Universal Dark Incursion (By Big Blue Bubble)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by goiMot, Oct 20, 2011.

1. JeNeI

JeNeI Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Student
    Romania
    To those who have the game.Does it have Game Center Achievements?

2. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Yes, but I haven't been able to unlock any yet. It might be like Pocket RPG though, in that they're awarded at the end of a level. Haven't gotten that far yet...

14 achievements, 450 points all up, but I can't say whether they work yet. I'll get back to you on that if I discover something.

3. adamphetamine

adamphetamine Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Programmer/3D Modeling
    Bethlehem, Pa
    Yeah game is pretty ok right now at maybe 2.5 stars but with updated controls game will def be 5 stars IMO.

4. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Fix for jump (when virtual joypad won't react after jump button is pressed) will be submitted today. Same goes for crouch right after shooting.
    Do you guys feel anything else need to be improved in terms of controls ?

5. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Maybe let us move left and right after we started a jump?

It's not a big deal, but is annoying when I'm aware of it.

Thanks for a quick fix, you are awesome!

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Love the game, glad there'll be an update.

Would like the screen to flip round depending on how youre holding your ipod.

But love the game, a mix of Green Beret/Strider and a bit more. Bought it a few minutes ago and had a quick play, very good game

7. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    An option to fix the virtual joystick in one place would be very helpful. Perhaps left as right buttons and a downward gesture on the left hand side for crouching? They key is for the controls to work consistently.

8. caanerud

caanerud Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    I really wish Konami would hire Wayforward to make a Castlevania game for IOS. Or maybe they could just get the team together who made the GBA / DS games. Or even just release ports of the older games.

This one looks very cool, but I'll wait for an update or two and see if things improve. Thanks for your response, Stagger.

9. caanerud

Mar 28, 2011
    The early Castlevania games (and Ghouls & Ghosts) didn't allow for course-correction when jumping, either. This may have been a conscious design decision (although probably not a popular one).

10. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I am wondering if you guys can point out the game with the same control mechanic that has virtual controls done right. I wasn't able to find any that I can say 'this is the best way to do it'. Some of them had very good controls but game-play is slightly different than ours so we can't really use the same approach.

11. Scarecroww

Scarecroww New Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Wouldn't a virtual d-pad work for this game? I haven't tried the game yet, but d-pads usually work well with 2d games.

Kinda like these random images from google:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Just have the d-pad freely movable in settings so we can have it where we want it perhaps?

12. Trev1

Trev1 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Chef
    NYC/CT...USA
    Very glad to see controls getting fixed ! I really wanna get into this game and wont even mind makin a IAP or two...love these kind of games and look forward to a update!

13. caanerud

Mar 28, 2011
    Most games like this would avoid ducking so they can just do left/right movement (Elemental Rage pops to mind). Ghosts 'N Goblins has a pretty good D-pad. Ghost Ninja: Zombie Beatdown controls pretty well with a 4-way d-pad.

I liked Sad Princess' controls as well, but I know many folks didn't.

14. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

Robot Wants Kitty
    Muffin Knight
    Robot Riot
    Grokion

Personally, I find the Left/Right slider method works best, with a separate button for jumping. Perhaps also another button for crouching, which will still allow horizontal movement without compromising control accuracy.

15. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I agree. 4-directional d-pacs don't work as well with platformers IMO. Perhaps crouching could be a toggle -- you stay down until you hit it again. As I mentioned before, a downward gesture could work as well (again as a toggle -- swipe up to stand).

16. Leegames

Leegames Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ex. game journalist and EiC now PR
    Denmark
    #56 Leegames, Oct 20, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
    This game desperately needs an option for controls!

A fixed pad! Not this annoying thing that makes your finger slide of the screen whenever you want to move more than a second at a time.

On ipad it should be possible to costumize size or at least placemenet.

If the developers are reading. Please add least a FIXED pad.

Great music, amazing game, nice style and what looks like a great metroidvania-style game is hidden here I am sure.

I wont be playing it till the controls are fixed though. :(

...Good examples of controls in my opinion:

NyxQuest, Pizza Boy, Archibald, Lars, Frogatto, Robot Wants Kitty and MOS Speedrun

Letting us keep the pad in place, and being able to adjust size and placements would be enough though.

17. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

I like the idea of a toggle, since that frees up a finger for other actions and gives you better control over how long you can crouch for. When you think about it, toggling crouch is pretty standard for console games for the same reasons.

18. caanerud

Mar 28, 2011
    I am confused...the first screen shot of the game shows some sort of virtual pad on the bottom left, but you guys are all saying that the movement is based on touching (and dragging/swiping) anywhere on the screen?

19. Leegames

Leegames Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ex. game journalist and EiC now PR
    Denmark
    #59 Leegames, Oct 20, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
    It's a floating pad, and it slowly moves towards where your finger is. EG. if you keep running right, you finger will suddenly end up in the middle of the screen unless you constantly reposition the pad. And on an iPad it feels even worse if you play with your thumbs, the lenght your thumb has to "travel" on the buttons is way beyond comfortable. So it ends up feeling like you are desperately swiping to keep playing.

20. Cyacene

Cyacene Member

Apr 15, 2011
    How about using Joypad for ipad control? its free to use the API's (as far as I know) and then we could do wireless airplay to our TV's.