Death Road to Canada by Rocketcat Games+Madgarden

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Kepa, Aug 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CHEESEYZOMBIE

CHEESEYZOMBIE Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2013
    Can you attack humans like in Dead Rising if any of them are crazy, mad, or if you just want to?

2. Madgarden

Madgarden Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Galactic Game Creation Overlord
    Kitchener, ON
    I wouldn't recommend it, you could end up in jail or worse.

3. CHEESEYZOMBIE

Aug 13, 2013
    #43 CHEESEYZOMBIE, Aug 15, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
    Wait, in the trailer, there were parts where characters got in front of the character (you were playing as) while he was shooting or using melee. Do you have to target them directly or do they have to be hostile to attack?
    EDIT: Ughhh, I'm such an idiot, I was asking if you can attack them IN THE GAME, sorry I was too into the question.

4. CHEESEYZOMBIE

Aug 13, 2013
    I really hope that you explore areas without your group like you can venture alone in a building while your group is chillin' at a safehouse waiting for you.

5. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Human attacks are handled through Choose-Your-Own-Adventure segments, like for dealing with bandits and unhinged people. We didn't do the Dead Rising method of "zombies are mostly a speed bump, the read danger are psychopath bosses". Not that it's a bad idea, we just wanted it to be all about the zombies.

You get 5 people total in your group. You pick 1-3 of them for venturing out and exploring each city/farmhouse/etc. The rest stay in the car.

6. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

This game just sounds better and better with every new tidbit of information

7. Timobrow

Timobrow Well-Known Member

May 26, 2013
    This game looks so good! I love zombie games that are more than simple twin stick shooters, so I'm really looking forward to this. Just one question (and I know it might not be answerable at this time): will this game support 4th gen iPod touches?

8. CHEESEYZOMBIE

Aug 13, 2013
    this is compatible with iPhone 4, right?

9. CHEESEYZOMBIE

Aug 13, 2013
    with all these things in this game, it makes it more than a ios game, it makes it one of the best indie games I'll ever play and one of the highest payed apps on the app store. P.S I'M CANADIAN AND I LOVE INDIE GAMES TOO SO THIS IS A MUST BUY.

10. Bronxsta

Hey, any chance of porting to PC, like on Steam Greenlight or Desura? I could see a game like this being pretty popular, since it's more than your usual kill-em-all zombie games

11. Timobrow

Timobrow Well-Known Member

May 26, 2013
    They do have intentions to port to PC. From what I understand, they plan on launching a kickstarter which will be used to either port the game to PC, or to progress development.

12. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Should be (and iPod Touch).

We're developing it on PC, with a concurrent iOS version. There will be a Kickstarter so we can make more content for all versions, where you can get a copy for PC/Mac/Linux (but not iOS because Apple doesn't like the preorder thing).

13. Bronxsta

Awesome, works for iPhone 4!

And great news about a Kickstarter. But then how does a game like Gods Will Be Watching allow you to pledge for the mobile and PC versions? (Granted, GWBW was doing an Indiegogo campaign, not Kickstarter, so maybe the rules are different?)

Anyway, Death Road just sounds better every time the devs drop some news on us

14. CHEESEYZOMBIE

Aug 13, 2013
    When it said every character will always have different appearance, do you mean they'll appear in different areas or the characters will always look (appear) different?
    Also, will there be a wide array of weapons (20-50) in the game?

15. D&Dgames

D&Dgames Active Member

Jul 5, 2013
    omg this looks so cool

16. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Heroes of Loot, Steampunks, Project Joan, and then Death Road to Canada... and each one a different genre.

Am I in pixel heaven? :)

17. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    I'm not sure how they're getting around the code limit. Probably by using enterprise distribution, but I don't think Apple particularly likes that. Won't be letting you pledge for the mobile version because of this, though the "put something in the game" rewards will apply to both the mobile and desktop versions.

They have different looks. Bodies/heads. Right now we have around 10, I want to do a lot more. The plan for weapons right now is to have a smaller selection of firearms (12 or so?) and then a bunch of melee weapons. No idea what the final number will be but probably over 20.

18. CHEESEYZOMBIE

Aug 13, 2013
    #58 CHEESEYZOMBIE, Aug 17, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
    If they all have different bodies/heads then why did one of the text box in the trailer say "Point out he looks like the pokemans guy" cuz if it said that then that means that character has a distinct appearance and that means that part is scripted so that character is not randomly generated (unless he was apart of something like a tutorial), right?

Also, since every character has a different personality, the "Cool It" won't always work and the person you are talking to might get mad and attack you intead of joining you, right?

19. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    There are rarer unique characters that have a distinct appearance and specific traits/associated events. Then there are the much more common randomized general characters.

The plan is that different personalities will mean both different events and different options. One person in your group might be useful to try to talk a situation down, another might try intimidation. Special traits would come into play, too. One of your survivors has medical training and new options come up in events with injury or disease, as an example.

20. CHEESEYZOMBIE

Aug 13, 2013
    Wow, This game is too great, iOS doesn't deserve this, PC deserves this game in the indie section of Steam