Do you play more mobile games or console/PC games? - A Discussion

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Bronxsta, May 1, 2013.

1. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    All my gaming is being done on iOS at the moment, although for various reasons as of late I've become increasingly bored with the platform.

2. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Lets just say that since I got my first iPhone I havent played any other gaming platform (Except Battlefield 3 :p) ever since...

3. Cause most every really good game is going freemium nowadays and full of tons of inapps, and if not, many games go freemium converts after one month.

But the trend will probably change after awhile, more to a hybrid gamr which may of maynot be free, but with less obstructive inapps. Or maybe it'll change to more premium 99 cent games.

I think this experimentation of $100 cars, $100 boats, etc, will change after 6 months, or at least I hope so.

4. Andy C83

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    I don't let the IAP nonsense bother me too much. I mostly manage to avoid the games that implement IAP poorly, and I rarely play freemium games.

I think my apathy towards iOS of late stems from me missing the kind of experiences that only console gaming has given me.

5. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    GTA V is looking spectacular :p

6. Andy C83

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    #86 Andy C83, May 9, 2013
    Last edited: May 9, 2013
    Heh, indeed it is. Good job on your endeavour to lure me away from the dark side. ;)

7. zzandreezz

zzandreezz Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2013
    USA
    I am playing TWEWY on my iphone and Bioshock infinite on PC and I'm enjoying them both.

8. Kamil_GoodnightGames

Kamil_GoodnightGames Well-Known Member

May 6, 2013
    New Jersey
    Console

Although I gained interest in gaming on smaller platforms like smartphones or the ipad. I still am primarily gaming on consoles. I much prefer the larger screen size. Some games can utilize the small screen space well such as dead space but overall i find it hard to get immersed in gaming when its on my phone.

9. Viltsu300

Viltsu300 New Member

May 13, 2013
    Me. Angry Birds? Cut The Rope? HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAH!

10. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Not a good advert for your company then who are releasing a couple of iOS games soon !

11. Kamil_GoodnightGames

May 6, 2013
    New Jersey
    #91 Kamil_GoodnightGames, May 23, 2013
    Last edited: May 23, 2013
    Hah! yea i know that may sound a little off putting,and it is primarily my droid charge which i've dropped one too many times. its not quite as responsive. i am gaining much more interest though as I have recently discovered alot more games that I am excited about since I just got an ipad in the past few days. And don't get me wrong, im still very passionate about making them :)

12. Elixir

Elixir Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2013
    Canada.
    #92 Elixir, May 23, 2013
    You also have to consider satisfaction. It's extremely satisfying to sit in front of a tv, Xbox controller in hand playing the likes of FIFA13 than use touch controls. Overall, despite having all the high end titles as well as a 5th gen iPhone, games such as Fifa, block fortress and ravensword shadowlands imo aren't suited very well for touchscreens, whereas simplistic games such as cut the rope and angry birds are. How could I explain this? The fifa version on iOS currently is quite embarrassingly bad in contrast to consoles. Modern combat 4 with touch controls is also quite bad compared to black ops 2.

That's just my thoughts. Despite the power of mobile devices, despite the convenience, despite the portability I still think consoles are far superior in what they were made for: gaming.

I don't know of the frequently discussed Hdmi, but if you can afford to sit in front of a tv with your ipad, you should be able to use a console as well.

13. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Well with an ipad a couple of swipes and its on the tv, with a console i have to rig it up, then save my progress, put it all away etc. Much easier with an ipad.

Again consoles are the best for games, but for a quick game here and there mobile games are superb. Also if you're travelling, or believe me if you are married or have a young child, difficult at times to suddenly hook up a console and have a few hours gaming.

14. 3n+r0py

3n+r0py Active Member

Jan 20, 2013
    Philippines
    #94 3n+r0py, May 23, 2013
    Gaming on both mobile and pc now

For the past year or so, I was totally hooked with gaming on my iphone and ipad - nothing else. The choice of games are mind boggling and the quality both graphics and gamplay wise - are enough to induce gamelock :)

Before that it was all PC, but 2 weeks ago I got a hold of Skyrim and Counterstrike: Global Offensive during sale periods, and I play them regularly whenever i'm chilling at home, and back on iOS gaming whenever i'm away.

Right now the fidelity of playing a full-blown rpg with all the pc-GPU eye candy skyrim throws at you , or the 60fps twitch gaming excitement coupled with the very real tactile feedback of a mouse and keyboard (with the eye candy still) plus a regular 23" monitor cannot be matched by any mobile device to date, that's why i'm still playing on a pc.

But as photographers would say, the best camera is the one that's with you.
    I still game on iOS more.

15. Kamil_GoodnightGames

May 6, 2013
    New Jersey
    Mobile gaming has definitely come along way. I think each has its advantages and disadvantages and I'd say there are plenty of games out there that utilize touch screen very well. And from a graphical stand point, some of these games wow me. that game ravensword looks amazing.

16. 3n+r0py

3n+r0py Active Member

Jan 20, 2013
    Philippines
    And considering that ravensword was made with Unity - which is free for developers now, I wonder what kind of games will pop up next? I say bring it on!

17. 3n+r0py

3n+r0py Active Member

Jan 20, 2013
    Philippines
    Ditto

18. Thaumite

Thaumite Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    Believe it or not, Rising Storm, Killing Floor and Garry's Mod keep me more occupied than mobile.
    I just don't have the time of day to drive out to a local gas station/store and buy a card.
    Buying money right on steam and buying games off there is easier, plus they have better graphics.
    And Red Orchestra 2 is my baby, which is why PC is my way to go.

19. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    With The Last of Us out in a couple of weeks, I think my mobile time might take a hit

20. Kamil_GoodnightGames

May 6, 2013
    New Jersey
    Yea Unity is great! My buddy is cooking up some ideas for a game where you and your buddies go up against an invasion from hell. And we are thinking of using unity.