Disco Zoo - From NimbleBit & Milkbag Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by eeenmachine, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Back2funk

Back2funk Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2010
    England
    Loving the game so far. No bugs to report.

I was going to comment that I'm not sure how long this simple game mechanic will keep me interested but I just read JCo133's comment so this may not be an issue :)

2. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    #62 Echoen, Feb 1, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
    At 156 animals caught, I manage to float around 10 discobux despite using quite a few during rescues. With the frequency I play this, the rate of getting bux is fair enough for a free game played with just enough patience... So far.

Will there be social features? (Sending currency, animals, etc)
    Daily bonuses/lottery?
    More side events like the escaped animals? I imagine saving visitors that cross the fence and get mauled by the animals :D

I love the random comments the visitors blurt out. Disco mode's also pretty rad. :)
    Any references to PETA? ;)

I noticed one message that says "If you pay real money you can win right away". Seems legit.

3. Mauno

Mauno Active Member

Dec 11, 2010
    Male
    This game is so addictive !
    Also have 242 animals :)
    The patterns ideas for rescue animals is great, I watch the ads for more attempts when free offers are available !
    I just see the ZooPedia in iAP, nice idea too.
    Don't see any bug by the way

4. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    Will there be the ability to add friends? Can we gift or trade animals for instance?

Love the things the people say. And also like that if they leave you a tip it stays on the screen if you swipe to the next pen and have to come back. Sometimes I am just madly swiping and see it drop mid swipe. I am grateful to be able to go back to it as sometimes it is a buck.

No one mentioned the mini game! Its cool and and easy way to get a buck. Will there be others?

5. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    #65 JCho133, Feb 1, 2014
    I'm at 248! All my mythicals are at level 2 ;)

I've got basically every pattern memorized and some techniques to find the animals. The patterns for the northern animals are really tricky at first and I loved that, it really does feel like battleship a lot. I'm usually getting 2 animals per rescue, sometimes 3, and sometimes 1 if there's only one animal in there.

I think a cool feature would be if you could go to your friends's zoos and offer them coins for animals, kinda like how other zoos do later in the game (a mechanic that should appear earlier I must say)

6. Jrec15

Jrec15 Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2013
    I will say that none of the patterns are random, meaning each animal does have a set pattern, the later areas being more challenging. Once you figure the patterns out, remember them! And then it is pretty smooth sailing. Also, i think the videos reset each day, i ran out as well but had more today. At 331 animals now :D did a disco last night that helped me a ton

7. ElectricGrandpa

ElectricGrandpa Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    Hmm, that's interesting that you found that Savanna was a "wall" like that. We honestly have tried to make sure there are no walls or any moments like that in the game. None of the savanna animals are random, they just have more complex patterns :) once you learn them it shouldn't be too tricky.

The videos are limited to 10 views per day, so that's why you might not see any available... we're looking into other things people could do for a bux.

We aren't planning on having any social features at launch. Those could be neat, but they're trickier to test and it'd be kinda hard to keep then from breaking the game. We also wanted the game to feel like you can beat it own your own, without buying IAP or having to enlist the help of friends.

We'd definitely like to do more mini games, we have lots of ideas for them, but we'll probably wait to add them in updates, I think.

8. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Yeah I think you're view on social features are right now that I think of it.

And more minigames would be great

9. Mauno

Mauno Active Member

Dec 11, 2010
    Male
    Found 1 bug.
    [​IMG]
    Just after the mini games (found lions), my two gryphons disapears (the lions replace them !)
    (I just swap the screen and there comes back).
    Oh and one time I have a guy with my sheep. (and same thing for debug it!)

Still an awesome game

10. ElectricGrandpa

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    Hah yeah right now there's a bug where the missing animals kind of eat the animals of the pen they are hiding in ;)

11. rewind

rewind Active Member

Dec 10, 2013
    I'm very occupied
    I really don't know
    #71 rewind, Feb 1, 2014
    This is the best freemium game I've played since Tiny Tower. It's wonderful, the music is wonderful, the wobbling characters are wonderful.

My only complaints would be the ridiculously high price of the Disco Parties. 50 bux for 8 hours is crazy, though I'm sure plenty of people will jump at it. Maybe giving players one free disco party would suck them into buying more.

Also, when you first play the game, there is nothing that tells you what to do or where to click. The zookeeper needs to tell the player to tap the 'map' button at the bottom. I feel like more guidance is needed in the beginning, especially since there's a lot of dumb people out there. The animals leveling up and the whole concept is cool, if people understand it.

Some of the key features, such as finding animals that escaped, need to be introduced earlier. Just rescuing animals gets very repetitive for some people and they will stop playing if they get bored of the same thing. I got hooked quickly, but that's because I'm OCD about having a full zoo and building an empire. Not everyone is OCD.

Overall, the game is enjoyable and I've found very few bugs. It's very good and I think it's just as appealing as Tiny Tower, but it could use another side-game and a better tutorial.

(On a side note, will we be able to keep our progress when the actual game is released? I wouldn't expect so from a beta, but just wondering if that'll be possible.)

12. rewind

rewind Active Member

Dec 10, 2013
    I'm very occupied
    I really don't know
    Well, the issue will be people quitting before this point.

13. ElectricGrandpa

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    Yup, the tutorial needs a bit of work still, especially right at the start.

That said, we really didn't want it to be a "directed" tutorial, in other words, we didn't want to tell people EXACTLY what to do, where it's like "click that button" and then they can't tap anywhere on screen but on that button. Instead, we're trying to do a "reactive" tutorial, where it gives you information based on the state you're at and when you go to certain screens, etc.

The 8 hour disco party is pretty expensive, but it's really just meant for people who buy IAP, it's not really necessary to do well in the game. If it was too much cheaper, then people would just save up their bux for that all the time, and that'd be kinda boring.

Thanks for the feedback!

Oh yeah and unfortunately when it comes out on the App Store I believe it'll appear as a different app on your home screen, so you won't lose your data (i don't think?) but your progress won't carry over... though actually it might through iCloud or something, I'll have to look into that :)

14. laxbro270

laxbro270 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2012
  15. rewind

rewind Active Member

Dec 10, 2013
    I'm very occupied
    I really don't know
    #75 rewind, Feb 1, 2014
    Cool. I wouldn't expect it to transfer and would be fine starting over, I was just curious.

I also didn't like the tutorial or gameplay of Tiny Death Star (I know that's not your game, but just an example) because it literally forced you to do what they wanted you to, in a certain order. I agree that a more layed-back tutorial would be great.

Oh, and I love how the animals hop towards you when you hold down on the screen.

Haha, just noticed the Ian Malcolm reviewer.

16. Mauno

Mauno Active Member

Dec 11, 2010
    Male
    At first I really think the lions eat my gryphons :D

17. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Hahah me too.

18. rewind

rewind Active Member

Dec 10, 2013
    I'm very occupied
    I really don't know
    My 4 platypuses escaped and 'ate' 2 koalas and 2 rabbits. They animals eventually reappear, so at least it doesn't effect the number of animals you have.

19. Jrec15

Jrec15 Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2013
    Slight bug- just had 2 customers show up in the pen with my pigs :O, when i swiped and came back it was fixed, just thought it was funny. Happened right after starting a search mini game

20. yells

yells Member

Jan 28, 2013