iPad Dawn of Magic - (by Lakoo) - FREE launch sale

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Ceros_X

Ceros_X Member

Nov 7, 2011
    #61 Ceros_X, Nov 7, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
    Registered on this site to post a review of this game (well, my impressions thus far).

I've played the game and currently have all four party members. My main character is L41, the others are L40, 30, and 25. I have currently not done any IAP (it would make the game easier, but I don't think it is essential).

I thought the beginning was a bit difficult (especially the first boss battle) but it was one of those situations where you needed to heal before attempting and then return, then blow all of your one use items (Grenades, Daggers, etc) and healing items and then try it a few times via reloading.

After you have picked up your third and fourth party members, the game becomes a lot easier. As one of the other reviewers mentioned, mana is very scarce in the beginning and AP is always scarce. By the time you hit the 40s and get items that regenerate MP and HP every turn, as well as gems that augment MP/HP capacity and stats, the game becomes easier and so does MP management. You always have your health and mana refilled and this (combined with the village healer) should keep you going. AP is one of those things where you need to use it as you want but before a boss fight go refill it via regular attacks on normal enemies.

While the money is scare and the leveling slows down a bit toward the end, I don't find this as a negative thing so much as something to be strategically countered. One of my main gripes with the game is that you can only employ three of your four characters at one time and you can never rest your main character. Being a little OCD I would like to have all my characters on the same level, even if it means rotating the main character out, but this isn't possible.

I think I have determined to sit one of the characters out permanently (this way I don't have to worry about gearing them up, etc) in order to stop worrying about keeping all characters leveled up, as well as focus gold distribution.

If you're finding yourself short on money, make sure that you are grinding and also that you are looking for every chest in every dungeon. I have also found a few hidden items
    there's a demon sword bundle in the hall of the Knights if you click around the sword at the end of the hall
    and I was primarily searching the internet for guides to this game when I came across this site and the review (and then the forums).

The game isn't perfect -- it's extremely railroadish, there's a bit of grinding, the side quests (collect X number of enemy 5% items drops) are TOO much grinding for my tastes, and the autopathing while moving using the touch controls is annoying until you learn the tricks to it (and later in the game there isn't much need to avoid battle). Engrish.

That being said: JRPGs are SUPPOSED to be grind fests. This game is very grind light compared to others in the genre (overall). It's FREE. I looked up every game mentioned in this thread and the majority of those cost between $3 and $13. So there are some problems and the developer made the in game currency a little scarce.. it isn't crippled and it's a full product that looks OK. Perfectly acceptable for Free.99. *shrugs*

Thanks for all the other game name drops, I'll have to check them out as I can. Thanks Lakoo! Wish more companies followed your game pricing style.

2. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    I myself had given up this game after the second character was added just because there seemed to be an enormous spike in difficulty, which made me feel like they were forcing the IAPs.

I've been playing Alphadia and after reading a few more recent posts here, decided to give this another try. I gotta say that this game really wasn't given a fair shake by a lot of people. I don't know why the graphics were criticized, I think they look pretty nice and more bright and cheerful that the usual JRPG. A lot of people said the battle UI was too messy/cumbersome. I've gotten used to it and actually am starting to like it.

This isn't all to say that it's better than Alphadia -- it isn't. The story telling just isn't a good and the overall old-school JRPG feeling isn't there.

But I've gotten past the first boss (without IAP but admittedly using 2000 GP to revive my squad), and it's really enjoyable.

From what other say, I've gotten past the "hard" part. So hopefully, I'll like it even more.

Alphadia is no doubt a better game over all and there are other JRPGs on the iOS that are better. But I actually am having some fun with it and enjoy the battle sequences/gem system. Glad I gave it another try.

3. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Just a quick question for anyone that has continued this game, after the first boss and then going through the Information Library's secret passageways (which were surprisingly hard), I know that the Sage said something about having to have more than two emblem bloodlines. But somehow, I must have skipped some of the passage. How/where am I supposed to get the two more than two emblem bloodlines (presumably a third character)? Back in town and not sure where I need to go.

4. Kokukirin

Kokukirin New Member

Nov 6, 2011
    You can check the objective from menu. It tells you where to go to next.

I think after information library you just need to head east from the town until you reach a new town. Then you go to the mansion at the south end of the town.

p.s. Don't use the 2000G to revive. Save and load. You need every G you can get in the game. It is quite easy to finish the game without paying extra, but you need to be smart with how you spend.

5. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Yeah, I do need to save more. But at least I didn't pay for the 2000G. I had it. But I learned my lesson with saving. I thought after I beat the first boss that I had fought my way back out of there and was back in town. Apparently, I didn't save there. So I was back in the middle of the dungeon with the first boss and it took me forever, saving, fleeing, etc. to make it out of there again without having to do an IAP.

I'm going to be careful from here on out and basically save after every battle.

6. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Sorry, me again, I'm wondering all over and still can't figure out where to go next. When I hit the objective button, all there is is a little dialogue between Jack and Bella with Jack saying that there's some information in the Secret Passage in the Library and Bella saying "But more than two emblem bloodlines are needed in order to open the secret!"

No information on where to get what I assume is a third character (another "Bloodline"). Am in the Villiage or Origin, went to Pearls, ran through the ruins to see if there was something further east and couldn't get any further.

Any help would be appreciated. Everything thus far has been pretty straight forward so not sure if I just missed something in an earlier dialogue.

7. Kokukirin

Kokukirin New Member

Nov 6, 2011
    Read my last post. The next town is to the east of Village of Origin. You don't need to go to the ruins or Pearls again.

8. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #68 awp69, Nov 8, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
    Strange, the only thing east of the Village of Origin seemed to be the ruins. I'll check again.

EDIT: Nope not there. Only thing to the east of the Village or Origin is the ruin path and east of there is a port, which it says 'we don't need to go there' and won't let me go further.

Oh well, I'll go back to Alphadia and figure this out eventually.

9. MattUSF

MattUSF New Member

Nov 8, 2011
    I think its a great free game. You might want to break down and spend the 2.99 to get like 17000 worth of gold then you are able to power up to a decent level. i have no problems with dying (only been killed once and that was before i bought the 17000)

I am on level 51 with my main charcter and my party has grown to 4 people although one i have never used since you can only have 3 active at a time.

as for the guy who is stuck at the Village of Origin---

you need to get to the city of carmichael (it is east of the village--you go thru the energy tower path i believe)

ill double check and see if i can remember exactly where it is.

there is a point i am stuck at now so someone let me know if you know what to do when you need to enter the Great Sanctuary. it says i need to use the three emblems and i cant find them

10. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    If you do get a chance, that would be great (a screenshot showing where it is would be even better :) ). I've only found two ways into and out of the Villiage of Origin -- one on the west, the Forest Path, which leads to Pearls, and one on the east, the Ruins Path, which takes you to either the Ruins themselves or a port, which it will not allow you to enter. I've never even seen an Energy Tower Path.

I feel stupid if I'm the only one who can't seem to find this place.

11. Coldbless

Coldbless New Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Business Man
    Singapore
    Find the Mechanism

Hi, I need some helps! :confused: I already have the three emblems but now stuck at the Great Sanctuary where I need to find the mechanism to break the seal. Would be thankful if anyone reply! :eek:

12. Coldbless

Coldbless New Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Business Man
    Singapore
    Hi, I need some helps! I already have the three emblems but now stuck at the Great Sanctuary where I need to find the mechanism to break the seal. Would be thankful if anyone reply!

13. ToniWhite

ToniWhite Member

Nov 18, 2010
    RPG for free? I'm in:)

14. chinito77

chinito77 Member

Oct 5, 2010
    The order to activating the seal in the great sanctuary is this:

Top left, Bottom Right, Middle Right, Middle left, Bottom Left, then Top right.

Glad I saved before this scene!

15. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Finally got past the part I was stuck at. Turns out I needed to go into the Secret Passage in the Information Library and talk to the Sage again. Then it opened up the way to get to Carmichael, which I couldn't get to prior to this.

This game really is a surprisingly good turn-based RPG, especially for free. I wasn't sure about it at first, but am glad I stuck with it. The story is fairly decent and, while some might be turned off by the art style, I actually like it.

Thought for sure that this was going to end up being a grind-fest and/or have major IAPs required to play. But once you get past the first jump in difficulty, it seems to be about right with no IAPs required (so far at least). Also like that you can avoid at least some of the random encounters since you can see them (some you can't avoid because there's just no way to get past them).

Might have to throw the developer a bone on this one if it keeps going on this way.

16. Ceros_X

Ceros_X Member

Nov 7, 2011
    It should be in the rich chicks house on the second level (place where you picked up the Maid and the Gunslinger).

17. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    I was one of the few that seemed to enjoy this game, but haven't played it in a few weeks. And now, going back to it, it's rubbing me the wrong way.

I'm at the part where you're in the Information Library and are supposed to use the power of the three Emblem Bloodlines "the deepest part of the secret passage" can be broken. But then when I get to the boss that giant knight thing has like 9000 HP. And my characters are like levels 15-24 so I don't stand a chance.

I wanted to go back out of the library and reheal, go to other places to find chests, etc. BUT it won't even let you back out of the area. Only tells you to go back into the deepest part of the secret passage when you get to the original entry point.

Not that I would mind buying an IAP or two, but I really hate IAP consumables like currency and this seems like a cheesy way to force you to get IAPs rather than allowing you to grind, etc.

I probably would have bought an IAP to help support the dev, but now I'm a little put off by it. Yes, I guess if I had known that it would be like this I may have grinded more before I went in.

This is why I'd rather just pay for a game. IAPs are fine for expansions or "short cuts", but I try to stay away from games that rely on IAP in-game consumables. Guess I know better next time.

Am I the only one who got overwhelmed by this boss?

18. lorraine77

lorraine77 Member

Oct 10, 2011
    looks goo:)

19. NeoAquarius12

NeoAquarius12 New Member

Dec 22, 2013
    I beat the game yesterday. It was fun and passed time quickly. There were some tough spots, but I think people are putting too much emphasis on the amount of gold you get. You really don't have to purchase any gems at all. The ones they give you will suffice, and only Bella and Lydia are the only ones who really need magic. It's best to have healing magic on Bella in at least one slot. I recommend getting the gem that gives you Team Healer (or something similar to that name).

My only complaint is that the game is pretty short and some of the naming is a little vague. Every boss will heal for a bunch mid-game, but you shouldn't worry. Just save up AP for good moves, and you can kill just about anything.

20. allisterlee

allisterlee New Member

Jan 14, 2014
    #80 allisterlee, Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
    I just finished this game and it is indeed not a game that have much replay values despite the multiple ending possibilities. Combat is slightly slower and you need to grind a lot (which is okay if it's fun). The game plot is too simple and straightforward, it does not have drama and therefore it is difficult for players to feel attached to the characters. The dialogue between characters is lacking. No side quests.

But despite all that this game is not a bad game. It is free, it is not too difficult and not time consuming. The idea of using gems for magic which offers basic character customization is good. The art is nice for a free game too and actually each character in this game have quite an interesting background.

Game tips:
    1. Equip all 3 characters with Magic spells that hits all enemies. By level 45, most enemies will die before they can even touch your team.
    2. Save often.
    3. Save at least 3000G to halve the enemy's HP in a boss fight.
    4. There is no need to keep upgrading your equipment. The boss and monsters are not as challenging that you need to constantly change to stronger equipment. Save your gold to get the best equipment in the final stage of the game.
    5. Bella can dish out the highest damage at multiple foes with both her MP and AP attacks and she also has healing abilities. Use her well.
    6. By level 55, you're already Godlike and your party can steamroll all mobs that are blocking your way. You can overkill them all within 10 seconds ending each battle swiftly. Money will roll in fast and easy. And it made me smile.

This game can be a game that could have given Lakoo fame with a score of 4.5/5 if it has:
    1. 7 unique Side Quests
    2. 4 more choices of enemies
    3. 3 more new locations
    4. A fishing or a racing mini game
    5. A Game Map!
    6. Teleport Service
    7. More dialogues and interaction between characters (The generic NPC can keep their right to remain silent)
    8. Special events for each girl + 1 event for Jack to take 1 of the 3 girls out for a date
    9. Better endings and after the ending credits put a poster up with all the characters smiling at the player with a simple word like "Thank You". You don't need to have long elaborated ending scenes just a short ending plus a beautifully drawn poster would be satisfactory.
    10. Oh and finally, the main character can define a game and give it life. Jack is too normal and he lacks a charisma and uniqueness. His name is common and he looks like Justin Bieber. And that's bad.