Universal Devious Dungeon (By Ravenous Games Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by drdeniz79, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    ^The enemies get squishier the more i upgrade strength, but the breakable objects in the background still take 3 hits to break. I do hope too they add hp to the breakables, but make them immune to criticals or something.

2. Markku

Markku Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2011
    does this run fine on the ipad 2?

3. siveon

siveon Member

May 15, 2013
    Wait, so this does have that Random Heroes 10+ hit spam to kill enemies thing?! Oh man that sucks.

Glad I didn't buy it then.

4. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    Well it's mostly 3 to 6 hits but yes, it's Random Heroes with melee weapons. If only this had skills you could use. Devious Dungeon 2?

5. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Really weird choice of design too, like I mentioned earlier, all of the enemies showcase so many different attacks yet the main character only gets a stabbing action. There's an enemy with a leaping slash, or one that whirlwinds, this couldn't be added in as character abilities?

It's apparent the focus was grinding coins forever, I see a lot of people like it and that's great, I tried giving it another chance tonight, already bored.

6. kaibosh

kaibosh Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    The controls feel tight but as has been mentioned their games always feel a little thin. We really, really need more platform slashers like this. Why is this such a lost genre? Sheesh, Swordigo was how many years ago now?

7. FuurinRei

FuurinRei Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Just beat the game. fun stuff :)

8. Pipipitchu

Pipipitchu Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    How is the level design? Does it get boring or repetitive on the later stages?

9. Retro Nug

Retro Nug Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    The Netherworld
    Pretty fun game. It's basicaly Random Heroes with swords from what I've seen so far.

The reason for my post is because I just noticed the "buy a potion" achievement isn't registering even though I've purchased several already. Just a heads up!

10. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    I get that a lot of people didn't like Random Heroes. Some didn't like both. Some liked the second and not the first. I actually liked both. I understand the problems some people had with them though.
    Devious Dungeons shares many traits with these games in both controls and level design. Where it differs is largely in theme and adding some lite RPG elements. I would also say that the enemies do take far fewer hits. 3 to 6, as EP, mentioned is common. Depending on your weapon, those 3 hits can happen in under a second. If someone's main gripe with RH was the amount of hits the enemies take, I would suggest watching a video of the game to see if you think the system works in Devious Dungeons.

11. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    I have to agree! I was one of those who didn't like Random Heroes 1, proffered Random Heroes 2 for just the very same reason. I thought the amount of hots required to kill a single enemy starting out was a negative for those games (less for RH2). In this game I find the combat much more agreeable, almost at the sweet spot. There is less of a climb or at least the climb seems more balanced and less inclined of an uphill battle with upgrades. By this I mean the upgrades feel more beneficial earlier on and don't feel like they are intermediary and just to make you pay coin to stave you off until you pay more coin for the real upgrade.

Honestly, I am one of those who have been vocally critical of this Dev, but I can honestly say that this is actually their best game in my opinion; I prefer it over the League of Evil series. It may not be as hard, but I find the better balance and attempt at added depth favorable over their previous, dare I say, more simpler outings!

12. hakamhakam

hakamhakam Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2013
    Whoever decide to make your character direction the same while you're moving backward and attacking deserve a medal. Seriously, my first impression of this game was really bad until I realize I can dodge enemy attack by holding the attack button and moving backward at the same time and then the game just keep getting better and better. I believe that without this mechanic, this game would almost be unplayable since you can't block and jumping is not that simple. Anyway, if you don't find the game fun, I think it's because you didn't realize this mechanic exsist, go back and try it, the game will become so much more enjoyable.

13. brybry

brybry Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Why do I like this game more than random heroes? It's practically the same game but I love it that much more! Weird... #

14. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    This game is so much better. Enemies die in a decent pace, and the RPG elements are quite addicting.

15. Markku

Markku Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2011
    there a new game plus like rouge legacy?

16. Rein37

Rein37 Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    This is a game that could be really amazing, but is hampered by some questionable design choices.

First, the linear equipment upgrade system is truly annoying.

And buying new equipment hardly seems to make any difference.

Only one character class severely limits replay value.

Am I the only noticing the really out of whack quest progression here?

I get into the 30+ levels and my quests are to kill things that don't appear anymore. I've had the "kill 7 skeleton archers" and "kill 3 beholders" quests for 10 levels now and I still haven't found a single one of these to kill.

Also...I have an iPhone 5S and iPad3 and am having quite noticeable frame-rate issues.

Ravenous really needs to take some time out and put some more thought into their games. They're getting more and more stale and problematic as time goes by.

17. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I am on 5s and get a few frame rate drops for no apparent reason but not often enough to bother me much not affect the game.

I'm still having fun with the game just playing a try or two before or after work so it's nice to do and doesn't feel grindy.

18. brybry

brybry Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    You're right! Random heroes pace is slowed drastically by the fact that you can't progress without killing the enemy. Yeah you can skip over the enemy, but then you get no currency and can't buy better upgrades.

19. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I cant see the reason why you would want to skip killing enemies in an action/rpg game. I bet you like Flappy games a lot. :D

20. CecilMcW00t

CecilMcW00t Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    lol! Yes I have to kill every little critter I come across in these types of games.