Universal Desert Golfing (by Blinkbat Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Man, I've been down and out for a few days and just now saw the front page article on TA. Huge shout-out to Jared for the article and Andy for the video. Desert Golfing, for life!

2. Jotch

Jotch Member

Apr 20, 2012
    Well I've been playing this for a couple of years now and I fear I may have at last reached a truly impossible hole.

In the unlikely event that anyone else has reached hole 19491, any ideas!!??

3. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Can you post a pic?

4. Jotch

Jotch Member

Apr 20, 2012
    Not letting me for some reason. Says successfully uploaded then refuses to post it.

5. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Pics won't load from the app but should be okay from a Mac (or PC). Slide the Shakes has put me right back in the mood for this (again).

6. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    You can also post pics if you log into the TA forums in Safari on your phone.

7. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    If you're on Twitter, the developer is somewhat active (@manbearcar) and will probably respond to a query. He's done so in a number of other cases, though the basic gist usually seems to be that every DG run ends eventually since every player is at the mercy of the RNG gods but (in your case) 19491 is an incredible run.

The guy who's #1 on Game Center for DG, whose name escapes me, is also on Twitter and will probably respond with advice or tips.

I may be wrong about this, but I think the sequence of holes is different for each player. Your hole 19491 may be different from someone else's 19491.

DG4Life

8. Jotch

Jotch Member

Apr 20, 2012
    Still no joy with pic. May try uploading to photobucket later as when using safari it requires a URL to post it. Don't think anyone will have any answers though as it's not one of those holes where it turns out you have to bounce the ball back off an object off the right of the screen, it's simply that you don't have enough power to get the ball up the slope to level ground, and as it rolls down it lands in water. I've solved every 'impossible' hole before this one, but after around three hundred attempts I think I might have to admit defeat.

Ah well I've had a good run!

9. Jotch

Jotch Member

Apr 20, 2012
    Thanks for your reply Guise. Not on twitter unfortunately. I suspect you're right about every run ending eventually. I found a comment online earlier where the developer had admitted a truly impossible hole was a possibility (if that makes sense!)

10. Jotch

Jotch Member

Apr 20, 2012
    Hopefully managed to post a pic of the 'impossible' hole:

[​IMG]

11. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Wow. You've probably already tried every method I might suggest. Doesn't look like the angles on the 4 slopes of the mountain can be used to stop the ball for a set-up shot. The only other thing I can think of is trying to balance the ball on the tip of the first obstruction. Might not be physically possible, though. Sorry about this...

12. Jotch

Jotch Member

Apr 20, 2012
    Yeah you're right, not enough power to reach the top slope which would possibly have allowed the ball to stop, and the angle of the slope below allows no chance of it stopping. I've endlessly tried to get the ball to sit on the point of the first obstacle as you suggested but pretty sure that's not going to happen either. Pretty much convinced this is impossible now.

Ah well, thanks for trying!

13. andysmash

andysmash Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Maybe a soft bounce off the ledge on the right side of the water could allow the ball to land slowly on the left side of the water?

14. neonbible

neonbible Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    In the latest update, an app video preview is added. What does that mean?

15. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Thanks for the front page article, Jared! As far as I know, it's still up for debate whether every player's randomly generated levels are the same or not. The poster who's on hole 29000-something (who commented and posted a picture in the article's Comments section) makes me think that, at a certain point, each player's levels are different. Justin Smith's Twitter account links to a bunch of players' questions about how to pass a certain hole, usually with a picture attached. I think some of these are well past 20000. Yet another existential conundrum raised by Desert Golfing...:)

16. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    It just means that a video's been added to the App Store page. You dan only add/change video and screenshots when you update the app.

17. neonbible

Jan 24, 2011
    I see, thanks! Thought there was some added advertising or something.

How can it be random generated if levels are the same for all players (up to certain point)?

18. Jotch

Jotch Member

Apr 20, 2012
    I'm bumping this topic as I've just realised I've had a further 500 shots on this hole and am now completely convinced it's impossible. Every other 'impossible' hole I've eventually conquered (often more by luck than skill), but this one is totally undefeatable.

I've certainly had my money's worth and then some. Just a shame that all good things must come to an end.

19. neonbible

Jan 24, 2011
    Man I really want to see you beat this one!!

With a full power shot, can it go past the hole?

Is it possible to angle the shot so the ball slides up the slope before the peak and somehow let friction hold the ball there? Hope that makes sense

20. somedumbgamer

somedumbgamer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    You've inspired me to pick this up again. I'm only on hole 1000 something. I think you should press on. You've probably tried a line drive bounce shot right into the hole?