Do you play more mobile games or console/PC games? - A Discussion

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Bronxsta, May 1, 2013.

1. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    100% iOS games, but itching for a controller to play Counterstrike...

Maybe if my finances improve and it is out on Playstation 4...

2. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    I've barely touched my PC for games since I got my iPad. S much so that when it died I got a Mac - which is something I used to avoid because they're not as good for games.

3. MasterCosmo

MasterCosmo Member

May 2, 2013
    IT
    Detroit, MI
    Time is very limited these days so I find myself mobile gaming or Facebook gaming the most. My console time is limited to a couple hours a week at most.

4. Sambobsung

Sambobsung Well-Known Member

May 19, 2012
    Male
    Canada
    Someones's organized :rolleyes:

5. Enriana

Enriana Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2011
    East Coast, US
    I used to play exclusively on the PC, got my iPhone and played a bunch; around then Skyrim came out and I got sucked into it. I played PC games almost exclusively until I got my iPad Mini a few months ago, and now it's pretty much all iOS.

As mentioned, portability and price are hard to beat. That said, I've spent more time playing PC games and they tend to be bigger and more immersive with more content and thoroughly enjoyed myself. I try and wait until Steam slashes the price into quarters. ;)

When playing games on the PC I have a fairly short attention span and get bored easily - not because of the game, I just can only stay fully interested and active for so long. With my iPad Mini, I can have a ton of variety without spending a ton, and I can play wherever I want. Usually I'm playing at home, but the ability to go from desk to couch to living room is really nice. Also, any impulse buys that I regret later are only going to be in the single digits. :p

For me personally it's not either/or, I enjoy PC games - even the ones I've paid premium price for - and I love iOS games as well. Currently I'm just playing on my iPad, but I spend time at the computer anyway, so PC games are an option.

I'm also a huge multi-tasker, and being able to play a game while it's balanced on my legs while CSI is on my HDMI screen and I'm checking my email, new forum posts, and IMing is really great. Generally with PC games, I have to direct most of my focus there to really enjoy myself.

I've tried most consoles and they just didn't click with me - I'm bad at handling controllers, have terrible hand-eye coordination, and my iPad Mini outshines the DS I spent time with.

The "quick reply" isn't ending up to be too quick, but a final note: I don't currently have a community I participate in related to PC gaming/games, so TA - both the site & the forum - make playing on my iPad much more enjoyable. :)

6. Joltrabbit

Joltrabbit Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Borderlands 2 is worth more to me than that list.

And I budget money for my gaming habits apart from each other so I don't have to sacrifice one format for another.

7. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    iOS games trump Skyrim? Was it that bad?

I only stopped playing Oblivion when my XBox RRoDed. I then only stopped playing Fallout 3 when the refurb Microsoft foisted on me RRoDed.

Those were great games on very flawed hardware...

8. Enriana

Enriana Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2011
    East Coast, US
    Hahaha no, I was playing Aralon on an RPG kick just before Skyrim came out and started watching gameplay of Skyrim and got (re)hooked. Then the game ate a month of my life. :p

9. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I don't actually keep my PS3 games in those racks 'cause the Blu-ray cases are too short for it and they're all loose in there... that stuff annoys me. I just shoved 'em in to make the room look nicer while strangers were poking about my house. Had to be in some kind of order though or I'd go crazy.

10. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    In response...

Attached Files:

11. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Same for me. I don't own any consoles. Just do all my gaming on my iPod touch.

12. Sambobsung

Sambobsung Well-Known Member

May 19, 2012
    Male
    Canada
    OCD. Right there.

13. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    OCPD actually! Prevents me from enjoying non-retina iOS games.

14. Wow, Midian, you are a freakazoid. That is some gaming collection. Awesome. With that many games, how come you spend so much time on Toucharcade? The chatroom? ;)

15. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    One strange 'negative' about iOS gaming is that the games are actually so cheap you often dont always give them a chance.

Hear me out !

Back in the 80's you used to save up money for weeks to buy a game, you bought it and seconds later you thought 'why didnt i read the reviews in the magazines' as you realised the game was a load of rubbish.

BUT you had waited 5 minutes for the game to load, you had spent weeks of pocket money on it, you were DETERMINED to get your moneys worth so you persevered. Sometimes you were glad you did as you started to enjoy the game, other times despite playing it a few times in the back of your head you kept hearing 'come on this games rubbish'.

But hell no ! £7.95 for a game you saved up for, you had to keep playing it plus it took ages to load the game up.

Roll forward to 2013....

I buy 'Better than Portal' for 69p, load it, urrrgh had a few games, not good, 3 minutes later deleted !!! Now if this game was say £7.95 i would keep playing it to try and 'get into it' and enjoy it. But with 400 other games on my device, delete - next !

16. FoolishEarthling

FoolishEarthling Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2012
    Manchester, UK
    Yep.

[​IMG]

No contest.

17. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Dont get me wrong thats a stunning game, but i cant play it when i'm on the train easily, or on the tube, or when i'm away working and staying in a hotel. Cant easily have a few minutes of it now and then if my families making dinner etc.

Get more value for money with many more smaller iOS apps personally

18. FoolishEarthling

FoolishEarthling Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2012
    Manchester, UK
    I'm no iOS hater - I'm on TA because I play games on my iPhone and iPad.

But ultimately they're distraction games. Bus journeys. Lunch breaks. Calls of Nature.

I don't think iOS is a suitable format for most non turn-based games, and there's nothing in iOS that has the pull of a Skyrim, FIFA, BioShock or Call of Duty.

19. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    #39 MidianGTX, May 2, 2013
    Last edited: May 2, 2013
    Sure, you can play it in less places, but when you finally sit down with it, there's really no comparison. Those three minutes you played Punch Quest while waiting for your cinema tickets are barely worth remembering. I kinda look at gaming like I would skydiving or sunbathing. You do it when you have the time to do it, and it's really not a big problem. That's just how hobbies go.

I've never been too big on actually gaming while mobile anyway, to be honest. If you've got a spare two minutes, you don't need to fill them with a game. Just look around, talk to someone, listen to music, whatever. I play a lot of games but make up for it by not filling every single crack of downtime with even more games. Most of my iPad gaming is done at my desk.

I've definitely wasted more money on iOS games too. I might have bought maybe two console games I regret this gen, which could equal about £80... but I've easily bought over 100 iOS games that aren't worth a damn. Even the ones that are worth a damn, I probably didn't really need.

20. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    For me, it has always been this game:

Attached Files: