Universal Deflecto - A Mobile Arcade Game for iPhone and iPad

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by zxy, Jul 31, 2015.

1. romanwilly

romanwilly Active Member

Jul 21, 2015
    i thought that, too, before playing the how-to...its in the "fine print" but it's there - "keep your finger moving"

also, as the levels go higher, the meteors get smaller, and require more precision to be hit. hard if you have big fingers like me!

2. zxy

zxy Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2015
    motion graphics for advertising at T3
    Austin, TX
    ah, yeah, i could make that more prominent somehow...maybe a how-to popup on the beginning of the first level

3. foamdo

foamdo Member

Dec 8, 2015
    f@#k that tornado! :mad:

4. zxy

zxy Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2015
    Austin, TX
    haha, yeah screw that screwy thing!

5. Joinein

Joinein Active Member

Aug 7, 2015
    haha, f@#k the tornado and the avalanche!

6. romanwilly

romanwilly Active Member

Jul 21, 2015
    proud to say i have beat them both...avalanche is easy enough to beat, getting to it is the hard part!

7. zxy

zxy Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2015
    Austin, TX
    difficulty

if you've owned the game for a while, make sure to update it...I recently lowered difficulty overall and simplified a lot in the upfront levels. I definitely overdid it originally.

Still fairly difficult, i think.

8. munchkin75

munchkin75 Active Member

Aug 7, 2015
    ok! i have reached the avalanche, or at least the 7th level...

i LOVE how the skiiers are set on fire and scream when they ski through the debris...hilarious

9. zxy

zxy Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2015
    Austin, TX
    glad you liked that! I went back and forth on how silly that seemed. but it made me laugh the most so i kept it in

10. Joinein

Joinein Active Member

Aug 7, 2015
    @munchkin75 there are lots of little surprises like that. lots of subtle humor

11. romanwilly

romanwilly Active Member

Jul 21, 2015
    expansion?

curious, are you planning to add any expansion packs or additional levels to Deflecto?

12. cerbo

cerbo Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2015
    I was the one who complained about the controls. I had looked over "insanely difficult" in the description, but I think it is smart to ramp that up more gently in order to increase average playtime. I'll give it another try now.

13. zxy

zxy Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2015
    Austin, TX
    difficulty ramp

thanks Cerbo! That was exactly my intention with the update. People I know that were playing it weren't getting past the first level originally.

I definitely want it to be very difficult. I feel like the game mechanics can be mastered over time, and playing the levels over until you have their rhythm memorized helps to lengthen playtimes and beat levels.

One of my earliest inspirations was super-hexagon, which is extremely hard and when you first start you don't last 5 seconds. I was engaged enough to keep trying until I could play for longer times. I was trying for something similar to this with Deflecto, but way slower and easier.

I guess it's a sliding scale. Difficulty is a tricky thing to get right in a game, I guess.

14. cerbo

cerbo Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2015
    It occurs to me that SH might have engaged me for more than 5 seconds if I played on iPhone instead of iPad. It's a different experience on a much larger device; I think that comes with slightly different expectations. For me it means I need a satisfying chunk of satisfaction at least once every few minutes. A fundamental difference is that an iPad generally needs to be held in two hands or propped on a flat surface, so if the game lasts less time than it takes to open the app, the experience will feel short by comparison... Perhaps you can account for this by tweaking for each class of device?

15. zxy

zxy Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2015
    Austin, TX
    great insight, Cerbo! I hadn't thought of device-vs-device difficulty. I did test thoroughly on iphones and ipads, and I do remember thinking the ipad mini experience was way better than the full ipad simply because it could be hand-held, and thumbs would reach across to the middle. I can't imagine playing on the ipad pro, unless you had another person on the other side.

being the game's designer, I know I'm biased and probably better at the game than most, but I never felt like the games were too short. there are at least 9 hits before the city is destroyed. I supposed it's just personal preference at that point.

I already have the device-sniffing code, just a matter of setting some numbers. I just may do what you're suggesting...thanks!

16. zxy

zxy Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2015
    Austin, TX
    expansion

@romanwilly

I do have a long list of plans for deflecto, including adding levels, but I'm putting them on hold until it gains some sort of traction. Development time is limited with a full-time job! I have some other ideas/prototypes floating around, too. Its hard to know when to put more into an app or move on.

let me know when you finish these 9 levels :)

17. romanwilly

romanwilly Active Member

Jul 21, 2015
    ha, i haven't finished all nine levels, YET...

but I would pay for an expansion

18. zxy

zxy Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2015
    Austin, TX
    glad to know. i'm really waiting on a few things: time off, sales numbers to reach a "certain" point, and I have to decide what all to add.

more levels or new play modes?

19. zxy

zxy Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2015
    Austin, TX
    @saharmali thanks! I appreciate the BIG thumbs up...I hope to hear more reactions, too

cheers,
    zxy

20. romanwilly

romanwilly Active Member

Jul 21, 2015
    more levels would be cool..more cities

but what about multiplayer...like back and forth between you and another person, trying to destroy each other's cities?