iPad Dark-Quest / Dark-Quest HD (by Brain Seal Ltd)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Vovin, Apr 16, 2013.

1. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Unless you load Space Crusade into your Commodore 64 app of course! ;)

For those of you not into hacking apps, the aforementioned C64 app has Lazer Squad as a free IAP, and the Elite Spectrum ZX app has a fantastic Jullian Gollop IAP pack...

2. riChchestMat

riChchestMat Well-Known Member

I can see a takedown incoming from Games Workshop very soon on this. A lot of the art is to close to Hero Quest and Advanced Hero Quest. MB licensed the former but they are GW games and unauthorised GW games don't tend to last very long.
    Makes me nostalgic though.

3. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    True.

I believe at one point I tried to install Space Crusade on iDos, but I don't quite recall the outcome.

I think the overall idea was that controlling with a finger things that need mouse precision wasn't the best thing to do. :)

4. grits

grits Well-Known Member

May 28, 2012
    Can we start having one thread for each game. It's really ridiculous seeing 2 icons for the same game pop up, one for iPhone and one for iPad. What do you guys think? Should they consolidate or is it worth having two threads?

5. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Sanuku: written impressions from you? How are you finding it so far?

I finished the first mission, it's fun so far, though with 7 adventures only, I wonder about longevity.

About your video, though, is it in an iPhone or iPad? Can you zoom out?

Cheers,
    Paulo

6. Kotovsky

Kotovsky Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    So, here is the downside
    1. Lack of content. Loot is a scarce. There is 1 weapon, 1 shield, 4 spells and 1 skill(disarm trap)
    2. There is no saves, so if you fail you more likely to start level again.
    3. Sometimes your men can't attack from the others back.
    4. There is almost no one-time items. If you get hard beating, you will loose in the next combat.
    5. The overall feeling is the game is 80% luck based. Atacks is luck based, loot is luck based, wizard skulls of destiny is luck based.

7. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Thought I best pick this me up quick, judging by the screen shots side by side with warhammer quest I have a feeling this might get pulled, gamesworkshop seem to be hitting the App Store big time this year and might not like the look of this. Well bought it anyway, I'll leave some impressions after I play it later on.

8. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Hm. I see.

Well, let's see how it goes. To be honest, the board game was somewhat luck-based, in the sense that it was dice-rolling. I still believe there are some tactics at play here when defeating the enemies - especially when they gang up on you, or bosses. Thanks to a previous tip, manually controlling the other characters is quite helpful - and done in a smart way as in, if you don't need them at the moment, they'll be automatically controlled. The skull of fate thing sometimes gets a bit on my nerves, but maybe it's because I had an unlucky run of 3 times consecutively losing 1 health with it.

For saves, I don't completely dislike the idea of starting the level if I lose - perma-death would be worse! - but what annoys me the most is not being able to save the game during a dungeon, if necessary. That's a pain. Still, save slots could be helpful, though I would always feel like I'm kind of cheating, if I'd be reloading a save game from where I was defeated. :)

For the attacks from others back, I believe only ranged attacks can be done in that way, or are you saying it doesn't always work? Have you tried to manually control the character to force an attack? Could it be that the character does not have enough move points to do the attack and then get back to where it was?

As for skills, spells and one-time items, I can't really vouch for it since I don't have enough money to buy anything. I just rested at the tavern/inn between quests.

Cheers!

9. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Wow, there is a surprising plethora of RPG board games right now. This looks like a good one to play with Mighty Dungeons, can't wait for Talisman next week. :)

10. araczynski

araczynski Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2009
    programmer
    omaha, ne
    very tempting, but limited turns is an instant ignore for me. too bad they didn't make it an option in settings, i don't care how generous they are in the # of turns you get, i'm part of the map explorer's guild, not the epenis guild.

11. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England

Talisman?

12. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
  13. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

1. You're not far into the game.
    2. It auto-saves on my device without problems.
    3. That's where the tactics come into play. Correct positioning = win.
    4. That also needs strong ractical decisions.
    5. Like you're throwing dice in Hero Quest / Warhammer Quest.

14. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

#55 Sanuku, Apr 16, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
    About the Game:

I really like it so far. It`s nice to see that the Game has a Story Plot & Village Part where I can upgrade my Stats. Te limited turns are adding a really nice Feature to the Game that will probably make each Fight a bit more challenging since you have to make sure that you use your hole Team always and not just play the Game as an lone Wolf with your Warrior.

I don`t have a Problem with the current Loot since the early Game Work Shop Table Top Games had also a shitload of luck involved and I still loved them as a Kid.

Zoom Out:

I tried it but it isn`t added yet also it doesn`t matter since the Region you haven`t entered yet are grayed out anyway so it doesn`t matter that much that you can`t Zoom Out..

iPhone/iPad:

The Recording was created with the iPhone Build but just a Moment after I had finished uploading the Gameplay Trailer the Developer reached out to me and sent me an Promo Code for the iPad Build.

A Quick Look at the iPad Build showed me that the iPhone/iPad Builds are similar and therefor at the current Point I strongly would advise the Developer to make the iPad Build Universal to actually add some more value to it because otherwise they might have a hard time while explaining why they are charging 3x for an iPad Build.

Final Conclusion:

It`s pretty much the same like with any Rovio/... Game where the iPad Build is sold seperatly:

The Game is great and I really enjoy playing it but at the same time I don`t understand why the iPad Version isn't an Universal Build while at the same time being sold for the 3x of the iPhone Build.

At the current Point I would rate the iPhone Build with 4/5 and the iPad Build 3/5. I probably would upgrade the iPad Build to 4/5 if it would become an Universal Build later one.

1. As soon as you reach the Town/City you will be able to upgrade your Skills & Gear. I honestly don`t know why you are complaining about it since I even thought that the Game is handling it very fair for the first few Gameplay Minutes.

2 + 3 + 4. Let me get it straight - You don`t like the Game because it is demanding a bit of planning ahead of each Fight?

5. The fights aren`t luck based. It all depends on how you position your Team Members. If you put your Dwarf in Front of your Mage I can guarantee you that you can rush through each Dungeon if there would be no Mage in it.

15. mttbstrd666

mttbstrd666 Active Member

Mar 14, 2013
    I also have an ipod touch 4G and am having the same exact problem.

16. drloony

drloony Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2012
    That's the most elaborate game breakdown I've seen Sanuku give. I was gonna skip this after Mighty Dungeon kinda left me wanting, but now I dunno. As mentioned in this thread Talisman is around the corner and I really hope it turns out as good as we all hope it will

17. starcat

starcat Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2010
    wtf?

i click on the icon and it never loads.. shuts down.

18. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    I was seriously thinking the same thing, Sanuku is serious about this one :)

19. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Yes, I love having one combined thread. Please, let's have more of that.