iPad Disc Drivin' - Turn-based online multiplayer racing!

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Pixelocity, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    Crazy idea that should be WAY down anyone’s priority list... but while I’m thinking of it:

Custom disc emblems would be neat. They could be 1-bit like in Depict, with an editor, or imported from your Photo library (and then auto-scaled smaller, maybe forced to grayscale by taking the red channel alone).

Your grayscale emblem would then be shown in white (or gold like like the flames) in the middle of the color-coded disc. The game’s look would be preserved.

Or, just allow any old multicolored square image (maybe with a white frame like the flames’ border). Not covering the whole disc, just centered on top.

2. zxelman

zxelman Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2009
    USA
    If anyone wants to play me, my username is Xelorx, same as my Gamecenter Username.

3. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    add me epox

4. Chumbake

Chumbake Well-Known Member

I'll play. My name = chumbake

5. bgribin

bgribin Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Something that would help -- when you zoom out, could the discs be highlighted or emphasized in some way? It can be difficult to find discs if you don't know exactly where to look.

Fantastic game though.

Let's get a game going! username - bgribin.

6. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Yes, but the camera icon is still there, and I've had a few instances where that icon (small as it is) covered up something I was trying to see!

I also agree with the comment about highlighting the players when zoomed out.

7. Pixelocity

Pixelocity Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for the continued playing and feedback!

BATTLE BORN, we'll look into the chat issue. Thanks for the report.

We'll also keep thinking about more improvements to zoom-out view, custom discs, and new powers!

Happy racing!

8. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Thought I'd share this one here :D:D

9. dosch033

dosch033 Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    That is AWESOME :O Two times my disc flew back after using the Boost power up xD Hilarious !

10. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Probably would be more interested in this if there was an off-line campaign. Not around wi-fi enough for my iPod Touch for multi-player only games. Looks like fun though!

11. B34$T

B34$T Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Its even more epic when the person in last place hits a bomb and lands in first place.
    Just play the pass and play by yourself. Its what i do for practice.

12. Flunkie

Flunkie Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Add me! Flunkie is the name.

13. Arkais

Arkais Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2010
    I've ben having a ton of fun with this! 4 player games can get really crazy with all the crap that can get left on the track. Add me if you want to play some matches: bradytoomey

14. dosch033

Feb 27, 2009
    Yeah, the traps are quiet funny, but there are people who use it whenever they can. If you're second it kinda annoys :( There should be a limit for bombs and oil traps.

15. kevlar x

kevlar x Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Wales,uk
    I find it too awkward to switch so only ever use boost and stop.

16. phattestfatty

phattestfatty Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Anyone wanna play a game?... I got the same user as my ta name... Never played actual multi online, jes by myself... Addin people that posted users dorm last 2 pages...

17. dosch033

Feb 27, 2009
    #97 dosch033, Dec 31, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
    I created a thread with a list containing usernames. Check the general discussion part of the Toucharcade Forum :)

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=78856&highlight=disc+drivin

18. dosch033

Feb 27, 2009
    #98 dosch033, Jan 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
    Hey, check this two pictures :) First one is quiet weird. What are these two discs doing ??? :p
    And what's with the second one ? I think this disc is vomitting :( Fu**ing bombs :p

Attached Files:

19. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    A couple more little ideas—since who could ever get tired of me sticking my oar in? :p

1. Unique sound for push alerts instead of the standard.

2. Maybe randomize the order of the player list, so the host does not necessarily go first? (Since being an earlier player seems like it might be an advantage—especially when more people are in the game.)

3. Some sound effect for when a player finishes a lap.

4. Show your chosen powerup icon clearly at all times, not grayed out (it’s too hard to see). It could have a border that lights up or something when it’s ready.

5. Make the game list scroll-to-top when you tap the Disc Drivin’ title bar (to match the standard iPhone list-scrolling shortcut of tapping the time bar).

20. kevlar x

kevlar x Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Wales,uk
    Agree, I like when games do this, particularly carcassonne and uniwars push sounds.