Do you play more mobile games or console/PC games? - A Discussion

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Bronxsta, May 1, 2013.

1. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    #61 crunc, May 3, 2013
    Last edited: May 3, 2013
    I mostly play iOS games, in large part because of board/card games. My most played is, easily, Ascension, and I think at this point Penny Arcade The Game: Gamers vs. Evil has taken 2nd place. Carcassonne is 3rd. And I have played lots of other board/card games as well. As far as other types of games, I really enjoyed Little Inferno and played that to the "end". Super Stickman Golf 1, 2 and the original - I've played these a ton. So great! Fireball SE is awesome and I've played it a lot, as well as their others games, which are also awesome. And there's plenty of other games I've put a lot of time into, many with more time than any console game. I have an iCade, but I don't really use it. It's not convenient.

I'd like to get a Vita, in large part because of the upcoming TxK. I need to save up my pennies (and wait for a price drop). Plus I have PS+ so I'll get a bunch of games for it for "free".

2. Man-E-Faces

Man-E-Faces Member

May 3, 2013
    I haven't even opened my HD version of ico/Shadow of the Colossus. Then again, I've always preferred handhelds, since I got the fat gameboy back in '89. Hell, I used to play it while plugged in to the wall. Now, it's mostly because of my smoking habit.

3. Man-E-Faces

Man-E-Faces Member

May 3, 2013
    I never understood the idea of spending 200+ bucks for one single game. Makes about as much sense to me as the kid down the block who owned a Neo Geo when cart prices were 150+. Oh yeah, he was rich, so there's that.

4. mrbiggles

mrbiggles Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Like retired
    USA
    mobile games = family life

mobile ios games! because of family, wife, kids, work, friends etc = not much free time now - from going back to when I was 8 to 20 years old blowing by hours of gaming!

if I was a teenage kid I'd pick computers, consoles as I'd have more free time to dabble/lan/gaming space etc

just glad i was a kid that did it all from outdoor sports daily to gaming with friends, and not being stuck in a room by myself. just wish i wasn't a collector going back to the c=64, amiga, nes, snes, ps2 eras.

5. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    Ios for sure, just because of time and convenience. I love console games and made time for god of war, but having a job and a gg means no time for 12hr sessions. If I were on unemployment or had no gg I could get into an mmo or arpg easier, but otherwise I play in bed mostly and I still get crap from my gf.

6. The irony is, if you were unemployed as you suggest, you probably could't afford console games and ios would be better cause you could get away with just free games.

7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    To me the Wii seems 'family friendly' with all the adverts/marketing, i was really surprised my wife bought me it. She knows i love gaming just i was never after a Wii, fair play to her for the surprise but sadly didnt work !

Its great to see handheld gaming so popular, before it seemed it was just for the 'nerds/gamers' now its everywhere. I've got friends who were never into gaming before and theyre hooked, sadly its rubbish like Angry Birds but theres still hope !

8. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    I think it's easier for husbands to get a quick game in on mobile, if I were single it'd be most likely PC/console.

9. Jacob007

Jacob007 Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Indiana
    I definitely like IOS better. With the hassle of my everyday life, I always can pull out my iPod and get another round of Jetpack Joyride in ;)

The thing about IOS is that there are so many apps and games to choose from. Theres something for everyone. And with everyone's lives getting busier every day, the sheer mobility of these games and being able to play them whenever you want just tips it off for me. The apps are cheap, fun, and mobile, which is why I'd choose IOS over a console. Sure, there are some nice console games, but IOS is convenient and easy comparatively.

10. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I understand the sentiment, but I still think we'll all be a lot better off on the day when closer comparisons between consoles and handhelds can be made. The criteria for playing a game shouldn't have to be convenience (it's not often mentioned in reviews ;)) it should simply be because the game is great. As good as iOS games can be, a lot still rests on the convenience factor.

11. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

True. A few IOS games do approach that level of quality, though. Maybe not retail quality, but definitely XBLA or PSN quality, games that I would happily buy if they were 9.99, 14.99, 19.99 downloadable games.

IMO, the ones that match that quality on my device include:
    - Block Fortress
    - Penumbear
    - Bike Baron
    - Super Hexagon

12. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    My wife played a bit of Wii Sports and Mario Party before giving up on it.

Surprisingly, Phoenix Wright can hold her attention on the DS. She played all the Phoenix and Apollo games without my prompting, but did not want to touch the Edgeworth one, which is about the same as me.

Hmm, Nintendo's subluminal mind control at work again? :)

13. bossepy

bossepy Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2012
    I am totally agree with all midiangtx's opinion. I think most of ios games are arcade-y great, only for short burst. It is hard to find immersive ios games which is not a port.

14. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Completely done with console gaming! Have had every console and hand-held multiple times except the old Neo Geo and that one table top game monstrosity ( I forget it's name) where everything is red. No more arcade cabinet games either, all gone bye-bye now. I love mobile gaming and that's my thing now exclusively. Been totally into the IOS, and now the Android. Absolutely the best thing for me as well, what with a family, full- time job and everything that goes with that.

15. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    How does hexagon qualify? It's just a few lines of code moving a block back and forth frustratingly to get it between other lines.

16. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Almost every single iOS nowadays has IAPs. Even gems like cut the rope feel that they just NEED to add in IAPs or it won't feel right, despite it being a pretty useless IAP (unlock all levels, who actually buys that lol). It makes all your games feel like they're damn demos.
    And well IAPs just aren't console quality. They might be console quality from the past (like PS1 ports or something), but they're almost all casual stuff like endless runners or games with the word "zombies" in the title which I absolutely can't stand. These are the games that you find on flash game websites and aren't meant to be serious games.
    So no, for that reason I would play console games more. But I don't own a console so in reality I don't play much games at all.

17. JediBear

JediBear New Member

May 8, 2013
    Programming
    Switzerland
    I play more mobile games, mainly because I'm interestes in just 2 games for console and they come out later this year. Mobile gaming is good because of the variety and for the prices. With less than 5$ you can play awesome games like PvZ, Badland, Rayman Origins, Dead Space and Mass Effect for example. I won't buy a next-gen console, so mobile gaming is the future for me!

18. M.O.

M.O. Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2012
    I think that this is a trend that will eventually tone way down. The store is so new, and their are still people trying to chase down some "Angry Birds money". They don't realize that the store has underwent a huge shift in the past couple of years. So while there will always be a your clash of clans type f2p games, I think that eventually it will tone down to a more traditional hey buy this game and then play/enjoy.

19. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Well i really really got into some of the RPG's like Aralon (loved that) and then the Ravensword sequel.

Been playing some of the older RPG's on iOS and i've been playing them for ages.

Still love the device, i've got a lot of short arcade style games, a lot of longer games i go back to now and then, different types, gamebook/RPG/platform/retro etc.

Just so much variety. Its funny though, today i'm moaning theres only 2 games i want, hello ! I should simply go back to one of the 400 i've got installed on my device and play that till i finish it etc. Crazy ! I horde a lot of games which is bad. But again i love the variety i've got at my fingertips

20. ttocs

ttocs Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2012
    Sr. Data Analyst
    Baltimore, MD
    I'm a console/PC gamer through and through but I do enjoy the occasional mobile game. I wish mobile games could compete with the console games but in my eyes they just don't. I know a lot of people play strictly mobile games and that's awesome but I don't think I could ever make the switch to more mobile than console.