Definitive list of reliable beta testers...

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Foursaken_Media, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Good point, considering all of the "dis is a ripof game shud be 99cent!" reviews.

2. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

From my recent tests (Guerilla Bob, Minigore, and NovaRift) heres some people who gave some really good feedback and/or were very active in the games beta testing phase (excluding myself :p)

GatorsxRule
    Zovers
    Ozzytheking
    Atlas3886
    loves2spoon
    Playn
    Cooper464
    'Jeep
    Derek420
    Devilishly Good
    Mr Crazy
    Sketchy
    Pugway

And sorry if I left anybody off, I am sure I missed a couple

3. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Exactly! So maybe we, as devs, can better understand what that type of customer enjoys (besides everything being free).

4. Kunning

Kunning Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2009
    You know, a good idea would be to start a "beta tester list" thread in this section of the forums. Each person could show what they've tested and are testing, explain their background, and website affiliations. It'd be a useful source for developers, and even newbies who haven't tested any or only a couple games could say "I've tested ________ / I haven't testing anything, but I'm always up for developers to contact me", and things like that. Any interest?

5. Zovers

Zovers Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Nevada

Aww Thank you XD

6. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    I started out there, and after a couple tests, I hated it. There are some good games, but the chances of getting in some tests were high while others you were bound not to get in. As well as most people DIDNT report anything

7. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Yeah, ibetatest.com has really gone downhill since it's launch. I guess as a developer you could always try . . .

8. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    yeah, but TA just is so good :D just look and some peoples history and post count and stuff

9. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Well, being a few days into our beta, I must say I am overwhelmed by the awesome participation rate we are getting. We did the random beta tester thing by posting here on TA and took the first 20 applicants (many said it was their first time beta testing). So far we've heard from just about everyone minus maybe 2-3 people. GOOD feedback too.

I was worried about the stories devs were posting about people NOT giving any feedback, which is why I started this thread in the first place, but so far my experience has been stellar with "just a bunch of random people."

10. Zovers

Zovers Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Nevada
    what beta did you launch?

11. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

N.Y.Zombies (NYZ).

12. goldglover411

goldglover411 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2009
    ipod touch game reviewer
    USA
    a lot of the minigore beta testers (like myself) provide great feedback to Timo about what they there are over 350 pages of ideas and feedback. Some of the ideas are implemented, while others are discussed. A current discussion is whether minigore needs more checkpoints. An idea that was implemented was duel wielding

13. Intruder_qcc

Intruder_qcc Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Senior Analyst-programmer
    St-Hubert (Quebec), Canada
    I think dressing a list of reliable tester can be useful for several of us, but also it will be good if they have some status saying that they are available for testing.

This way people could contact the one that mention they have free time for testing, once someone feel he has enough in is hand he can have his status change to not available.

Currently at the moment for myself I contacted people I know could provide some constructive feedback. So far it has been great! But I just selected a few limited number of person as I am still alpha testing.

But ill be interested in getting a few more different opinions/views in this early stage. Just not sure how I should proceed (our game haven't been formally announced yet, we are still using our code name iQBR1 for it :p and it contains programmers art, so kinda still rough on the edge).