Universal Dark Incursion (By Big Blue Bubble)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by goiMot, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Pseven7

Pseven7 Active Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Mobile Game Producer / Designer
    Ottawa, Canada
    I'll just repeat what everyone here has already said. Looks great, the mechanics are sound, but the controls... they're terrible. I haven't been able to jump onto a single "Ice Pillar" yet - Moving horizontally in the air is extremely challenging.

please update!

2. Robotwars

Robotwars Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Game could be really fun but yeah.. controls are just not my thing. Everything else is fantastic so far.

3. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    I age with what just said. The ducking is just a pain! If you fix that as well as making jumping easier, this would be a fantastic game!

4. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Well that's why I said maybe. It's a personal preference and doesn't really bother me that much.

5. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Sadly and regrettably, I pushed the game with the controls and reached my first true boss fight around 1 hour in. I must admit though, the game just falls short of any and all expectations.

Here's why:
    1. Repetitive enemies and patterns. I've only encountered 6 enemies in the hour of gameplay. They all have extremely simple attack patterns and require nothing other than time to defeat. The game now feels like a lite platformer with some elements of action.
    2. Cheap enemies and positions. Some enemies will unfairly deal damage to you even after they die (the swordsman) and some enemies spawn at cheap positions that force you to take damage. Namely in situations where you approach the enemy from a lower position or platform.
    3. No MAP???

6. Mr. Grizzly

Mr. Grizzly Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    How do you get the elevators to work? I did get the fuse to activate it - but when I got back to the elevators, no fuse and can't figure out how to make it work.

7. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

8. caanerud

caanerud Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Well, I couldn't resist and just picked this up. I can't say the controls are perfect but they are far from horrible. You just need to lift your thumb up briefly every once in a while, and when crouching try moving your thumb in a diagonal-forward-down motion.

Beautiful graphics, fun gameplay, good music, interesting story, secrets to find....I'm really liking it so far.

9. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Game Impressions

I don't have as much of an issue with the movement control as others have reported, but do agree it could be better. A worse problem for me is the inability to reposition the on-screen buttons. On the iPad this makes the game extremely uncomfortable to play. The "fuse" button is just about unreachable.

Other issues:

-No flip-screen.
    -Idiotic enemy AI.

Overall, I agree there appears to be an interesting and engaging gameplay experience buried under various technical issues.

10. Arq24

Arq24 Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Are they gonna fix those contrlos anytime soon?
    thx

11. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Yes, new update is submitted.

12. Arq24

Arq24 Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Instant buy after update.
    Thanks

13. caanerud

caanerud Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Thanks Stagger. Love the graphics and the atmosphere.

14. adamphetamine

adamphetamine Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Programmer/3D Modeling
    Bethlehem, Pa
    What does this update include? God I hope control rehash, but would like some other things mentioned as well. But first those awful controls.

15. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Only new controls and few minor bug fixes. Next one will be more extensive, we wanted to fix the control issue ASAP.

16. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Very nice game, but two flaws:
    - Very awkward controls, I always face the wrong way when crouching and shooting since you have to get up + move in order to change direction you're shooting; also not a fan of the control stick that follows where your finger is
    - Unplayable framerate on older devices (anything below iPhone3GS/iPod3)
    To dev: it helps to actually include what system it's compatible for in your app description... I have an iPod 4G so I'm not complaining too much about not being able to play on my old iPhone, but some people might.

17. foxmulderino

foxmulderino Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Student
    Italy
    I will buy it with new controls! waiting for update :)

18. dark1x

dark1x Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Any chance that a future update will include support for 60 frames per second? That makes a WORLD of difference for these types of games and the iPhone4s/iPad2 could both very easily support that.

19. AceWizard

AceWizard Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2011
    Studying to become an Electrician
    Sweden
    Woah! This and Mage Gauntlet on the same day? Best day ever! :D

Wasn't expecting this so early, was hoping i could finish Mage Gauntlet before it came out, oh well. :) My weekend is saved.

20. Bertman

Bertman Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    This game looks so good. Hope the update works.