Universal Disco Zoo (By NimbleBit LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Snotty128

Snotty128 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2013
    You sound at about the same point as me aikavari. I've maxed out the pig at the farm, and I'm only one or two from maxing out my platypus. I was considering saving up for the next vehicle and your hour long disco idea is a great one!

2. MrGreed

MrGreed Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Was really looking forward to this game so then i go to watch the Sanuku video and literally within 5-6 minutes of gamplay he must have watched 5-6 videos

NO THANKS

Seems grindy as hell and the fact you have to watch video after video to get five measly picks give me a break!

3. Ramaz1234

Ramaz1234 Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2013

It's actually really generous Mr.GREED

4. Snotty128

Jul 26, 2013
    You don't have to watch videos. In fact the videos run out pretty quickly and you have to play without that bonus. You're expected to repeat the same gameplay mechanic over and over, but if you've followed Nimblebit developed games then this should come as no surprise to you.

5. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    This is cute, but I don't see where the game is. Not for me, so deleted.

Could this be considered a Skinner Box?

6. xbtran

xbtran Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Its charming. I like the look of it a lot. But I can see this game becomming extremely boring very fast since it relies on one core mechanic, just like Tiny Tower.

7. kaibosh

kaibosh Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    Not one single person has described the game. Weird.

8. nicodemus82

nicodemus82 Well-Known Member

Perfectly fine! I put many hours into it on my iPhone 4 during testing :)

9. Snotty128

Jul 26, 2013
    It's a 5x5 grid where you have limited moves in an attempt to uncover animals, in the style of a battleships game. I suspect the grid size and number of attempts are mathematically balanced to provide near wins or near misses each round. That's the luck part. The skill part is remembering and considering the various shapes of the animals so you can make educated guesses as to where they will be. There's a fine balance between luck and skill which is the hallmark of a good game in my opinion. It's a simple mechanic for sure, but this is a casual game so that's actually a positive thing.

10. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    I did on page two ir three :D

I keep writing down the shapes that the animals appear in :D makes finding repeats easier.

11. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    Good plan, because otherwise it's hard to remember when you come back to the earlier levels.

Other tips:

Watch how many turns you have left - if there's not enough turns available to get another animal, look for coins, don't waste moves on completing half an animal.

Never do the shortest disco, it's a waste. If I restarted, I wouldn't use the bux at all, until later, when you bring in more coins.

If you have to choose between a rare and common animal, get the rare one.

12. idaveharris

idaveharris Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2013
    Where can I purchase the Zoopedia? It's not available in the store.

13. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    You can view it free on the farm by pressing on the animal icon while doing the match game. To buy it once you reach the next area just press on the animals icon at the top and it'll give you an option to buy the zoopedia

14. xbtran

xbtran Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Do you have to buy it for each area? And is there no other way to unlock it?

15. Robot:String

Robot:String Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2013
    Game & Web Designer
    Madrid, Spain
    Ideas for Matt and Owen:

Sending animals to other zoos, like Pocket Planes parts (I'm sure Ian can help here).

Mating: well, first you'd have to introduce gender, but then, if you have one of each, paying a couple disco bux and waiting, you'd get a new animal. Well, maybe unicorns can mate with same sex? XDDD

I really love this game. :)

16. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Hahahaha...*cough* *cough* *cough*

Good one. :)

17. Almerto

Almerto Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Love it, like i loved Tiny Tower! I hope they will use the same care & attention to this and keep on adding and updating! Keep up the good work!

18. kapshin

kapshin Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    KC, MO
    I have just started but I think I will end up liking this game a lot, pretty much any portrait game is great for me.

19. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    If you have ever played a Nimblebit game you'll know what to expect. However, Pocket Trains/Planes I was obsessed with way more than Pocket Frogs or Tiny Tower. To those trying to figure out where the gameplay is, it is not that complex to understand who this might appeal to. Do you like animals? Do you like collecting? Then there's a high chance that you'll love Disco Zoo. This could be the same discussion someone might bring up if they went to an actual zoo and became upset because they couldn't figure out where the roller coasters were. You're dealing with two different experiences.

Gameplay wise I find this just as appealing to me as Animal Crossing's museum collecting mini game. Personally I found it fulfilling finding pieces and building my collection, similar to how Disco Zoo works. I do have to agree with what Robot:String posted - I think there was a definite social sharing opportunity missed in this game to bring it on par with Pocket Tranes/Planes/Frogs, that has been known to send this forum into a frenzy.
    Maybe they will implement that later, maybe not (I highly doubt a rewrite of a core game function being added in later), still fun for what it is. And hey you can still compare zoos to people you know face to face, shocking thought I know, but I wouldn't mind hearing some Disco Zoo trash talk in person. :D

20. Zeillusion

Zeillusion Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2013
    Yea the zoopedia is boughten once and contains every pattern for every animal in the game. It's 2.99$ and totally worth it :)