iPad Diggin' Dogs - (by Chillingo)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Feb 8, 2012.

1. MrTruffle

MrTruffle New Member

Feb 13, 2012
    thanks for all the great feedback on Diggin' Dogs. We're proud of the game and the hard work paid off.

One thing to note is Diggin' Dogs was born from this internal R&D test back in 2007 http://boxofsoap.com/digginprototype/

Which was then expanded to this game in 2010 http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/533703

Any similarity with "Where's My Water" is pure coincidence and also something we have only ourselves to blame for waiting 5 years to create the game :)

2. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Any chance you would update the game with retina support?

3. Snozberry

Snozberry Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    I think the importance of an iPad version is much more important then anything else,..a whole new market could buy diggin dogs if it was for iPad!

I refuse to play it in x 2 mode, or on the small screen of my iPhone so ... HD is the only way I'd buy

4. psiom

psiom Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Game Designer
    Sydney, Australia
    I just want to add to mrtruffle's post:

Yes we are absolutely planning an iPad release for Diggin' Dogs. We don't have an exact date but we think it'll be very soon.

We're planing to have a gamecenter update released shortly as well.

It's been really awesome to finally see some impressions... We're a very small dev team and we've been working on this project for quite a long time.

I know since it's the first few days of release, most would not have yet made it much further than the middle to later stages of the game, but we'd also love to hear at any point any thoughts on what kinds of locations the dogs may go digging in for future quests! We'd really love to keep extending this game with future levels and content. At the moment we're thinking alien crash-site, among other things, but we're genuinely open to fun ideas and suggestions :)

Thanks again for the positive feedback!

5. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    It might not be fun, but I believe it's essential: retina display graphics!

6. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I am all in for an iPad version and Game Center support!

7. Fil2

Fil2 Well-Known Member

May 29, 2011
    awesome news, thank you very much!

8. MrTruffle

MrTruffle New Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Also any suggestions on what the next world should be?

9. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Whatever it is, it should have retina-quality graphics! :p

10. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Heh...looks like the devs are ignoring the retina comments. :p

11. eugekava

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    #51 eugekava, Feb 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2012
    Yeah, annoys me when they do that!
    Even the front page review failed to mention that. I thought retina display graphics were a given these days and don't need to be mentioned separately anymore. Serves me right for rushing in to make a purchase.
    I would like the devs to come out and say whether the retina update is going to happen or not. It won't bother me too much if its not going to happen, but I would at least like to know.

12. Red1

Red1 Moderator

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    I didn't have a problem with the graphics. Was more interested in the current lack of game center and universal / iPad versions. But it's a good game, which I've enjoyed playing...

13. eugekava

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Well, retina graphics is no longer an added feature, its an expected feature. Lets face it, the 3G devices are on their way out. To release a game without retina support is silly. Just like there is an expectation that the game will support GC, there is also an expectation that it will support retina graphics.

14. Red1

Red1 Moderator

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    Sure, I agree with you. For me personally, if I had to choose between retina, GC and a universal version of this game, the last two would be more important. Although others may prioritize these differently.

15. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I'm with eugekava here, in that I don't really care if it's added or not at this point...but there's no reason the devs should be dodging the question.

16. Drexiel

Drexiel Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Commercial Diver
    Ponce, PR
    so am I the only one that doesn't care about retina graphics as long as the gameplay is good?...

gameplay>graphics all the way for me...

17. psiom

psiom Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Game Designer
    Sydney, Australia
    Hey guys, sorry for not responding sooner on the retina question. We take all this feedback seriously and constantly look at ways to improve the game.

We made a decision early on that we couldn't fit the amount of content we wanted to deliver into 20mb at retina resolution, and we wanted maximum accessibility for anyone wanting the game over 3G rather than wifi.

As it stands, we've got a nice bit of room to expand into for future content, and that's really where we've put our focus.

18. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    I guess you lose sales either way. I tried to sell this to a couple friends but they won't bite (pun intended) due to the blurry, graphics. They couldn't believe the game was brand new with that resolution, and assumed that poor resolution in this day and age meant the developers couldn't have paid much attention to good game play either. Now I know that's not fair; I'm just relating their thoughts on the matter.

So I guess what you gain in delivering to the 20mb crowd, you lose in the dedicated-to-resolution crowd. Hopefully it all evens out for you.

19. eugekava

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Graphics are important. On 4g devices game looks sub-par. A lot of the devs who have games over 20mb do really well if the game is good.

20. DodgerBlue016

DodgerBlue016 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2011
    I create awesome paper airplanes that I will sell
    Here
    Just a tip, but you could have an in-game download (requiring wifi or whatever) to download retina graphics. That way it wouldn't take up the space for others. This has been done a few times before, but I think it'd work in your game