Devs Wanted for Animal Crossing-like Game

Discussion in 'Developer Services and Trade' started by Tap Dat App, Sep 12, 2009.

1. iGilo

iGilo Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    #21 iGilo, Nov 3, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
    I could help on music as well. I could make a few great loops :)

Or a theme tune. Maybe I could do some of the songs?

----EDIT----
    I would also LOVE to do some sound effects, such as the characters that talk to you in the game. That sort of waffle that they say would be awesome to do :D I just need you to PM me, and I will try and send you some samples of my music. I will also send you some of my sound effects after my tonsillitis is gone :) You need to work on the name of the game as well, as U-Universe (although a work in progress) is not very catchy. Maybe "Touch Universe - The world in your palm" or something like that :D

2. TouchChatterbox

TouchChatterbox Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    I too am good with 2D art (not 2D arrrrrrrrrrrt though, which is why I'm not on the Wheeler's Treasure team. *ahem, sorry* :p) so any UI help required, by all means, ask. I'm also keen to help iGilo out with developing some nonsense language/the actual sound bytes.

Also; I'm an indie filmmaker and would be keen to work on the video content using crew contacts/talent here. I would also suggest stop motion as the style for that which could perhaps be combined with hand-drawn cartoons.

Happy to throw my hat into the ring for gameplay development and any other bits of design.

3. TouchChatterbox

May 21, 2009
    I too am good with 2D art (not 2D arrrrrrrrrrrt though, which is why I'm not on the Wheeler's Treasure team. *ahem, sorry* :p) so any UI help required, by all means, ask. I'm also keen to help iGilo out with developing some nonsense language/the actual sound bytes.

Also; I'm an indie filmmaker and would be keen to work on the video content using crew contacts/talent here. I would also suggest stop motion as the style for that which could perhaps be combined with hand-drawn cartoons.

I'm happy to work on any design elements such as gameplay, characters, events etc. My imagination never shuts up and I'm a big kid at heart (I'd rather spend a month at the Magic Kingdom than trekking the Himalayas!). The Animal Crossing series is one of my all-time favourite franchises too.

4. iGilo

iGilo Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    I would be fine working with you :) I would not require a cut from the profits, although maybe enough to buy the game when it is released. Tapdatapps, please follow up on these replies, as I can start work immediatly. :)

5. Tap Dat App

Tap Dat App Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Professional Actor
    In the App Store
    Hey guys! I like where this is all going. You can start anytime you want by sending me demos which if I like, we can discuss working even further =D But again I must warn you, payment is really a questionable topic right now and things are all subject to change, but I can promise you that you will receive credit for any work you put forth and that you will receive the app for free when it comes out...which might not be for awhile since we are still in beginning stages.

**UPDATE** I considered some advice someone left on this thread, and U-Universe's name MAY be changing. The lead opposing choice is currently "Touch Town". Please let me know what you guys think and which you personally prefer.

6. iGilo

iGilo Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    I quite like touch town to be honest! I will try and get some demos in for you, I would rather do sound effects and character voice though. Would the characters in the game be animals?

7. TouchChatterbox

May 21, 2009
    #27 TouchChatterbox, Nov 6, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
    ^ I have PM'd you with my contact particulars.
    ^^ Ooh okay, can you give any guidance about the type of visual style or anything else to help with design decisions? Same for the sound. Is there anything you want explored/definitely not done?

Touch Town rolls off the tongue nicely, prefer it to the other one. Will try to come up with some other ideas too. I think you should run a poll for the people in the community to vote for the final name.

8. Tap Dat App

Aug 28, 2009
    Professional Actor
    In the App Store
    Well I was hoping to get permission from some App Developers to put their characters in the game, so like one of your neighbors would be Doodler, or John Gore, or a Pygmy! But idk if that is going to be possible anymore since they usually don't respond (probably because they don't take me seriously or something >.<) And if I made the characters Animals or made them speak Animalese...I could get sued possibly. I am unsure as what to do about this part of the game, any suggestions?

Not really, all things are possible! And the game is going to be 3D modeled, a lot like Animal Crossing: City Folk and will hopefully have a nice charm to it. And great idea! I am gonna run a poll!

9. spidey146

spidey146 Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    maybe they can be aliens on a different planet, that way u cant get sued and it opens up to many possibilities

that way u-universe works, or maybe even space place or something

10. iGilo

iGilo Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    I would rather stay with the happy, jolly stuff. When you do space stuff it gets annoying, and this theme has been over-done.

Touch town is the best name, we don't really need a poll for it.

Coming back to the animal side, you really won't get sued for putting a hedgehog that YOU drew. And nobody can copyright a hedgehog!

Semi 3D would really work, like in minigore. Would the controlls be dual stick or drag?

11. Tap Dat App

Aug 28, 2009
    Professional Actor
    In the App Store
    Joystick controls for sure. Like in Eliminate, Minigore, etc. I am working on a layout blueprint right now. And Semi 3D/Minigore style is what I was thinking for the graphics too...I want it to be really well polished and DESPERATELY need programmers! ='( That's like the main part I am missing!!! And yes I am much more on the animal side of things...

12. iGilo

iGilo Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Hallelujah :) The answers I was looking for :)

I wish I would have stayed with my app developing, but I found all the cocoa stuff hard!

13. TouchChatterbox

May 21, 2009
    #33 TouchChatterbox, Nov 8, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
    ^iGilo, you have my contact details in your PM box. Please get in touch! :)

------------------------

You might also consider:

- Dinosaurs who exhibit human characteristics. No cavemen as that way it'd be too much like The Flintstones.

- A cartoony equivalent to True Blood in the sense of vampires & humans mixing in polite company. Leave out the drugs & sex - even skip Twilight-style high school romances unless it was done as a parody (and the characters didn't look like the original). Bring vampires back to a goofier style. During the day, the vampires stick to the inside of buildings - a country club, manors, a mall, whatever. At night, it's party time! :) Most characters are friendly and hunt animals instead of drinking human blood though sometimes they lose control. Part of living in this town involves vampires signing a charter not to kill humans. But the town council's forefathers, when writing up this legislation, forgot to put in anything about not BITING. :p Also, from time to time visiting vampires come to town - gypsies etc - and they're not necessarily going to follow the rules.

I think both could have some interesting dynamics, the second more so as we'd have a lot to work with juggling cartoon humour with comic violence & making players alternatively a bit scared or just amused.

Us guys developing the nonsense speak could have an Old European style (think Bela Lugosi) for the vampires, various generic accents for the townspeople (unless we set it in a Deep South USA style environment) etc...

14. saintsalive

saintsalive Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Playing pocket god! Oh, and other games.
    Pygmy Island
    I can help with nonsense-speak and high-pitched voices! And I agree, touch-town is the best name. However if it's vampires how would that truly fit in as a good name? But I like the vampire idea.

15. spidey146

spidey146 Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    +1 vampires is odd but kinda cool, and i also can make non shut-up voices :p

16. Tap Dat App

Aug 28, 2009
    Professional Actor
    In the App Store
    Dinosaurs - Okay I Like That, Vampires - o_0 ... I shall not give in to the Twilight fanatics...NEVER I TELL U!! haha well idk...and Deep South USA? Ew I hate rural places full of close-mindedness >.<

17. TouchChatterbox

May 21, 2009
    Fangfield? Biteberg? Suckerside? :p

And nah, I'm not suggesting we make it a clone of Twilight but you could have a few references to that franchise but parody it. I'm saying we develop our own version of vampire mythology and do it in a cartoony way so we have both humour and comic violence.

Deep South, we can have the Southern ladies and gentlemen, the rednecks, voodoo practictioners and more. Heck, this could be set amongst the time of the Civil War so it could be a comic period piece game :p -- "Southern Horrorspitality"* anyone? :p

* Working title. Though it could be a good slogan in trailers/other marketing.

18. Tap Dat App

Aug 28, 2009
    Professional Actor
    In the App Store
    Ehh Idk. This is good in aspects and we may be able to use some of its aspects in character personality development.

19. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    Not to rain on your parade, but this just isn't realistic. A game like animal crossing takes a 2 year development cycle with hundreds of trained and experienced programmers and artists working on it. It also requires quite a bit of capital.

All you guys have are some Microsoft Paint skills and big dreams.
    But hey, go for it.

20. iGilo

iGilo Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    ^ 7 people made Animal Crossing.

And we haven't made a deadline yet.

^^ I am not interested in the whole vampire thing, but I love 'BiteBerg'! I do like the sound of a dinosaur theme, and this would mean that there were no reason to be sued, as that is completely different to a jolly town :)
    I have began work on a few animal noises, but I am not fully happy with them :)

Touchchatterbox, I will eventually contact you :)