iPad Dark-Quest / Dark-Quest HD (by Brain Seal Ltd)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Vovin, Apr 16, 2013.

1. beelzebubble

beelzebubble Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Loving this, especially after being disappointed by Mighty Dungeons.

Hate the fate thing, though. I feel like you get bad stuff 90% of the time and you often get them over and over again.

2. Smartbomb

Smartbomb Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Artist
    England
    Quite like what you did with the no mid level save as I tend to fight with my conscience when I fail at a game to just reload to before I derped. I can certainly sympathise that the levels aren't really short enough though for some users, not sure what the compromise might be...

The game definitely needs more content, anything to increase longevity would be most welcome. If only just offering the player loads of ways to improve highscores. And damn the delete button on each save slot really needs a confirm action alert/request window...

3. Jimjim1968

Jimjim1968 Member

Jan 19, 2013
    One question to the developers. Apologies if it has been already answered.

Can the individual party members operate interdependently? I was hoping to play this game with my wife, but my initial view seems to indicate that the others follow the controlled party member.

Is it possible to have an option to make them interdependent of each other?

Regards

4. argibaltzi

argibaltzi Member

Apr 17, 2013

I seen a few people who want to play slightly differently their party and we are considering adding an option with ending your turn manually instead of automatic. (BTW did you know you can always end your turn prematurely by taping the hourglass? :p )

One of the greatest things we came across early on when designing the game was the automatic end of turn. It made the game very fluid to play and let you focus on important stuff. All other mechanisms we tried were making the game tedious to play(too many select and move gestures) or party members being left behind and having to get the back in the front again and so on...

Thus the idea of a Party Leader was born and everyone would auto-follow him unless they were issued a direct command.

If anyone has any ideas/thoughts on this game mechanic i would be happy to discuss and implement something on an update.

5. Kotovsky

Kotovsky Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    I don't think so. There is no different party mixes, play styles and such. The game is linear, only difference is a final score you get after defeating the boss, and in my opinion that's not motivating in any way. Who cares about the score?

6. Kotovsky

Aug 22, 2012
    Automatic end of turn is ok when you have unlimited number of turns. I accidentally lost some turn during first play, and that was very unpleasing.

7. Jimjim1968

Jimjim1968 Member

Jan 19, 2013
    Thx for answering so quickly.

My main point was that I would like to play the game with a number of people playing (ie my wife) and play it like a board game, so each individual person takes a turn separately.

What I saw was all the characters following the leader automatically, which is fine for one player, but if two or three people are playing together on the same ipad, then I would like it so they all can move separately, using their own moves and attack points.

I understand for a faster game you might disable this, but for a family playing together I thought it would be more fun, if a little slower. Like a traditional board game.

Thanks anyway. It looks a great game with lovely visuals. I too was disappointed with the Mighty Dungeon game released the other week.

8. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    You can control them separately, just make sure that the Barbarian is the last character to take its turn, otherwise the whole turn is over.

That is actually a big part of the tactics, to move your characters manually when needed, in order to do the most you can on a single turn.

I agree that the automatic end turn thing at the moment helps keeping the game fluid. While the flexibility for manually confirming the end of turn would be welcome in some cases, I think the trade-off at the moment is quite solid.

Maybe next to the hourglass you could have an icon/button that you could switch, where the turn will either automatically end after the barbarian moves (as it is now), or the turn will only end if you manually choose to do so or when all character movements have been done already (in that case, it would end automatically as it is).

I think that would be a good compromise. It would also help in some tactical battles where you want some of your characters to stay in the same place and not follow you around.

I'll definitely ask for more content here - and perhaps more characters, like an elf ranger or something (not sure if there's one in the game at the moment).

That and perhaps a mode after you finish the game where the monsters are not always in the same place, but are randomized. That would be sweet.

Cheers!

9. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Totally off topic, but I had to share this. "Mysterious Dungeon" has just been updated, and it's one of my favorite fantasy TBS apps. Cruelly overlooked. The update added a pinch-zoom, which makes it playable on iPhone, because frankly, you'd need eyes better than mine to play it before.

Anyway, I hope it's a surprise for some of you.

https://itun.es/us/sLtWB.i

10. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Don't want to derail this any more, but I couldn't find a TA thread for that. If you could point it to me, I'd appreciate it. Is it party-based, is it a rogue-like, quests, story-driven? If there's no thread, create one and we can follow up there!

EDIT: Ok, I know why. It's called Mysterious CASTLE :)

11. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    #111 icepulse, Apr 18, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
    Oops. Right.

Anyway, it's really beautiful.

12. Max0809

Max0809 Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Can someone tell me the install size and how does it compare to Mighty Dungeons, is it a fun game ?

13. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Okay, I am baffled.

Devs, I really don't get it. I appreciate that you have a vision in mind when you create something, and that vision is important, however you are selling your product to a customer base, and that customer base is also important as we are the ones who pay for the product.

And lets be honest, you are selling HeroQuest. An electronic version of heroquest.

Think about those of us who are buying it. Are we buying it for all the fancy bells and whistles and whiz bang of being on the iPad?

No.

We are buying it for the same reason we bought Ready Player One, why we pay hundreds, thousands on vintage games, electronics and such... Because we want to recreate the experience of when we were children, young adults, adults.

You have posted again and again and again admonishing have dice rolling. Why?

For us, who gives a crap about the math. Who gives a crap about anything but enjoying a game that is rooted so deep in nostalgia.

We want dice rolls so we can recreate that feeling we had from years past.

Does it have to be perfect? No. Does it have to be exact? No. Should it be something? Why not?

It seems like this is your first app on the App Store, maybe you've developed elsewhere though, but being receptive, being open to changes, being willing to try new and different things will mean the difference between success and failure. We are a loyal bunch who are proud in our recommendations when it is something that we believe in and that is supported by receptive developers.

Keep a rock attitude and keep dismissing suggestions, ignore the game and leave it without content updates and you can kiss success goodbye.

I loved HeroQuest. I think Mighty Dungeons is a passable/middling game but the developer is committed to making it better, is taking suggestions, made the game immediately universal and has a very open attitude to everything.

I was going to pull the trigger, but Im not sure now. And heck, it's true that I'm worried that Games Workshop will swipe this game off the App Store before it gets even a single update.

14. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    126MB for the HD version

Dark Quest HD is better than Mighty Dungeons.

15. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    I didn't buy Ready Player One.

Maybe you can't actually speak for the whole market.

16. Kotovsky

Aug 22, 2012
    Second that.

17. geoelectric

geoelectric Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    I did. It was pretty awesome.

So did a lot of other 35-45ish geeks, which is what I suspect they're referring to. You might not have been intended to be part of the "we" in that sentence at all.

18. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    He claimed to be speaking for everyone who pays for this product. He never said he was only speaking for younger people than me.

19. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

#119 andsoitgoes, Apr 19, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
    Thank you. I wasn't lumping everyone into my comment, I was commenting on a large portion of the population that is brimming with nostalgia fever. We who are spending $400 on a rare heroquest expansion that cost next to nothing when it came out and has heavily diminishing returns with relation to the game as a whole ;)

What I was getting at is that a large part of the people buying this game are buying it because of it being VERY VERY similar to HeroQuest.

The fact that the box art is almost a direct crazy copy says everything there is to say about the "intent".

It was designed to pull on our nostalgia heart strings. Dice rolls are a large part of that for many of us.

I apologize for everyone taking my analogy so literal they thought I meant everyone. Ugh.

See my clarification.

Oy vey.

If you played HeroQuest, dice rolls are very much the heart of the game.

Look at the Talisman game, it highlights our love of dice rolling. It's a part of geekdom, it's a part of board gaming life. Maybe it's skeuomorphism, who knows. Or maybe it's just nice to see the whole rolling happening.

Can you imagine loading up Yahtzee and not seeing dice roll?

20. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    +1 to this ^^