Do you play more mobile games or console/PC games? - A Discussion

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Bronxsta, May 1, 2013.

1. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I've always been a fan, from the Gameboy to the Pocket PC to the GP32/GP2X and now the ipod touch.

With a family/commitments its difficult to find time for gaming, thats why i said if i've got a few minutes here and there i can have a quick go.

Instead of spending hours hooking up a console and playing some huge game like Skyrim i then instead 'talk to someone/listen to music' as you put it ! The ipod if anything frees up a lot of time as i can have a quick go of it here and there.

Plus much cheaper than spending lots of money on console games

2. FoolishEarthling

FoolishEarthling Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2012
    Manchester, UK
    CounterStrike is another great. Modern Warfare was like returning to an old friend because it was like CounterStrike.

I'm amazed they haven't forked out for the rights to have Dust as one of the DLC maps.

3. Alister

Alister Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Philippines
    To me it just depends on which kind of a gamer you are..As to which I will choose,well I chose both pc and my iPad because both have their quirks(which I will explain later)..

Now let me just clarify some comments about the pricing difference..On an occasion of a sale through the lovely means of digital distribution,the value is not that far..For example since I just got into steam which believe it or not,last week..Here are my purchases so far:
    1.)Portal bundle(which is both portal 1 and 2)- 6.34$ (through a steam weekend sale)
    2.)trine- 2.00$(gamers gate spring deal)
    3.)trine 2- 3.75$(gamers gate spring deal)
    4.)trine 2 DLC:the goblin menace-2.00$(gamers gate spring deal)
    5.)torchlight 2- 6.78$(gamers gate daily deal sale,which i got this day and its still on if some body's interested)

Now clearly I spent less than 20$ and not even close to 60..I will also choose this list over the connector's on a heart beat..All you really have to do is wait or look for a bargain through retailer sites or from steam itself..

So what it boils down to are the quirks..I love the mobility and availability of IOS/mobile gaming because I can take it with me anywhere and play anytime(provided that the battery has some charge left)..PC has a lot of very high quality titles but needs to be played at a solitary or fixed place..Well there are my thoughts..

4. #44 Connector, May 2, 2013
    Last edited: May 2, 2013
    ^^^

One thing for me though, is I am rarely home. Almost always out on weekends. On weeknights, often get home around 10 pm, so yeah, my gaming is mostly all portable.

By the time I get home, usually turn on the tv and watch news or something interesting. Lay on my bed, with my ipad sleeve on my chest, doing whatever on my ipad. Games, web, news, TA, vids, etc.

Usually end up playing games when I play tv. Especially during commercials. If I was home all the time and had a lot of free time, I might possibly buy a console and games for a grand, but still probably not.

Tech on tablets vs consoles is probably usually about two years behind, but honestly my ipad with hdmi tv and icade and duo gamer joystick beats my old xbox with tons of games.

Sure, would like a ps3, but for the price, I would rather have an ipad 6 and an iphone 6 for sure.

5. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    What do you mean "for the price"? You can get an PS3 for less than half the price of an iPad. A new iPhone and iPad would equal a PS3 and about 30 games if you shop smart.

I'm not sure about the "two years" remark either. The 360 is over seven years old and most iOS games don't even match the depth and polish of its launch titles. It's debatable about whether or not they even match up to PS2 titles, we've got Vice City, but not San Andreas... nothing on the level of Gran Turismo 4 or Metal Gear Solid 2/3. There's still so much catching up to do if you're looking for "console-like" games on a mobile device.

6. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    chugs on my computer. And Morrowind was better.

7. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Contest.

Attached Files:

8. EddyDaKing

EddyDaKing Member

Mar 18, 2013
    You have heard of the PS Vita right? It's literally a portable console.

9. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Did Midi mean mobile as in portable or mobile as in cell?

Given that we are talking about iDevices, I would think it to be the latter...

10. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    #50 S.I.D. CrAzY, May 3, 2013
    Last edited: May 3, 2013
    Mostly handheld(3DS/Vita not mobile/iOS), then console, then finally PC. I can't even remember the last time I put any real time into an iOS game, bores me nowadays.

Edit: Also an iPad plus HDMI connection does not equal "console quality" lol. The iPad hasn't even caught up with the PS2 in terms of game library. Not directed at anybody in particular, I have just seen people say this in the past.

11. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    With literally no games.

12. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Literally?

13. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Figuratively. Nice catch.

14. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    What he said. I need at least 20 games in the library to make it worthwhile. I'm seeing about three.

Anyway, my posts aren't intended to be anti-mobile gaming. I wouldn't have been posting here for 4 years if I wasn't enjoying the games. I think console games are better on the whole, but I still love me some iOS.

15. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    Really? 20 games to make you buy one console?

i just need one killer app.

Sega Genesis: Revenge of Shinobi
    SNES: Actraiser
    Sony Playstation: Final Fantasy VII
    Nintendo N64: Goldeneye
    Sega Dreamcast: Typing of the Dead
    Microsoft XBox: Shenmue II
    Nintendo Gamecube: Super Mario Sunshine
    Microsoft Xbox 360: Perfect Dark Zero
    iPhone 3G: Safari
    iPad 2: Notes

What were your 20 games?

16. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    For which console? I don't always wait for the 20 games to be released, but I need to see the potential and trust that they're coming. Thus far the only console I've bought that I didn't reach 20 games with is the Wii, and I wish I hadn't bought it.

If I was rich enough to buy a console for one or two games game then ditch it I'd own everything.

17. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    Oh ya, the Wii... Its forced motion control gimmick shoehorned into most of its games really soured it for me. My N64 and Gamecube saw more use...

Sounds like you are more the research carefully type whereas I just plunge right in when I find my killer app.

No retina iPad Mini for me this year; just spent its budget on a Windows 8 tablet. Killer app: Microsoft Internet Explorer and Microsoft Office.

Irritating that during this day and age companies are still coding exclusively for Internet Explorer and refuse to load on any other browser...

18. While I agree an ipad 4 with hdmi tv with an icade joystick is not as good game wise as a PS3, it is a console.

[​IMG]

It has way more games, cheap too. Yes, most are crud, but there are alot of good ones too. Some like Nova 3, Real Racing 3, Repulze, etc aren't too far off of being better than a lot of the worst ps3 games.

19. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    You must either have had rich parents or a great job !

I cant justify getting a console/computer for one 'killer app', despite how good the game might seem spending $200-300 on a console for 'one game' is ridiculous !

Saying that i do have a confession, i did buy a PSX2 just for Vice City and boy did i get my moneys worth with that, playing that game a LOT (and then getting some decent money back on ebay when i sold the console/game).

Apart from that i like to try out a few games to see if theres a good range, my wife bought me a Wii a few years back thinking i would like it, couldnt stand it and the gimmicky controller. Again ebay !

20. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    What is it about Wiis and wives? My wife bought me my Wii too. Does Nintendo have some kind of wife subliminal marketing going on that brainwashes them into buying Wiis?