Universal Darkness Rush: Saving Princess

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by goiMot, Jan 11, 2012.

1. KiddToKmart

KiddToKmart Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Game Impressions

I'm both impressed yet disappointed by Darkness Rush.

This is undoubtedly the most beautiful endless runner available on the AppStore at the moment... from textures to animations to the effects inside, it's an overall feast for the eyes.

Controls are responsive and do the job well... what irks me though is the skewed in-game store items vs the amount of coins each average run gives you. On my highest run of 2250m so far (for which I coincidentally purchased a 2x coin powerup for 200 gold), I only ended up making 650 coins. Subtract 200 from that for what I spent on the powerup and I only 'made' 450 coins on such a long run.

Unlike Jetpack Joyride, it seems the devs want you to grind your mind to boredom or force you to pay to unlock items... not cool. Given the amount of polish this game oozes, the fact that the game suffers from several grammatical errors also surprises me. After spending a dedicated hour with the game already, I'm already getting bored of it. I don't feel rewarded after managing a long 2k+ run and the amount of grinding required for a single unlock is all the more demotivating.

3 out of 5 for me right now unless the above areas are improved. Devs- would be happy to pitch in my suggestions and areas where I feel the game could be improved. This little gem has the potential to grow into a much better game IMO, but just isnt there yet.

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Funny, my views are almost exactly the opposite. I truly dislike JJ, to the point that I don't understand why other people like it. It's true that it's easier to unlock items in JJ, but the gameplay favors luck over skill, and you can advance in the game without really getting any better at it.

With this game, I feel motivated to keep playing because I feel like I'm developing the skills to make it further. It would be nice if it rewarded you with more gold, but that's just icing on the cake.

3. Madman100

Madman100 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2011
    +++1

4. lumothesinner

lumothesinner Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2011
    UK
    +++2

5. ccha822

ccha822 New Member

Jan 11, 2012
    +++3

6. killsheep

killsheep Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2011
    #66 killsheep, Jan 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
    Hello KiddToKmart,

First of all, i like JJ as well. BUT i can't run over 3Km at all (I have played this game more than 100+ hours).
    We are working on:
    (1) Re-balance levels(more challenge after 2000M, and more random landform at first 2000M)
    (2) Reward more golds at a very different way(you can think it as hidden room at 'Super Mario')
    (3) MultiMatch are improved.

Please believe me that giving you more golds straightly don't make any more funs about this game.

Finally, thanks for your advice. ;)

7. killsheep

Jul 2, 2011
    You said, "the fact that the game suffers from several grammatical errors also surprises me".

Can you point out something about that?
    We will fix it as soon as possible, sorry about that.
    And English is not our mother tongue. :(

8. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    If there were errors in the code, would you ask a random forum member to help you with those too? No? Because code matters? Language matters too. Writing, editing, proofreading... These are all skills, in no way trivial by comparison to coding or art. If you want a professional result hire a professional.

9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I know what you're saying but i've helped out a few companies/games with slight typos/mistakes here and there, no big deal. Would rather contact them direct and tell them the issue then getting them to fork out x amount to get someone to go through the whole thing, they might be on a small budget. If i can help i will

10. lumothesinner

lumothesinner Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2011
    UK
    Re-read this and realised something wrong - if you noted your coin count before and after you would have realised you made 1100 coins
    you got 650 - that gets doubled by the coin bonus, so you made 1300 after you paid 200 for the bonus. i think its quite reasonable when you include the double coin bonus. I end up with about 1300 a round.

11. KiddToKmart

KiddToKmart Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    KS> thanks for the responses. The game indeed needs to get interesting after the initial lava level.

A few corrections (have not typed out the 'before' version, just what it should be changed to in my opinion):

1. Loading Screen - Coins gained allow you to purchase better equipment from the Store for your character.

2. Tutorial (Will Brook) - Hurry up, Jo... Freya is ahead of us! We need to watch out for the Ogre Cavern this time.

3. Tutorial (Joseph) - Will... I don't think Freya will leave unless you keep your big mouth shut.

4. Tutorial (Will Brook) - Haha... OH! Watch out for the pits ahead! Gotta run...

5. Tutorial - First, we jump. Press the JUMP button to clear the barrier and collect items along the way.

6. Tutorial - Second, we learn to double-jump. Press the JUMP button a second time while in mid-air to boost yourself even higher.

7. Tutorial - Nice! Wait a minute... there's a cliff ahead! Let's move on and i'll teach you how to cross it.

8. Tutorial - Next, we learn to soar through the air. As long as you have enough Mana (on the top-left), tap and hold JUMP after a double-jump...

9. Tutorial - ...and you will command your body to rise at the expense of your collected Mana. To drop back to solid ground, simply release the JUMP button.

10. Tutorial - Will, the feeling of flying was great, eh? Though it may seem dangerous, there are great rewards in the skies above should you choose to explore them.

11. Tutorial - "Would rather not get this... still a bit unaccustomed to this feeling of the ground not under my feet..." - shouldn't it be Joseph saying this? You have put Will's avatar on this instead.

12. Tutorial - Well, i'm relieved you feel this way!

13. Tutorial - Next, we learn to Attack! You can sprint by clicking the ACTION button when you have enough Mana (top-left). By breaking Mana Runes, you can increase your Mana.

14. Tutorial - Finally, you need to learn how to Transform! Tap on the TRANSFORM button on the bottom-right when you've collected three crystals. You will be faster and more powerful during this stage.

12. killsheep

Jul 2, 2011
    In fact, we already hired a translator.
    And we also want to be the most professional company as well. :(
    We will check all of our text again.

13. killsheep

Jul 2, 2011
    Thank you very much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)
    We will fix these errors at next update and re-check all of our text again.

14. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Framerate is iffy even on my iPad 2. A runner MUST be butter smooth, even if that means sacrificing graphics.

Game is cool otherwise.

15. Madman100

Jul 6, 2011
    Wow, this sounds great, especially the idea for the 'hidden room' for extra coins.

And also, don't worry about Gabrien. I think he's always screwing with Devs on here. He even got a time-out for acting up. There's nothing wrong with asking for Kidtokmart to point out the mistakes he saw.

16. killsheep

Jul 2, 2011

I'm glad you like this design.:D

17. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    #77 metalcasket, Jan 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
    Allow me to butt in for a second, as it seems like I'm the only person who ever defends Gabrien around here. If you want to see him "screwing with Devs", please visit the Dungeon of the Damned thread to see Gabrien's finest hour of "screwing".

Truth be told, he isn't the friendliest dude around here all the time (there have been times where I've just wanted to scream out "SHUT UP D00D~!"), but cut the guy some slack...he doesn't deserve to be put down all the ****ing time for just speaking his mind. When he thinks something needs fixing, he doesn't shut up about it...but when credit is due, by ****ing God, Gabrien gives people credit.

EDIT: I just want to make it perfectly clear that I have not been paid to write this. The shit gets old...that's all.

18. Madman100

Jul 6, 2011
    I'm sorry, I didn't realize you guys were dating.

But seriously, relationships aside, I find some of his posts often ridiculous and even mildly insulting to some very soft spoken Devs. I was just giving him a heads up that it's just the usual from that guy. So relax, no need to get your trousers tangled.

All killsheep was asking for was Kidtokmart's feedback, after all.

19. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Stopped reading there. Not worth my time. kthxbai

20. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Actually, I defend Gabrien, too, about as often as I argue with him ;). And no, we're not dating.