Devil May Cry 4 Refrain (CAPCOM), coming end of January?

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by gospel9, Jan 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gospel9

gospel9 Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Ah, guys I don't think it's a port. They said it was a collection of moments... kind of like the extremely waterdowned RE4.

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Not according to the STP article:

Or IGN:

It's possible that they're both wrong, but from what we know at the moment, this shouldn't be a "greatest hits" game (thank goodness).

3. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    #23 Omega-F, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
    Looks godawful. Should be as good as RE4 and Dead Rising.

4. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Did you actually watch the videos? In action it looks nothing like Dead Rising or RE mobile.

5. Omega-F

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    I did bro, and I think it looks like yet another poor effort from Capcom for all iOS owners.

6. GasparZizou

GasparZizou Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2010
    MKT student, intern in an advertising agency.
    Guadalajara
    i did watch the videos, to be fair, it doesnt look impressive, the animations are kinda bad, average for a capcom game tho, but in comparison with dead space the modeling, textures and animations are pretty below.... i mean, its better, for Capcom standards... comparing it to RE4, Dead rising or even Mercenaries but way below for my standards :(... IMO.

7. GasparZizou

Dec 30, 2010
    Guadalajara
    really poor. EA was poor too with BC2 but with Dead Space is looking boss.

8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Perhaps it will be. But the video shows a game that is neither lumbering like RE4 or dull like Dead Rising. SF4 (whatever you personally think of it ;)) shows that Capcom can do an excellent iOS game. I'll wait to pass judgement until we learn more about it.

9. gospel9

gospel9 Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Ah thanks for pointing that out squarezero. But the IGN video said something along the lines of "collection of moments" that's where I got the impression from. RE4 for iOS followed the RE4 storyline too, doesn't mean it's the whole thing, right? I hope I am wrong, of course.

10. GasparZizou

Dec 30, 2010
    Guadalajara
    i really hope you're right, Capcom is a great company and i'd like to play a decent game from them on my ipod, but you're right, it looks a lot better than previous games...

11. Omega-F

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    Not sure about "excellent", but Capcom clearly doesn't take this platform seriously. I don't blame them though.

From that DMC gameplay vid, the game looks boring, empty, horrible low poly characters, stiff animations, sluggish framerate and ugly HUD.

12. GasparZizou

Dec 30, 2010
    Guadalajara
    yup, you described it pretty well.

13. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Why don't you blame them for not taking this platform seriously? There's tons of potential for a really great game to be made, even more so than any other portable platform. I agree that they haven't been taking the iOS platform seriously enough (made apparent with their shoddy Dead Rising game), but they have no real excuse, unless it's for any financial reasons. Developers like ChAIR, Firemint, EA, Gameloft, Crescent Moon etc have shown us that big quality games can be made.

14. Nullroar

Nullroar Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Software Rep, Rhyme Guru, Game Editor
    Munich
    cautiously optimistic. DMC was a fantastic game, with the sequel being terrible and the third and fourth being better. (Edit: "better" as in, "better than the sequel." Not the original.)

15. Akira01

Akira01 Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Omega thinks iPhone is just good for mobile games.
    That's all....

16. Fimb

Fimb Well-Known Member

May 12, 2010
    Looks (and probably plays) terrible.

Come on, Capcom. SF was amazing, why don't you put some effort to your other games as well? DR and RE4 were fugly, the RE multiplayer game looks terrible, and now this. Don't say I have to buy a 3DS to play the definitive handheld versions of these games. Because I won't.

17. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Finally! A portable DMC title.
    However, there are a few issues that I want to explore.
    Porting DMC 4 would be a huge challenge for Capcom, who will be forced to balance between performance, size and graphical losses. From the screenshots, the bosses look a bit too 'angular' and blocky. On still images, these features look bad, but I pray that fluid animation can help counter this.
    Now for the the biggest speculation I have: the controls. I'm not convinced that virtual joystick and buttons can provide the precision required for a DMC title. Also, the action buttons could be packed tighter together and made bigger.

Then again, I really wish Capcom could take a small step forward by porting DMC 3 to iOS first.

18. Arq24

Arq24 Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    looks rubbish!cant belive its capcom game.

19. DopyG

DopyG Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    #39 DopyG, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  20. DaTa

DaTa Active Member

Dec 9, 2010
    I wish it had better graphics....they should use gameloft's engine or somethin'.