iPad Diggin' Dogs - (by Chillingo)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Feb 8, 2012.

1. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    You may be right in that the demographic that won't download it if it's over cellular limits is probably about the same size as the demographic that won't buy it if it's not retina. Still, I always wonder who are these people who don't have wi-fi yet buy enough games to be an important demographic. It's just never seemed like a sound business choice to downgrade the quality of your game to avoid losing a sale to someone who is so flighty they would have grabbed it on the bus on the way to work but won't bother to try ever again. Otherwise, I have to imagine the vast majority of all i-device owners have access to wi-fi on a regular basis.

2. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    Well, glad I looked in here before clicking the buy button. As of now I'm just going to drop the idea. I have soooo many games on hand now I don't really need a blur one on my phone. The lack of GC and iPad version throws me off too.

3. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Now that download limit has been increased from 20mb to 50mb devs can now update the game with retina support.

What do you say, psiom? :)

4. psiom

psiom Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Game Designer
    Sydney, Australia
    Diggin' Dogs updated with Game Center, LITE released!

hey guys, wanted to give a heads up that Diggin' Dogs has now been updated with Game Center support.

We've also released a LITE version:
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/diggin-dogs-lite/id500103562?mt=8

So hopefully that helps anyone that may have been on the fence to jump in and take a look! The Lite version contains 12 levels spread across all difficulties, so it's also a great way for more skilled gamers to check out the challenges in the later parts of Diggin' Dogs.

Give it a spin :)

And again, we would really love to hear from the TA community about any gameplay features or level-content you'd like to see.

@eugekava
    At present we're still looking at ways the game can be expanded rather than revisiting artwork. The main reason for this is that in most of the reviews for this game, the overwhelming majority of wishlists put extra levels and extra content right at the top. We agree that for now, this would be a better way to add to the game.

5. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Well it certainly convinced me that the graphics look like crap on a retina display! For suggestions, how about you update the graphics for retina displays? Until that happens, this is an insta-delete for me! I've had it with blurry graphics.

6. psiom

psiom Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Game Designer
    Sydney, Australia
    We're not ruling out a retina update by any means, but your take on the issue is not reflected in the larger picture of feedback we've received (namely, in dozens of media reviews), and so we've set our focus according to that.

Appreciate the input though.

7. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Hey, if the media is actually buying your games and not just sucking up your promo codes, then go for it. Personally, I'd listen to potential customers.

8. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Feedback from "potential customers" is close to worthless in most fields, and even more so in this environment. The TA regulars alone who have asked/requested/demanded features be added to games, but then not actually bought the game in question and have instead been seen grabbing it through promo codes or the Price Drop forum are a good indication that developers are better off taking their primary feedback from the people whose opinions actually matter.

Insulting, made-up nonsense like this is another reason why a number of well-respected developers have decided that they're simply better off not hanging around here. To be clear, the above situation never happened; you invented it to try to browbeat the developer into giving you what you want.

The graphics in the game aren't anywhere close to being as bad or "blurry" as the ludicrous exaggeration in this thread would try to have you believe, and nobody (with a brain) ever, ever expressed the insane leap of logic that "poor resolution in this day and age meant the developers couldn't have paid much attention to good game play either". That's such a transparent and ridiculous attempt to back up your own argument that it's just insulting, and it isn't at all surprising that the developer isn't entertaining your attitude.

9. psiom

psiom Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Game Designer
    Sydney, Australia
    We try to do both. We balance our time against the things that seem to be most desired and requested. We've collected a huge amount feedback (media and customer alike) as well, and the balance is the same.

For this title retina's not a trivial undertaking, and would take resources away from those other aspects.

It's clear you're very passionate about this. As I said, we're not dismissing any feedback either :)

10. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Much as you'd like it not to be true, you are mistaken in your belief. Several friends asked me for recommendations for a game like Where's My Water? When Digging' Dogs came out I recommended it immediately. All but one passed due to the quality of the graphics. Graphics quality might not matter to you, but it does matter to some who have invested in retina displays for that very reason.

11. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Thanks for the better explanation, and for not completely dismissing the possibility of improvements in the graphics quality. As Apple continues to improve their displays, I believe high-res graphics gives an edge. It's certainly something that I look for when considering a title.

12. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I am still hoping for an iPad version of this game. That would fit nicely with a retina update.

13. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    What I might "like" is entirely irrelevant, and what you just mentioned wasn't the issue in question; nobody disputes that people may choose to purchase or not purchase a game based on their opinion of the graphics, because we know people do this all the time.

What I took issue with was the wholly fabricated situation you tacked on where all these people chose not to buy the game after independently expressing the same opinion that "poor resolution in this day and age meant the developers couldn't have paid much attention to good game play either", which simply didn't happen, and especially in this age of retro revival, doesn't even make sense. It was a hamfisted passive-aggressive invention intended to convince the developer of a point (that the game is ugly and graphics updates are needed or people won't buy it) that their own feedback shows simply isn't true, just because you wanted to be "right" and have them give you what you want. It was obvious, insulting, and is utterly undesirable in an ostensibly developer-friendly environment.

The fact that the game's graphics aren't designed for the Retina display isn't in question, but the hyperbolic claims made in this thread (that the game "looks like crap") are demonstrably untrue, and apparently not an opinion shared by most. Public feedback indicates that the quality of the artwork is clearly not a concern for the vast majority of players and formal reviewers; as such, the developer has every right to pursue their path of additional content over reworked graphics without having to endure snide peanut-gallery commentary insinuating that they're clueless and don't know what they should be doing ("Personally, I'd listen to potential customers.").

14. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Arguing about why people do or do not buy a game is a bit of a rabbit hole; it's also bordering on being off topic. Appletini, dclose, you have both made your point. Let's move on.

15. DelBoy2181

DelBoy2181 Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2011
    London, England
    Does anybody know what happened to this game? Has it been pulled?

16. DonnyDJ76

DonnyDJ76 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    Agreed. I looked at my purchase history, downloaded it on the iPhone 6+ and clearly, this gem is optimized for the iPhone 4. It no longer seems to be available unless it's in your purchase history.

17. DelBoy2181

DelBoy2181 Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2011
    London, England
    That's a shame I really enjoyed and it was one of Chillingo's better games.

18. DonnyDJ76

DonnyDJ76 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    There are some great Chillingo physics games from the past that are still available such as Cat on a Diet, Eager Beaver, and Stretched.

19. SMG Studio

SMG Studio Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Unfortunately it did, but we're hoping to resurrect it one day. Either a direct rebuild or a reworking of the mechanic. It's not on our immediate slate right now so I can't say when.