminds me of the recent Batman films for what ever reason....

2. draper3000

Mar 24, 2010
    Staines, UK,
    the game is starting to scare me now...

small victorian girl standing in the shadows of the lift, with blackened out eyes, only visible when a shadow runs over her position.... bloody creepy with the music backdrop...

3. bebo_beta2002

bebo_beta2002 Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2010
    maybe " the shadow grudge " i like this name very much what u think ?
    just inspired from the grudge movie cause i really really wanna see a grudge game on the iphone :D

4. Tower Defender

Tower Defender Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    #44 Tower Defender, Dec 5, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
    I darn well wet myself from that description. INCLUDE IT :D.

Oh and out of the title choices you've picked. Steel Asylum sounds the best... Of course I like the title "The Asylum" better lol.

Lol here's another idea to expand on it (Although it may require a bit more coding lol)

If you notice stuff like that and you focus on it for lets say 10 seconds... the image of the said girl would interact with you and then disappear. She would ask "Can I help you?" or "Are you lost?" Something creepy lol... and then the image would disappear with a creepy childish giggle.

Lol maybe you can make those as a bonus objective lol. Everytime you catch one of these scenes you unlock something... maybe a bit of backstory in a bonus archive or something. Lol, now I'm running off into a weird tangent lol. Just love throwing ideas out there hahaha.

5. draper3000

Mar 24, 2010
    Staines, UK,
    #45 draper3000, Dec 5, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
    video update...

Ok, video update of the game

Showing posible shadow style, music, collectables menu, message text when you find something. And how it will zoom and fade to black when you click an item and it cuts to a close up...

Also at 54 seconds you can see the victorian child in the shadows as the main shadow flies past.

Feedback very welcome...

Also still thinking on what will be the perfect name.

I really like Steel Asylum, but think it will suffer with spelling, as people will have to explain that it is spelt

Steel, and not...

still
    steal

all of which would make sence...sort of... so something else would be ideal...

The Silence is cool...

6. Tower Defender

Apr 2, 2009
    Eek!! I saw it!!

7. GtotheA

GtotheA Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Austin, TX
    that was actually pretty awesome. I think if done correct and at the rights times it could really build up alot of suspense and fear. Just a question are the ghost of the children evil or good?

8. Musclegiant

Musclegiant Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2010
    I like Tower's idea a lot actually. Although biased, I still like my title, Steel Asylum, the best :D. PLEASE do not make the children the typical "creepy little zombie kids, are actually trying to help you figure out the mystery/save yourself". Make them evil, straight up. Nothing is scarier, in my opinion, than women/children ghouls in horror movies. Especially the one's with the long hair that scamper on the ceiling *shiver*.

9. John Papiomitis Games

Dec 6, 2010
    My favorite type of horror is how silent hill is. The actual conent isnt even that scary but i think the way the handled it was brilliant. Snow so you can hardly see in front of you, with light weird noises, then all of a sudden a loud horn goes off everything goes black then when you can see again everythings completly differnt and walls are melting. Ever since i saw that i fell in love with it.

I also love how you did the shadow walking by!

10. itman

itman Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Scary
    •Lots of gore / disguisting sounds
    •Surprise factor!
    •Suspense

Basically unless you can get the player to connect to the game and feel in the game they won't get scared by suspense of surprise. If the aim is to scare people it's going to be hard.

Also do you require beta testers? I have tested quite a few games.

11. itman

itman Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Arrrggghhhhrrgg!!!!!!!

12. Tower Defender

Apr 2, 2009
    #52 Tower Defender, Dec 6, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
    I disagree with a lot of gore. Gore makes... well gory movies, not scary movies. You are scared because well... it is disgusting... not because it is really scaring you. Some gore is good, but too much... well then you get SAW without the psychological stuff. ... and even then... SAW is played out <_<....

But I do agree with one thing that itman suggested. The game needs to grab the audience. I'm sure you have something planned already, but maybe a small story intro to get the player accustomed with the character you are controlling in the game. ... or maybe even better the game slowly reveals to you who the character is in the end. That's a little creepy in itself. Maybe you can pull a "Sixth sense" M. night twist just to make things creepier, like the guy you are controlling ends up being one of the lost souls lol. I'm just thinking out loud now lol.

13. bebo_beta2002

Jan 6, 2010
    the video is great i hope u add more shadows or appearing frightening kids in front of u also i haven't heard the background music well but heard there was one so can u share it with us maybe we would add some feedback about it?...also the storyline is important we would like to have some twists or unexcpected ending for example the guy u r playing with is actually a monster or something or the kid appearing in front of u is ur son :D
    just alot of ideas and thanks for the video keep up the good work :)

14. draper3000

Mar 24, 2010
    Staines, UK,
    #54 draper3000, Dec 6, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
    again..thanks...

Cheers for the replies again.

Glad you spotted the ghost in the shadows.

There will be a short pre-story sequence, only quick flashes before you awake in the lift, I'll then add these little flash backs now and again to build up the story for who your character is. And yes there is little twist planned for the ending...I'll not share that bit though, I would'nt want to ruin it for you.

(I'd wan the flash backs, and pre-story to be short sequences like 10 seconds, as on an iphone no one wants long cuts scenes...just short periods of game play only..)

Other scary idea.... - Children of the Corn (field)
    At some point, the childrens songs reach a climax, the lift walls disintegrate and you find yourself in the middle of a field of corn, with damn scary (evil) children looking at you with blackend out eyes and pointing straight at you. You click one and they fall down into the corn, but another one stands up. Click them in the right order, and they all fall down. They then jump up and run around you, singing 'ring a ring a roses.... ... we all fall down', lights dim. Your back in the lift, then the lift starts to fall..

What do you reckon?

Music: you should be able to hear some of the music track in the video.

Beta Testers: Will definately be on the hunt for some Beta Testers, to test and hopefully post their own reviews at some point. But will be a while before we reach that stage....I don't want to be tempted to get the game out quickly. if we can hold back and make sure there is at least 1 hours worth of game play that would be ideal. Then plan to add more gameplay via free updates, if the game is a success...(successful enough for those involved to work on it full time).

I do like 'Steel Asylum' a lot... will people spell it right?

15. olliewollie

olliewollie Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Student
    Australia
    The game looks great at the moment. Can't wait for more videos and screenshots. Good work, keep it up. :)

16. bebo_beta2002

Jan 6, 2010
    i like the children corn idea very much and i hope to see that scary faces in the final game..i hope i get in beta testing too and it be really soon :)
    as for the name i like it very much but still sticking to the grudge name lol...or the asylum grudge maybe :D

17. draper3000

Mar 24, 2010
    Staines, UK,
    Glad you like the Children of the corn idea...hopefully it can be pretty damn scary...

Not sure about the grudge, I really liked the japanse version...the version with Sarah Michelle Gellar/Buffy tainted it a bit for me...though still a good film...

18. WickedAwesome

WickedAwesome Active Member

May 8, 2010
    Concept Wizard
    Melbourne, Australia
    This made the hair on the back of my neck stand up!
    Not the biggest fan of horror but I'd be interested in seeing how this plays out.
    A suggestion from someone who doesnt like being scared about something that creeps the hell out of me is moving darkness or darkness forming a humanoid shape.

If you can imagine moving through a darkened corridor when the solid shadow on the wall moves...erk!

Horror...think ill stick with light hearted comedy.

Good luck!

19. Musclegiant

Musclegiant Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2010
    I don't wanna knit pick, but I think constructive criticism is a good thing to bring the best out of games. Victorian children, steel area, and cornfields? I don't know, doesn't all match up. Personally I don't think it should be a corn field. If you want to implement something like that, do it perhaps in a creepy/messed up child's play room with toys all over the ground, giving the children cover when they "fall down". Perhaps add hints of evil within the toys themselves. Just ideas. If you could ever afford the resources, I highly suggest taking this idea further beyond the simple point and click into something of a survival horror game. I know that is a lot of man hours and money, but if this game does well you will have a strong fan following to hype it.

20. NaughtHere

NaughtHere Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2010
    I strongly recommend not listening to people in this thread. Horror is not just a bunch of gimmicks from movies.

You need to start with a good story. What are the reasons scary things are happening? Who is the protagonist and what is his motivation? Why should we be scared for him?

I suggest reading up on psychological horror too. Just remember that lots of meaningless screams and gore is not going to appeal to, or scare, anyone but the lowest common denominator.