Developer I don't mind IAP even in paid games but make them worth buying!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by iniblade, Sep 28, 2013.

1. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yeah great post. I've got so many quality games on my device it's amazing. I've loved mobile gaming since the early game n watches, old brick Gameboy through to pocket pc's

An ios device is the best gadget I've ever bought

2. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    The only thing that android triumphs over iOS, is the open source side of things. Emulation on that can be interesting. But once you jailbreak iOS... It's even better at emulating than android. It's easier to compile, and you get better emulator performance from iOS.

Speaking of jailbreaking... Expect one next week for iOS 7 ;)

3. iniblade

iniblade Active Member

Sep 22, 2013
    #23 iniblade, Oct 7, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
    you don't need a jailbreak, ios is as fun without it.

4. JustMeNow

JustMeNow Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2013
    Male
    Shareware? I really don't like that. I would rather freemium games where at least you don't HAVE to pay. If it's a fun game, with IAPs, if you don't want to, then don't buy an IAP. What I don't like about freemium is that some devs overdo it and make the game unplayable without IAPs.

5. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I'm not sure if you might have misunderstood the concept of Shareware?

Using Shareware, you don't have to buy anything, rather, the game is free for X amount of levels, after which you have the option to unlock the entire game for a set price.

That way, we can treat it as a free demo of the game to try before deciding on a purchase.

In freemium, the only way for the developer to make money is to charge for consumable IAP, pointless stuff like hats and outfits for characters, timers to interrupt your fun which you can speed up temporarily with IAP's and coins to grind for.
    Etc. etc.

In freemium games, more often than not, the game is designed around the concept of constantly luring money out of the customer, whereas the Shareware model allows the developer to concentrate on making a fun game, showcasing it as such, so the consumer will want to buy it.

It's a proven concept, pioneered on PC with games like Wolfenstein, Doom and other great franchises - it makes money for the developer if the games are good and it's a boon for the consumer because we will get much better games if this concept becomes more widespread and accepted.

Simple as that.

6. Cromwell

Cromwell Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Selfemployed PC Service technican
    Cologne, Germany
    I have nothing against IAP, but I do not like overpriced items, timers and any kind of consumables.
    I gladly pay for more content, but not for things which give you an advantage over other players, like these premium cards packs available in all these connect-3 games.
    IAP should never give you an advantage over others, because then any kind of leader board is worthless in my eyes.
    What goes for MMOs, I would prefer to pay a fixed price per month, maybe with a special offer for those who want to play only a couple of days per month. Or when they offer IAP, then it should be for convenience like more characters lots, more item store room, more slots in the auction house etc...

7. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Imy daughter and I got our iPads in the same weekend last June, hers an ipad2 and mine the mini, up until then I knew nothing of iOS, App Store or even android as my phone is a Nokia n8 with the Anna bell update. Up until then my only experience with mobile gaming was angry birds and fruit ninja, and all of my gaming was done on the xbox, wii or ds.
    Having spent upwards of 20 pounds per game, I was like a kid in a candy shop with all these title for 69p, then I discovered candy crush and before I knew it I'd be buying bombs or whatever. My logic was that it's a bargain at less than a quid a time, it didn't take long to realise that these pounds here and there added up to quite a bit of money.

I decided to research games I bought and learn more about iaps, and felt like a bit of a fool, I'd spent almost ten pounds on games such as candy crush, and had nothing to show for it. I've since deleted the match three types and the only iaps I have made since is to unlock full games, or remove ads in games that I know I will play a lot. I never buy consumables and tend to stay away from titles that push them on you as I know it's too easy to get suckered in.

Price of titles doesn't bother me, I don't mind paying more for a good game, 69p feels almost criminal sometimes and if a game is coming out that I want I will purchase in the first few days, even if I know I'll not play it for a while as I like to support the devs. Being able to restore purchases is important as a lot of my games are also on my kids device.

I much prefer the shareware model, Reaper did this perfectly IMO, I do still like to check which apps have gone free however but I don't hang around waiting for titles to drop to free or reduce in price, if I dload a game which has dropped to free and I really like it then I'll usually purchase another title from them as way if support.

8. Emotive

Emotive Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2013
    Great White North
    A good IAP is something that you want, not something you need.

9. JustMeNow

Apr 11, 2013
    Male
    I know what shareware is, I just don't like having to pay for more levels, that's all. I prefer freemium, and that's just my opinion.

10. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    No, I really don't think you do understand it.
    You don't pay for more levels at all.

You pay to buy the complete game.

That's a very important distinction.

Freemium, you just keep paying.

11. Or not paying and delete...

12. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

#32 Bronxsta, Oct 20, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
    Might as well chime in:

I never have or will buy consumable IAP. One, my device is a revolving door for games as it is. I'm not going to waste a few bucks on "progress"-gaining items for a game I might not have in a month. I'd rather save that money for games and devs that deserve it (Foursaken, Crescent Moon, quality premium games)

And two, I love the shareware/game unlock model. That's IAP done right. In terms of freemium, I have no problems grinding for a bit but I have zero patience for timers. If you're going to punish me for playing your game by making me not be able to play your game, then that game will soon be deleted. Games like Trial By Survival and Smash Bandits are steps in the right direction (IAP that removes timers and basically makes the game premium, update that removes timers).

I have no problem paying 3, 4, 5 dollars for a quality premium game. Devs who release those kinds of games respect us gamers and deserve our money and support. Now the reason I might not buy 0.99 or ask for impressions on such a low-priced game is that I usually have limited funds and every dollar counts.

13. JustMeNow

Apr 11, 2013
    Male
    I know, that's what I meant by more levels. You get certain part for free, then you have to pay. I'd just rather get the whole thing for free and have an option on whether or not to pay for IAPs. I don't pay for the IAPs, I just play normally. I find it less annoying to be prompted to buy something that's not COMPLETELY necessary for the game, then have to pay for the rest.

Shareware: Pay for the rest of the game.

Freemium: IAPs that can greatly help the game, but you aren't forced to buy them.

I do admit, some IAPs can be game-crippling, but the game is still playable. IAPs aren't necessary, but the game can be hard to play without them.

Some people just prefer other game models than you.

I would even rather buy a paid app, because at least you don't have to pay for the rest of the game in the middle of gameplay. You pay from the start.

But anyway, back on topic. I just prefer freemium over shareware.