Universal Death Road to Canada (by Rocketcat LLC) [TouchArcade Game of the Year 2017]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Sexy Pirate

Sexy Pirate Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2014
    Call centre / Parent
    Newcastle England
    Damn yeah haven't bought an app in a couple weeks so didn't even realise that the prices are the same in both regions now. Well that sucks.
    Buying anyway just checking before I did.
    Been waiting ages for this one

2. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    I mean.... I don't even know what to say. Just scratching the surface here and can tell how amazing this game is. Every little detail has been covered off on. I feel like the content is endless.

So much fun playing a game where you know the level of love/care that went into it.

Back to playing, but just wanted to say "thank you Kepa"

3. johnkittz

johnkittz Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2017
    Instabuy, the game is extremely smooth with amazing controls, the graphics are absolutely stunning, don't hesitate to grab this up before the price increase.

4. ItouchBrett

ItouchBrett Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    It's like Oregon trail meets cataclysm DDA. This game is great. I'm assuming there is a lot of RNG here?

5. KeKhan

KeKhan Well-Known Member

May 28, 2012
    Quick question -
    Are the controls set up so you can only shoot / attack in 4 main directions, like wayward souls?

6. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Yeah, I was finally able to exit safely while on the car/driving screen! I guess that's better than never being able to save. But I'm always wanting the ability to save anywhere anytime in games. I have no idea if it's as easy to program as save states in emulators make it look, though.

I do wish I could revert to a manual save in case I die, allowing me to try different choices with the same group. Being more an RPG fan than a Rogue fan, I'm usually of that mindset. But man, so far, even this Rogue game has me pleasantly entertained. Great writing too!

7. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Anyone else have their character names go backwards? Hilarious.

Attached Files:

8. amusing Grace

amusing Grace Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Music, Muse, Magick
    Berlin, Germany
    Nope, never happened in the beta, iirc.
    What device and iOS are you on?
    What language setting on the device?

9. amusing Grace

amusing Grace Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Music, Muse, Magick
    Berlin, Germany
    Attacking is 4 dimensions, shooting has a crosshair that closes in on a target

10. bhoylhogro

bhoylhogro Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2014
    RNG shows up in two forms: stat/skill check events, and non-stat check events. As with the name, better stats get a higher chance of a good result for the decision--- like having good mechanical for fixing things usually yields a good result.

For non-stat events, they just happen along the way-- like dialogue lowering morale, getting a magazine that boosts stats, etc.

Swinging attacks/weapons are six directions. Stabbing, martial arts/karate, poking are eight directions. Shooting targets the zombie in range, but can be eight directions.

11. razorracer83

razorracer83 Well-Known Member

#71 razorracer83, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    It's like the classic PC game Oregon Trail, or more recently, the iOS/Android game Organ Trail: The Director's Cut. Only thing is, it has a lot more action than even Organ Trail. You go on a journey to your final destination, and, along the way, you make decisions or events will happen that will either benefit or hinder you; often times with the latter it's to the point of ruining your run. In that regard, it is similar to FTL, but honestly it's more comparable to Out There: Omega Edition than FTL, as you'll be trying to manage supplies more than you will weapons or equipment. As far as the resource gathering is concerned, that's where the action mostly takes place, as you will have to hack or shoot your way through through hordes of zombies while you check through containers for needed supplies or weapons. It's a really fun game, in that regard. I bought the game at full price on Steam, and it's definitely worth it at it's price, and a great value at the iOS version's asking price.

12. bhoylhogro

Nov 26, 2014
    You probably encountered a portal and drove through it.

It reverses the stats of the affected characters.

13. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    If you are not in the Random moody then you are not going to have much fun, I guess. Because the random and craziness is what it makes it fun and each run unique.

No point to strive for a "perfect" run.

14. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    I always loved Oregon Trail as a kid and this is just so amazing
    i am not blowing smoke when i say this is the best game on the app store
    and more updates and content to come icing on the cake
    this was a genuis idea flawlessly executed and so worth the wait
    i say make it game of the year now and be done with it :)

15. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    those people like iohnkittz that find the controls smooth and amazing, please share your settings. Maybe the Drag Zone and Dead Zone settings make a huge difference? how to make it less clunky and more responsive to the finger movement?

16. bhoylhogro

Nov 26, 2014
    I agree that striving for a perfect run takes away a lot of the fun.

But, I love my custom characters because I can tailor my experience depending on the mood. Also, it's gonna be steeper uphill to win Extreme mode and higher with starting random characters (but definitely not impossible).

Point is, the game is designed to give us so much control over how we want to play--- random or not. Nothing but playing as Kepa is progression-gated.

17. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    YES! That's it. Thanks. Almost forgot about it because I didn't notice those things.

18. popjam5

popjam5 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Will there be a point when everything you see you've already seen, and there's no point playing anymore? I hope they add endless mode like they did with wayward souls

Also what's better, this or wayward souls?

19. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia
    Is this looks good in 2015 ipad pro?any imps gor prople who play on ipad pro?

20. verlaine

verlaine Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2012
    #80 verlaine, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    I think DRTC would quickly become boring if we could adopt a 'perfect' winning strategy every time. For me, it's lots of fun to experiment with different character combinations and pairings (traits, buddies, etc...). I also enjoy choosing 'interesting' options (my choices aren't informed by any strategy) to see weird and wacky outcomes. DRTC is about the journey--not the destination :p My best record so far: Died within two days of nearly reaching Canada :p