Universal Death Road to Canada (by Rocketcat LLC) [TouchArcade Game of the Year 2017]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Mar 22, 2017.

1. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Forgive me for asking such a basic question but is this game sort of like the old classic mini gore? From the video it seems like it's a 8 bit version of that.

2. baconcow

baconcow Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2017
    The SteelSeries Nimbus is likely your best bet. Not sure where you live, but in the USA, you can get it for $45 at Amazon USA. It is also available at Apple's website, their retail stores, and Best Buy, among other stores. It is the highest rated (in most places) MFI controller, right now, and likely what I'll pick up once I get my iPP.

3. CraigG

CraigG Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Not really. Minigore was an attempt at arena shooting akin to Robotron (albeit, in my opinion, poorly realised for the most part). DRtC has some aspects of this, in that you can find yourself surrounded by hordes of enemies, blasting all and sundry. But it's really a lot more tactical – you have limited weaponry, for example. There are closed, time 'sieges', and those have an intensity that feels like old shooters, but often those are about avoiding getting eating and taking careful, considered shots to kill whatever's closest to you.

Otherwise, the game's about looting, risk vs reward in all the decisions you make (from sticking around longer in a zombie-infested town to multiple choice questions in the CYOA-like bits), and randomly being gouged by angry wildlife.

4. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Ah thanks for the response. Are there persistent stats and items in this game? Or is it more rogue like?

5. Luckithroe

Luckithroe Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2010
    How is it even possible you made this game even better??? Wow!! IOS #1 for me and I own it on multiple consoles.

6. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Current thoughts is that we'll likely try this for Punch Quest, see how it does, and then maybe add Apple TV support to Death Road. Nothing definite yet.

In talks with console porters, but that could be awhile. Android is being worked on by Noodlecake, no definite release date yet.

Yeah it's mostly about the group building over the course of many decisions, with the action segments being a test of how strong your group is.

There's perks you can upgrade, and perks and traits you can unlock. There are also other upgrades, like unlocking an extra trader that gives a once-per-game bonus. This is all done by getting Zombo Points, which are persistent.

Most other things get cleared out when you die, but the above are all persistent.

Another big update is coming pretty close to the one on Thursday, too. About a month and a half after.

7. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia
    Fyi man i bought steelseries nimbus just to play binding of isaac, but now i can also play wayward souls and DRtC and it is totally worth it

I agree that gaming on the big ipad (12.9) is not comfortable without an mfi controller, the touch control is great and responsive but i only use touch control for gaming on iphone only

8. rezn

rezn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 8, 2014
    Male
    Coder/Keyer in medical ICD 10
    Reno, NV
    So excited about the last update on Steam and the newest on Steam via the beta. As well my kids love this game. One of my 11 year old twins beat DRTC right in front of me on Steam like it wasn't no thang for him. And he I am working my arse off just to get close on either platform. You guys truly made another game that makes gamers dreams come true.

Really looks forward to COCCYX on iOS and then the amazing follow up(date)! ###

9. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia
    Wait another big update after COCCYX?

10. coolit

coolit Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    #870 coolit, Jun 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    Haha wow I haven't seen him yet but I read on the wiki that my suggested character made the game!! That's just incredible!!! Thanks!!!!

11. Harti

Harti Member

Jul 1, 2012
    #871 Harti, Jun 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    Umm Kepa, I got an odd niche request. Could you please add controller button icon assets to menu buttons in a future update? When I tried the game with my Steelseries Nimbus I was often very confused about the controls in menus, especially the ones when getting ready for a raid.
    (I know you wanna add lots of content so no time for features but this might just be little enough of a request :D)

I love this game despite its missing savegame cloud support but I don't like to play it with touch controls cause I keep rubbing my left thumb tighter and tighter on the screen because my brain makes me think my character will then move faster, lol. Makes my thumb sore even after short sessions. I'll never get used to the intended sluggishness of my characters hopping around.

And having gotten so confused about how to perform which action in menus using the controller cost me the game sometimes which was a buzzkill.
    On this note, if I remember correctly it also isn't very intuitive which item is currently highlighted when using the controller. Got lost on the main menu the first time, minor usability issue.

Thanks and keep up the good programming!

12. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Haha yeah it's crazy what the next generation can do for breaking modern day videogames

You got that right, it's being worked on now

Cool it!!! (flashing exclamation points)

I'll point Madgarden towards this for iOS feature requests. We have so much stuff to burn through for the next update that I think iOS specific features will have to wait for the update after next, though.

13. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    The update will start showing up on the App store a bit past midnight tonight, Pacific time. So it should get to everyone by the morning.

14. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Thanks for heads up!

15. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Uh..hell-a-yes!

16. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Not here yet #

17. Mince0

Mince0 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    No showing up yet, I thought the update was coming this Thursday 29th?

18. beelzebubble

beelzebubble Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    I've checked like ten times and nothing! WTH :p

19. Daerricx

Daerricx Member

Jul 26, 2014
    Still no update

20. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    It's coming, not sure when it's popping up.