Universal Dark Incursion (By Big Blue Bubble)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by goiMot, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Mr. Grizzly

Mr. Grizzly Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    Has anyone activated the elevators? How do you do that, or is there sonewhere else to go after you defeat the second big robot and get the fuse?

2. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Stand on top of the yellow generator thing, equip your electric fuse and use the skill/ability just like the ice fuse.

3. Mr. Grizzly

Mr. Grizzly Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    The thing right beside each elevator or something else on that level? Also, I didn't see the fuse in the menu when I was viewing the others. Perhaps a glitch - maybe I need to replay the level or restart the game - but first I will try to locate that generator you are referring to.

4. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    I don't recall any of the Castlevania games running at 60fps...

5. TravisR2H

TravisR2H Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2011
    I would love ICade support for this! Looks great if they can iron out some issues.

6. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Sooo, aside from the controls, is there a good game underneath? I'm interested, now that an update fixing the controls are on the way.

Is it Metroidvania style or linear like Contra?

7. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    It's like the first level of Contra stuffed into a Metroidvania game, copied and pasted with platform variations and cheap enemy placements.
    You will also shoot a lot of boring and repetitive brain-dead enemies that pose little challenge.

8. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    hey guys, i can't read texts on my 3G... anyone with the same problem?
    and please devs, put an option to flip the screen!!!

9. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    In a word... Maybe. :D

10. caanerud

caanerud Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    I think the game is great, personally. The existing D-Pad isn't ideal, but I quickly got used to lifting my thumb off of when needing to duck.

I'm not sure how long the game is, but for $2 it really seems like a good deal for me. If you like the later Castlevanias or Super Metroid then you should feel right at home here. Just downloaded like 8 games and this, Whale Trail, and Mage Gauntlet are all I've been playing.

11. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Well, the reason I said "maybe," is because the only reason the controls are working well enough for me at the moment is because of the game's idiotic AI and general lack of challenge. If the latter two happen to ramp up their game in later levels, the controls will quickly push past the point of acceptable frustration.

What I very much like about the game is its sense of setting and style. The outer shell design is excellent and compelling. The upgrade system feels fresh and just "works." But the controls and the AI need to be fixed, and fixed together to balance each other out when "fixed," since now they happen to balance each other out when "broken." At least through the first couple of levels I played.

12. caanerud

Mar 28, 2011
    What is so idiotic about the AI? The enemies shoot at you, and have certain attack patterns. This isn't Metal Gear Solid or Gears of War.

13. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    From what i've seen so far, the AI seems just about as smart as that of Castlevania:SotN -- enemies move in set patterns. But perhaps they get "dumber" as you go further into the game (I wouldn't know, since I'm waiting for the control fix).

14. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    The enemy is predictable. This is what he means. To the point that if duck works correctly, we need to just duck and wait, then shoot.

15. caanerud

Mar 28, 2011
    Indeed. Well, I grew up in the 16-bit era so I'm not expecting Einstein AI and attack patterns I guess.

16. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    The enemies are quite simply not even fun or interesting to defeat. One contributing factor to this boredom is that the player's attacks lack variety - long range shooting and short range sword/melee attack. And it's the same freaking animation repeated throughout the game.

Castlevania had a freaking huge arsenal of weapons, equipments and souls (skills) that the player can use so the game would've felt different even if you were fighting 6 enemies throughout the whole game.

17. dark1x

dark1x Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Err, what? Every single 2D Castlevania game from the NES days to the modern era runs at 60 fps. I can't think of one single exception. The series has always run at 60 fps in 2D and even occasionally in 3D (the 3D PS2 games were 60). What on earth gave you the idea that they did not?

Regardless, this game would look and play better at 60 fps. The current version runs at a very unstable framerate (not even a smooth 30 as there is a lot of jittering). Considering the power of these devices, I'd say there's no excuse for such a low framerate at this point.

18. caanerud

Mar 28, 2011
    Most 2D IOS games have a less-than-stellar framerate. I don't understand it, given the power of the hardware.

19. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    I hope the control fix update hits soon, I've really been wanting to play this without fighting the controls.

20. dark1x

dark1x Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    A lot of the best games DO actually run at a smooth 60 fps. I just looked at my phone and 90% of the games I keep installed run that well.

It's growing increasingly common, thankfully.

All of the Cave shooters are 60 fps as are the Half Brick games, the Rocket Cat games, the Donut Games titles, and stuff like Assault Squadron, Grim Joggers, Bumpy Road, Canabalt (was added), Bean's Quest, 1-Bit Ninja, Pizza Boy, MOS Speedrun, Gravity Hook, Scribblenauts, and more.

The art in Dark Incursion is extremely well done and seeing everything move at 60 fps would result in one of the best looking 2D games on the platform.