iPhone Democracy 3 (Positech Computing Ltd)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by volcanopele, Jun 8, 2014.

1. PoloBaquerizoH

PoloBaquerizoH Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2013
    Excelent review, totally agree with you, and also believe this game is unique on its kind, specially for simulators strategy fans

2. volcanopele

volcanopele Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 27, 2011
    Planetary Geologist
    AZ, US
    My argument about the price was simply as a comparison to the PC version, which has more extensibility (not just with official expansions, but with user-created mods). However, I may have mis-remembered how much I paid for the PC version. I'm pretty sure it was $15, but it might have been on sale at the time.

I totally agree with him about price points on iOS, particularly for the iPad. There is no reason why they couldn't be higher. In fact, the dirt cheap pricing structure is one reason I fear that the new Metal APIs will be under-utilized since it may make development times longer and more expensive.

3. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    I messed around with this for 15 minutes last night. I also read the WOT Rocks Paper Shotgun review of the PC version. I gathered that this game is more of a toy than a strategy game. My initial impressions so far align with this.

As for the iPad resolution, it looks quite nice. No reason to hold off because it isn't the glorious retina.

It's all about menus and cause and effect. So far it's been fun to mess around with the sliders and seeing what happens. I might argue that I can get a deeper game for the same price, but $10 really isn't a whole lot and it's more polished than most other iOS games.

4. seo25

seo25 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    #44 seo25, Jun 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
    I am studying right now with the hopes of being a politician in the future.... i must say this game has me curious :p

Is this worth getting??

5. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    How many countries are there only one? I like the idea behind this game. It needs more content? It looks good and I'm thinking about getting it. Buy you have to like this sort of thing.

6. dannythefool

dannythefool Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Germany
    It's not fair to other games to say that this looks nice if 90% of the interface is jaggy text.

That said, it's also not the kind of game that needs to look good. The UI is functional and gets the point across and that's probably the most important thing for this kind of game.

7. PoloBaquerizoH

Dec 30, 2013
    In that case or any related to wanting to rule a country, this game must be played

8. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    This game looks very interesting but I think it's priced to high. Especially regarding the developers comments about not providing future content. I'm not saying $10 is expensive but FTL is the same price and is a bigger gaming experience (i think since I haven't play democracy yet).

9. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    There are actually 6 different countries to play as: UK, France, Germany, US, Canada, and Australia.

10. PoloBaquerizoH

Dec 30, 2013
    The price is really worth and good , for a type of game and unique in his kind as this one, there can't be comparisons as FTL because both games are completly different simulators, totally

11. Foghorn Irrascible

Foghorn Irrascible Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    "I haven't played this but some other game I have played is deeper than this."

Awesome contribution.

Also it needs to be said, the whole "I think Game A is deeper/more entertaining/an hour longer than Game B therefore Game B should be x-amount cheaper" is one of those entirely subjective things that could go on all day.

Its the same game as the PC, and it's standard price is less than half the standard price on the PC. Given the alleged set-in-stone lack of expansion, I don't see the problem.

12. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    I'm sorry that's just my honest opinion. The reviews for the PC version are mixed and this is a second tier port. In 'capitalism 3' people vote with their wallets. My vote is no buy at $10 from a developer who isn't committed to the platform and it showed with Gratuitous Space Battles.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/democracy-3

13. worldcitizen1919

Jun 27, 2012
    Thanks for that. This is the only game I'm looking at seriously getting this week so far. I'm thinking about how important the DLC is and whether the game has enough playability without extra content?

How long does it take to play? Replayability?

14. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    I haven't played too long yet, as I just bought this last night, but so far the length of the games varied. I had one last about 20 min and one last over an hour. It all depends on your term limits (you can set to unlimited), your success in getting reelected, and your success in avoiding/managing disasters. (Which you can toggle on/off) There is an auto save feature, which helps with a longer game. And replayability seems high, since it is a pure sandbox game. I haven't played the PC version, so I can't compare the two.

15. worldcitizen1919

Jun 27, 2012
    Thanks for that.

16. worldcitizen1919

Jun 27, 2012
    #56 worldcitizen1919, Jun 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
    I bought it and its BRILLIANT! Absolutely loving it. Fantastic concept and works perfectly with touch controls. Excellent tutorial. Great graphics clear and colourful. Nice background music. Fonts crisp and clear. A hell of a lot of love put into this. Worth every cent.

I love the depth. You can do so much and it's just like you running your own country. It's very educational as well for scholars. It's an impeccable strategy simulation which puts you in the Prime Minister's chair to run your country and it's just awesome. You have to deal with all the same responsibilities, tragedies and scenarios that your prime minister does.

Definitely 5/5 and great work by the dev. There is a hell of a lot of love put into this and much appreciated and to be commended.

This reminds me of King of Dragon Pass a lot. Same idea but this is real life and reality whereas that game had a fantasy theme.

17. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    It's a shame that this game has been completely ignored by TA's "Out Now" post, which is baffling considering they did a couple of posts on Democracy 3 before it was released.

As for the gameplay, I completely agree, though it may have something to do with my political junkie status. But I always prefer a reality based theme to a fantasy based one. Which, in the modern gaming world, is a rarity.

18. worldcitizen1919

Jun 27, 2012
    I agree that this game is for those who like delving in reality 'what could be if' scenarios but it does deserve just as much attention as do those other genres. There has been a lot of very hard work gone into this. And it has a very high educational value as well.

It's extremely well polished. From the screenshots you can't really tell just how well it's polished.

19. 3mry5

3mry5 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2014
    I'm not sure how but this release took me completely by surprise! Wow
    I loved democracy on the PC, anyone know what (if any ) changes have been made