iPhone Democracy 3 (Positech Computing Ltd)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by volcanopele, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

#21 Bronxsta, Jun 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
    Well yeah $10 is a fair price and not overpriced. I totally agree with him. Why should the game be $5 or something like that because it's on IOS? IOS games should be more expensive, more than the usual of $1, $2, $3

2. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    The problem I have with the developers post is that he fails to recognize the really great strategy games that already exist. He acts like his "strategy game" is the only worthy one on the App Store. Still hasn.t stopped me from buying his game. :p

3. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    I always enjoy the surprise of seeing a premium game on iOS. The discussion of $10 being an expensive price point always makes me smile and reminds me I'm on iOS as no where else can you buy games so cheaply, really makes me think what some of these people would say if they wanted to buy an original Sega Saturn version of games like Panzer Dragoon Saga or Taromaru.:rolleyes:

4. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    I don't mind the price point. However, I've read comments on his blog that the resolution isn't fully optimized for retina displays. Once that happens, I'll plunk my shekels.

5. duncanedi

duncanedi Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    same here, I do like to enjoy my retina :)

6. Gabriel.Voyager

Gabriel.Voyager Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Turin - Italy
    #26 Gabriel.Voyager, Jun 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
    No expansion support, no mods support, no retina support, no interface adapted for touch input, no cloud save for backup.
    Devs can price their game as premium, but they have to full support the platform.
    D3 for iPad not support the platform to justify 10 dollars like FTL do for example.

7. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    1. Well, who said, that the expansions will not come? :confused:

2. Also, who said, there will be no retina update?

8. Pepelutin

Pepelutin Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Music teacher
    Belgium
    I was on the fence.. Thanks you i'll buy another game. A bargain... Haha!

9. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    He actually had another blog post which was far less emotionally charged and lucid: http://positech.co.uk/cliffsblog/2014/05/15/lets-talk-about-ipad-pricing-dagga-dagga-dag-dag-dad-dad-da/

I agree with him entirely here.

However, if he wants to charge PC prices on the iPad, he should deliver exactly the same capabilities on that version. I'll buy this game if I know it'll receive proper support; Retina is a 'must have' for this game. Also I'd like to know if DLC will be offered; this exists on the PC and is a really desirable feature. I do realise that there's little point in building DLC if the main title doesn't sell sufficiently but a little less hate on the iPad and a little more open mindedness would go a long way... I'd love to hear the dev declare that "If this game sells enough and there's sufficient demand, I'll port the DLC to IOS." Good enough for me!

Jamie

10. Mythbuster

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    Yep, I agree 100% ... ok, I have it purchased so ... my hopes for updates:

1. The expansions.

2. Retina support.

3. Maybe Cloud saving ... the best would be cloud saving with the PC Version.

Nevertheless, great game, well made conversion to iOS so I gave 5 stars ... maybe 4,5 would be more realitic but 4,5 is almost 5 ... ;)

11. Gabriel.Voyager

Sep 16, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Turin - Italy
    The dev himself said in his blog, fixed resolution and no expansion support.

12. Mythbuster

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    Fixed resolution means, that he has no need for 12 and more different PC screens. So this was a reason why this is cheaper than the Pac version. I read in his forum / blog that he can imagine to include 'retina support'.

And I also read that there is no support for Mods ... that is correct. But up to now he has not said that the expansions will not come.

13. ansin11

ansin11 New Member

Nov 20, 2013
    Germany
    Bought it yesterday seconds after it came out, it's a (i think) 100% port to iOS. Works fine. I love it!

14. Gabriel.Voyager

Sep 16, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Turin - Italy
    Happy to be wrong, but for me this game will receive no support, no update, only bug fixed, like the other game of this dev for iPad.

15. ngajoe

ngajoe Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    ...so how does it play?

16. nini

nini Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Psh, that dev's attitude is completely screwed, lost a sale there you jackass.

17. Mythbuster

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    Well, I think, he is complete right ... and ... hm ... you will only miss a great game ... so: Who is the jackass? :rolleyes:

18. PoloBaquerizoH

PoloBaquerizoH Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2013
    The point is if the game is really worth to play it, I believe yess

19. Wiarumas

Wiarumas Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2014
    Here are my thoughts on the game based on the PC version.

PC version is marked up at $24.99 in my opinion. Its frequently on sale around the 50% off, which I personally find to be the more appropriate price for the content somewhere in the $10-15 range (not including expansions - with expansions I'd say its worth somewhere in the $15-25 range). An iOS port at $9.99 seems about right - not a bargain or overpriced.

While it is an impressive simulation, its not very involved/interactive. Its a sandbox type of game. Mostly about moving sliders and toying with numbers. 90% of the game development was probably about researching and doing the algorithms to create a realistic and functional piece of simulation software. The actual gameplay is a bit lacking. You can run the country into the ground in less than a dozen clicks/taps.

Being a fan of simulations, this is a must buy for me on iPad (even though I own it on Steam). But at the same time, I'm not happy with it. Its a very macro level game based on pure mathematics engine which makes it prone to gameplay where some choices are just mathematically superior and therefore, the way you should play. Also, missing a human element - for example, you can pop into office and nothing is stopping you from passing ridiculous policies. You'll get assassinated most likely, but there is no political resistance in your choices. You pretty much shape the country however you want and just watch as the gears grind on the different demographics. So, you see its a simulation in that context - its about doing the "what if" scenarios with policices and seeing how they pan out on the macro level (unhappy voters, unbalanced budget, unemployment up, etc).

In conclusion, I'd recommend checking this out if you are interested in the premise or just to play around with how awful your political ideologies would pan out in reality. If this isn't your type of game, I doubt it will change your mind. I wouldn't say its a good game, but its a very ambitious game and the only one of its kind. That to me, makes it worth it because of its originality and concept.

And my final warning is that its no wonder why countries are in the crapper. The big lesson in this game is that you cannot fix countries. You can only pander to people's interests and watch things spiral down the drain in varying directions.

20. kennfusion

kennfusion Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 2, 2008
    Brooklyn, New York
    • Bought the game yesterday morning.
    • Started playing and the decisions I was making were not having the results I wanted.
    • Got frustrated and put the game down.
    • Started playing again 40 minutes later and the decisions I was making were not having the results I wanted.
    • Got frustrate and put the game down.
    • Rinse and repeat about 6 times throughout the day yesterday.
    At first I thought I wasted $10. By the end of the day I realized that it was a $10 well spent.