iPad Dark-Quest / Dark-Quest HD (by Brain Seal Ltd)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Vovin, Apr 16, 2013.

1. john360

john360 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Great game ( kind of a board game ), its just that everytime you role the skull of fate? You hardly win and once you lose, you lose hard. Haha... Good game though.

2. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    I would expect that to be something that could be fixed by the developer. Have you tried contacting him? I don't think he reads these forums.

3. argibaltzi

argibaltzi Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Developer here :)

Hello everyone!

- We are aware of the ipod 4th gen crash and it has been fixed, we will be issuing a patch sometime today for review.

- We seen there is also an IPad 1st gen crash which we're almost certain is related to limited memory. The HD version has quite high res artwork and it will be a challenge to make it work, however if an IPad 1st gen owner can email us and help us get a test build to make it work it would be great!

- As far as some game mechanics are concerned, the game actually rolls dice behind it. There is an adventure luck factor involved in many things to make it a little more challenging. Having said that the game relies solely on strategy to achieve victory and a good play will almost always win.

- The skull of fate is a random trigger and its the sorcerers attempt to torment your soul for his own sick amusement by sometimes helping you and sometimes throwing obstacles at you. There is no way to avoid this other than finishing the game as fast as possible.

Thank you very much!!

4. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    If there is dice rolls behind the mechanics is there any possibility of adding in the dice rolls so we can see the results on the screen? This would go a huge way to making it have that board game feel.

5. argibaltzi

argibaltzi Member

Apr 17, 2013
    I know what you mean, we had that in the begining but once we added the sword and shield animation it was a lot more fun and kept it as is.
    You can see an old video how the dice showing mechanic worked originally which is more to what you are asking:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeDSylho3v0

When you attack it shows how many attack points you scored on your roll and then it shows how many defense points the enemy scored and then you do the math in your head...

6. PapaT

PapaT Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2011
    UK
    Just a question on longevity - after completing is there any point in playing the game again? i.e. better score, different party mix etc.

7. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Hi, and welcome!

It's great to have you here in the forums with us to discuss the game.

I've been meaning to ask: would you consider having a temporary auto-save state at the end of each turn, so that if we leave the game and come back, we can continue from where we left off? Of course, if one dies, you can send it back to the village as they were in the current save system.

Also, are more quests and/or characters in the plans?

Cheers, and great game so far!

8. argibaltzi

argibaltzi Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Its worth playing a second time as you have a better understanding how things work and can explore new strategies and ideas and of course get a better high score!
    Personally i have played this game a million times and it never ceases to amaze me the amount of variery in dice rolls you can get and out of blue find yourself in a challenging position.

On a side note, the top scorer managed to get a score higher than i have ever managed which makes me curious how he did it... :cool:

9. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Ah I see, I was thinking more like the dice in hero mages
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz9HlPOjRns
    At the 12 second mark in the vid.

10. argibaltzi

argibaltzi Member

Apr 17, 2013
    I don't think visual dice rolling has any place in computer video games, the computer can do that for you and just let you know what happened in some cool visual way e.g. attack animation or effect

In some games it is worth giving some extra information in a form of a battle log for real hardcore gamers who want to optimize their character and strategy but thats as far as i think it should go.

There is a fine line between a board game and a video game.

11. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    That's the strangest thing I've ever heard. I can understand it not being necessary, but phrasing it as though you think the whole concept is pure blasphemy? The entire game is supposed to be representative of a board game, why skimp on dice effects? It's fun.

12. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    I hate to repost my questions, but they seem to have gone under the radar in the conversation.

Any chance of auto-save in the dungeon, and any plans for more quests and/or characters? :)

Cheers,
    Paulo

13. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    What!?! I love dice rolling in video games, hero mages and the gamebook adventure series by tin man games are some of my favourite iOS games because of their dice rolling mechanics.

I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries. :p

14. argibaltzi

argibaltzi Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Hi pjft,
    We made an early decision not to have any auto-save while in the adventure for game strategic reasons, usually the device keeps the game in the same state when you leave it idle for a bit and we thought that was good enough.

As far as new content goes we are thinking about adding some new characters in the tavern that you can swap and some new side quest however nothing has been determined yet!

15. argibaltzi

argibaltzi Member

Apr 17, 2013
    :D
    Dice mechanics are cool and i love them, its just that showing dice on screen makes it a little unnessary, i understand some people like it but you can usually have a lot more fun by seeing some cool animation and effect!

16. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Cool, thanks for the reply.

Looking forward to it, then! Good luck with the sales - hope it's turning out well :)

17. g0omba

g0omba Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Random dungeon!!!! See how long you'll last!!

18. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Agree with this, and the game looks good, but need an answer to: why two different versions? If this was universal probably would have been bought already.

19. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    While I can understand the artistic vision behind not allowing in adventure savegames, in reality the iDevices are used as phones, organisers and for a lot of other things, so in effect this current savegame system turns Dark Quest into a JRPG in terms of save points where the save points are at the end of the level...

20. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    ROFL. You know I never knew what was said in that phrase "empty headed animal food trough wiper". So thank you for that, and the laugh.

And I agree - seeing dice rolling, even if it's not "real", has a visceral appeal to it that you can't match simply with a flashy number floating above the battle. The gamebook games, Hell Quest, Hero Mages, Rimelands - all wouldn't be nearly as fun without the dice.