iPad Dark Gate by Kemco / Kotobuki

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Vovin, Oct 16, 2012.

1. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    yeah, every Kemco game has gone down to a buck at some point in time, so it'd probably be a good idea to just play through them as you get them, and as you do, chances are a sale for one you haven't picked up yet will be right around the corner.

Though... I do believe that all of Kemco's games were fantastic, and well worth it at their original $8.99 prices. =oP

2. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    These are the two i have in addition to Dark Gate and I love them both. Maybe I should just buy all of their games. Hmm...

This one though, is like the odd one.

3. Melanosol

Melanosol Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2012
    England
    I don't know what we're doing different, but I've now closed some 15-20 gates and I almost always use the rough composition of;

Leo, front row and using armour EQ and helm EQ and then for the early gates a shield and later on dual wielding claws. Non elemental damage, mug as default command and two sword or claw skills, great shield (which I've never used) and swap around the fourth.

Caffie swaps between front and back row, mug primary command, whatever armour her current job allows with either sword and w-grip or spear to use the most applicable elemental weapon. Same skill format as Leo.

Sandy is always back row and keeps healing skills on her selection (ultra heal, alheal, clean slate which is amazing for bosses as it removes mirror, and resurrect), mug default command, shield EQ passive and staff EQ so she can always use an elemental rod.

Liza is my full time back row offensive caster. Mug default command, Passives are dedicated to always having the correct elements available. Skills are always the best single target spell of the strong element for the area, the best aoe of that element, silence and then the equivalent level of the element that combines with the single target (fire and thunder, ice and wind). I usually find just focusing the one element is fine but for some things the combination is very useful (for those who don't know how it works, have one person cast the two equal level fire/thunder or ice/wind spell at the same time. IE two skill orbs together).

They all trained in the elemental wizard profession for the resistance Passives which are ALWAYS equipped. Just equip the two that your target elemental area uses. Then I use the resistance gear from the stores to ensure that I have both resistances at 100. Now you only take melee damage. Later on you can absorb them and heal from it without using gear on it.

I'm not saying it's the best or only way, but it really works well. Only died to one boss early because I didn't have a second element resistance equipped yet. Always have your characters training a new job at all times, try to complete the tiers in order so that you have maximum passive slots in harder areas later. I've recently unlocked (at level 50+) some awesome jobs by completing some combination of jobs on lower tiers, and it really adds options!

4. banger1103

banger1103 Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Do you think this one is worth it for $0.99? Even with all the grinding?

5. EroNasubi

EroNasubi Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2010
    For me personally, it is worth the original price (the more with the promo $0.99) precisely because of the grinding...
    It is so much fun to grind to unlock new jobs / skills and try them out.. ;)

Btw, I just defeated the Dark Mask, on my third attempt with my lvl23-ish..
    It's my cute Lisa who do the damage, using thunder-based spells..
    Took awhile though, coz my other three members deal 0 dmg :D
    It is fun to observe the weakness of the enemies and formulate a working strategy to defeat them.. If he cast strong ice spells, either you counter with silent or wear ice-resistance armor. You won't get one-hit KO for sure..

So far, this is the best Kemco game for me..

6. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Yes... I do.

Even with all of the grinding that I'm going through, I feel like I still haven't got a great grasp of the game. But now that I'm finding out that you can mix spells depending on how many casting orbs you have, using my passive skills to have more resistance to the enemies whenever I go into a new area, and leveling up jobs consistently, it's becoming a very deep RPG, which I did NOT expect when I first started it up. I'm actually thinking of starting the game over now because I was just going about it all in the wrong way.

There's a massive amount of customization here, and I wasn't taking advantage of it, and wasn't checking in at civilian houses for tips... and though it would be nice to have a more depthy help section to go with the game, and maybe have the game ease you into the job system and perks and spell orbs more at the beginning, I still can't ignore that this is an RPG with a HUGE amount of depth when it comes to customization.

I know back in the beginning of the game, I leveled my characters jobs up one tier at a time, and then left them at tier 3 jobs for quite some time because I thought I was doing alright with it that way. I'm pretty sure I was just lucky getting through the first 4 dark gates (the one that you're introduced to, and then 3 of the 4 of them after you get a 4th member) so easily after grinding and leveling up, getting better armor and weapons, fleeing a lot of battles against enemies that I wasn't equipped to take on at the time, and so on. But I know I didn't change my jobs for a while, and I think that's what really caused a lot of my need for grinding.

So do I think it's worth the buck... hell yes. If you're looking for an RPG that has a large amount of depth, both in warrior and mage classes, and a great job system that grows so long as you keep letting it. There is still grinding involved, as far as I can tell, but not nearly as much as I thought there was, and the quests are basically all the same (there's 4 different towns/areas to visit, each with their own elemental enemies, but each guild in each town gives you the same quests for their areas - defeat x number of enemies, visit this soldier, defeat dark gate, ect) - so there's not a lot of variety in quests, but the variety within everything else really does help to make up for it.

Sorry, I've ranted a little... but I thought that I needed to make it clear that I really had no clue that Dark Gate was this deep when I got into it, and expecting it to be another pretty simple to understand equip/upgrade system like Kemco's other games is really what held me back.

But yes, I do feel that it's definitely worth picking up for a buck.

7. banger1103

banger1103 Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Wow that sounds great. I've been looking for a deep RPG and this sounds like it could be really good. The level of depth and strategy needed to do well in this game is also appealing. I just wanted to hear this wasn't a grindfest like Zenonia :p. Anyways I'll be picking this up and I'll be sure to post impressions. Thanks to both ofnyou guys, and esp SV for your always detailed impressions :D

8. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    So i fired this game up today and i was just done with the first gate. So far, impressed. I just hope the wall issue doesnt get to me full on.

9. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    I'm still not sure about this one. I started a new game and still ended up dying even just trying to get to one of the four towns.

I don't mind a challenge in an RPG, especially one where the difficulty ramps up as it should. Other games that have had complicated job systems, etc., at least help you ease into it. Yes, maybe some townspeople give you clues, but it seems like this game still throws you to the wolves.

Maybe it's my old age and lack of time to deal with it :rolleyes:. I might give it a go on easy and try my luck. Otherwise I may just push it to the side and suck up the whopping $1 investment.

10. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Woh... I have never had so much trouble playing the game... even heading to the 4 towns. A little bit of grinding required, but camp grinding the HP/MP spots are the solution. I have just arrived at my second town, where you need to deliver letters to.

Im playing Normal mode, so im not sure what you guys are referring to that's too difficult. And everyone in my party is Lv6. Im actually thinking of buying IAP to get the Job Points Up IAP. I hope that that lessens my grinding and not destroy the game at all.

I am just enjoying this one, and it looks to be a very promising RPG. Cant wait to see if id hit the 4 Gate Boss walls mentioned on the thread.

11. Melanosol

Aug 5, 2012
    England
    That's exactly it. The game even pushes you into it later by offering somewhat substantial kill quests in which the mobs you want are most numerous right next to these. There's also a point near the end where you'll be able to max everything in what feels like minutes, too.

12. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Well, tried Easy mode and it is a LOT easier. Don't usually like to settle for anything but normal difficulty, but just was frustrated enough to to do it with this one. Not a single one of those enemies that take no damage. And got to the first of my four towns without any difficulty (only one battle where one of my party was killed).

Guess my plan is to try to get used to the game and figure out the job system (which in previous games never seemed to be as dramatically important as they are in this game) then, hopefully, switch to normal difficulty.

I'm used to games where, as Exect-Psience mentioned once before, you can play through games with different jobs/builds to see how it affects gameplay. Not so much ones where you NEEDED a certain job to even get by certain enemies.

But I did realize that the civilian houses do give you some good into. We'll see, I want to like this game. It's just much different than Kemco's other efforts. And I'm sorry, but I still feel there should have been more "training" or something to help understand the job system and it's importance.

13. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Well, quickly found out that Easy mode isn't all that much easier. Made it to the first of the four towns with no problem. Completed two of the three guild quests with no issue. Made it up to level 6 for all my characters and was trying to mix up jobs as well. But that third guild quest to get an Axe from another town was my downfall. Went back to the main city and the store didn't have an Axe.

So I decided to travel to another city and one of the civilian house's recommended that I take along a supporter. So I made sure one of my characters was a supporter. I got my a** handed to me in every single battle through those woods, getting sleep spells on me, doing no damage and having to flee each battle. Tried to flee the last battle and wasn't able to do it in time so I died.

Unfortunately, thinking I was doing well I hadn't been saving (which was stupid no matter if I was doing well or not). So now I'm back to the first town and down to level 4 characters.

I don't know. This just isn't clicking with me.

14. Melanosol

Aug 5, 2012
    England
    #94 Melanosol, Oct 22, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
    If you click resume after dying it takes you back to just before your last fight. The reason for the supporter there is the poison and spell all spells. If you're constantly being put to sleep then get the accessory that makes you immune to it. If you can't find an axe, set someone to thief and put steal at the top of their command list so I becomes their default, though I can't remember which area mobs give you axes. I completed all those item requiring quests through that, and steal/mug is required for 8 or 9 quests later.

Edit: there's an axe in a chest in reve forest.

15. Rokrdude

Rokrdude Well-Known Member

May 14, 2011
    Sorry but I cant find any resume button after I die.May be resume option is only in easy difficulty.Infact this is the only gripe I have with this game so far.

Other than that loving it:D

16. Melanosol

Aug 5, 2012
    England
    That's odd, I have it in all 3 difficulties. My title screen goes Resume, New Game, Load Game, Option, Collection.

17. Rokrdude

May 14, 2011
    #97 Rokrdude, Oct 22, 2012
    What the hell just found out it is in the main menu:eek:
    Normally it should be right after we die

Thanks!:D

Just found out you can assign passive skills and command skill in skill menu
    This game keeps getting better and better

18. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #98 Exact-Psience, Oct 22, 2012
    In all honesty, this game is f***** brilliant.

It's the skill/job system that is this game's strongest point. So far I have 3 letters delivered, with a Sword Expert (Leo), Sniper (Caffie) and a Trickster (Sandy). NO HEALERS. Leo deals the most damage with W-Grip (using 2-hands on a one-handed weapon) and his skills, Caffie with Lob which hits all, and best shot that deals decent damage, and Sandy with MagicAll enhanced Sleep and Poisons.

Im looking forward to getting Sandy to max her Trickster levels so i can start learning some healing spells which i skipped because i didnt see it was any necessary. Im also looking for a 3rd member that can throw a barrage of spells non-stop for some magic damage.

Just to add... I have never bought any items whatsoever (healing or equips) and I have survived for all this time. No deaths yet, but had a close call when i first encountered 2 Nuts type enemies that put my whole party to sleep. Luckily my Sandy was gonna cast Sleep with All before she got to sleep so when sleep wore out she in turn casted sleep on both nuts. Then I escaped, having no real spellcaster in the party... That was the reason i had to equip Poison. :D

For those wondering how i did it... When you get to a dungeon (area with enemies), I dont go for the items yet. Instead I save the game, then I rush it to get to the area's heal spot. Then i grind til everything's manageable before I go exploring. Hope that helps.

19. Ven

Ven New Member

Oct 22, 2012
    I was able to kill the dark mask in 1 attack. You simply get one member proficient in both wind and ice magic, select one of those classes and add the other so that you can carry both glacier (or whatever the best ice magic is called) and ultra wind, you then wait for that character to have to red skill orbs (which allows you to select 2 attacks), obviously you select both the strong wind and ice attack, and bam! Said character casts diamond dust x causing 5k damage and you win. Your welcome.

20. Rokrdude

May 14, 2011
    #100 Rokrdude, Oct 22, 2012
    I have a question which class should I select to acquire element based attacks.

As of now even after completing magician,trickster and bishop classes all I am getting is support based magic attacks like death,all heal and so on.

I have acquired element based rods but nothing for doing combo element based attacks