Do you want to play Magic the Gathering on iPhone or another CCG?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by wikoogle, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

The problem with editable deck lists is that there's no good way to balance it without the randomness that comes with buying packs of cards. Like if you had access to the complete M:TG card catalog, why would you ever do anything but create a deck of nothing but ultra rares?

For what it is, the XBLA game is pretty fun. If you're looking to customize your decks, check out Magic: Online. You have to buy virtual packs of cards, but you can easily sell your account on Ebay if/when you get tired of it for close to the value of the cards associated with your account.

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Honestly though the implementation of Magic: Online is kind of annoying, especially with digital packs of cards costing the same as physical packs. I emailed them a long time ago suggesting that they serialize their packs of cards that you buy at the store, and include some kind of single-use redeem code kind of like how iTunes promo codes work where you'd "unlock" that pack of cards online, and with the serial number and redeem code it would know exactly which cards you have.

That way you'd have physical AND virtual cards. If they did this, I'd probably just reassign my direct deposit paychecks to go directly to WotC.

3. Lions

Lions Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Designer
    DC
    I've been itching for MTG to be on the iphone since the start. I even thought about making a deck builder on the iphone until I realized Wizards wouldn't be very happy with me.

The only thing that worries me is their pricing structure. If they do it like Magic: Online I'll never buy/play it. Let me pay to unlock access to a set. Not a pack. Maybe unlocking a set wouldn't allow you instant access to those cards. Maybe you would still have to win games to earn them. Anyway, just a random idea

4. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Yea my buddy had an older program on PC with all the cards on it (Anyone reference for me?), I mean everything that was made up until that time, His "Virtual" deck had like 3 black lotus and some other craaaazy cards, it was borderline ridiculous!

5. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    #25 Booch138, Jul 2, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
    /signed.

I am so bad with packs, I usually blow wads of money on boxes when I was really into the games. Me and some friends even went 4-way on a case of WoW:TCG cards (12 Boxes, 24 packs each Box). That shit was fun...

In any event, I think your idea would be awesome. And if WotC did do this, my bank account is all gone. Give us online play and competition and man... That's all I'd be doing.

If this never happens though, I would like to see Orions 2 have online multiplayer. That would be pretty cool. I really liked the first game, I thought it was pretty creative.

6. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Only been through one case, me and 4 friends went in on one a couple years back... I don't think I ever had more fun then that, it was like christmas! Too bad we were done opening them all in just a few hours,.....like 1... :p

7. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Isn't it though?!?! All you hear for hours is just ripping foil and "Holy shit look what I pulled!" or "F*ck not another one!" kind of stuff. I swear we all nearly sat around my mailbox for the shipment to come in like little kids. I've only been through one case myself, but I have been through several boxes. Easier to get ahold of without having to go online. I am more of an instant gratification kind of guy ;)

8. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Yea the only problem when you don't buy a case at one time you will almost never get the extremely rare cards. i think the dude at my comic book store opens a case until he gets the rares and sells the the rest of the boxes as "whole" boxes, but I think there is 0% of rares. A good example is my brother is into WoW, and bought 3 boxes, not one of the boxes contained a rare card... I actually felt really bad as we were gettting down to the last of the packs... I knew that's exactly what happened... I have been thinking of getting the Lost collector cards, the rares include pieces of clothing from the shows main actors... I want a piece of Kates panties more then anything!.... Mmmmm Kate austin you will be mine, oh yes you will be mine.....:D

9. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Back when I was in highschool and had access to high-end chemistry equipment we'd go in after class to use the supremely accurate scale they had. I don't remember how many decimal places it gave, but it had a cover you put over it to take measurements because disturbances in air movement would make the scale change.

Anyway, packs with foiled cards were ever so slightly heavier. We'd buy boxes, measure all the packs, take out the ones with the foils, then unload the rest as unopened packs on Ebay. With a delicate enough scale, you can achieve pretty decent accuracy when foil hunting.

Pretty tricky. ;)

10. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Oh also, are you guys excited for the M:TG rules reboot? I got invited to some pre-release of the new card set with new rules. I haven't played in so long, I don't really know the difference between the new and the old, but I quit playing when things became so convoluted and they started adding a million different creature abilities that can only be blocked by different new creatures.

Also WotC got kind of slap happy with releasing all kinds of overpowered artifacts that give you extra life out the wazoo.

11. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ

Yup both old old tricks. And I knew people at a old local comic shop that did the foil weighing as well. Smart, but dirty lol. And yeah when I used to hang on on the WoW:TCG forums, I heard more than ever of people buying cases from shops online and all the rares were taken, yet they were still seemingly "Sealed". Pretty messed up in my opinion, but meh. If you get away with it, you get away with it.

12. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Yeah true. Then again, I didn't need artifacts to keep my life up. All I needed was at least 3 elves on the field, and 2 Well Wishers. GG. I had a speedy deck that took a while to kill off, if you could and I was really proud of it.

However, I did not know they are revamping the rules. That's pretty freaking crazy... That's dope as hell you got invited though. Gunna have to post what's new, I'm interested even though I hardly play anymore.

13. fenrir911

fenrir911 Well-Known Member

May 30, 2009
    new player with so far an undefeated exalted deck xD. its fun but i hate land destruction decks.... my artifact deck is my last resort cause its undefeated only cause i dun play it alot. my destruction deck sucks cause it depends too much on multicolors. would love MTG on the go

14. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    @Hodapp, !!!! That's how they do it?! No way!.... Sneaky! Well go figure on those prices of single boxes vs. a case... It all makes sense now. I actually wanted to start my own comic shop here just so i could get the dealer discounts on cards for myself! ... I haven't played MTG in at least 10 years now, wow hard to believe it's been around that long! Now we just D&D it up every sat. at my house... Let me know about those new rules and what you think... ;)

15. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    #35 Booch138, Jul 2, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
    The only thing I hated, and only cause EVERYONE played them, were Blue Counterspell decks. Those were one of the few decks that got me sometimes. But not all the time. it was just so damn annoying that about 50% of the people I played with at school HAD to have a Blue Counterspell deck. The other bane I had was all black Zombie decks witht he direct damage and sacrafising and all that crap. Unless I got some surviving well wishers out, I usually got taken down to quick with DD.

16. wikoogle

wikoogle Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    My favorite by far was/is Suicide Black decks, esp the new deck "Eva Green"

It's such an incredibly powerful and fun deck. So much fun to play.

17. Dark NRG

Dark NRG Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Filmographer
    You beat me to this, been wanting to post about M:TG for the past month!

I played since Beta deck.

Early packs, before the foil, we would cherry-pick the packs that we could see the best rares in, bc they were translucent. Still, the money I spent... almost like... THE APP STORE!!!

18. wikoogle

wikoogle Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    So what was ur favorite deck?

19. Shinto

Shinto Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Spain
    I discovered Magic in the 360 and an iPhone version will be awesome. Surely soon they will port that xbox version I guess and hope

20. Dark NRG

Dark NRG Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Filmographer

Whoops, lost this thread!
    I didn't do decks, just expansions and built my own decks. Antiquities, Arabian Nights, Mirage, had lots of those, and Shivan Dragons ;)
    Just think of the trade/purchase in app possibilities, but then again it's not a popular, goin the way of POGS lol.