Do you want to play Magic the Gathering on iPhone or another CCG?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by wikoogle, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Benegesserit

Benegesserit Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Orions doesn't deserve a mention. Never have I seen an app so neglected for updates. Especially when they have been hammered for requests on an update for over a year.

2. skamando

skamando Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Student
    Folsom, CA
    I would love an MTG game, WITH ANIMATIONS. Just looking at the cards is boring as hell. So, if anyone plans on doing something like that, please include animations of some sort that don't deal with the cards themselves. you'll get a buy from me.

3. Jeffro87

Jeffro87 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2009
    I still to this day play "Magic The Gathering: Online". It's very addictive, and if something of the likes came out for the iphone I swear i wouldn't know what to do with myself haha. The days of me playing with physical cards with friends is way in the past... For one im 21 years old now and not 13... and even if i did still play with actual cards there's no way id want to meet up with some strange as hell people. My girlfriend would start to wonder about me playing a card game with Llanowar Elves and Hill Giants haha. But with something digital such as a computer game or even better an game on the iPhone that would be phenominal... because i still play obviously because MTG is an amazing game no matter how you look at it. No game or card game is diverse as MTG.

4. Benegesserit

Mar 9, 2009
    Or as expensive.

5. Dismiss

Dismiss Active Member

Jan 15, 2009
    The cost of keeping up with the regular MtG expansions eventually made me abandon the game, even though I managed to compete and place 8th in the local Regionals. I think it was around the time of the Urza set that I decided to sell my cards and leave the game. I still think it is one of the best strategy games ever designed, but the sustained cost can be hard to bear, especially compared to the fixed-subscription model of an MMORPG.

A switch to a subscription model would make me pick it up again. For the time being, however, I would be content if I could play Duels of the Planeswalkers online using the simplified rules, just as I do on XBLA.

6. XGLITE

XGLITE Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    England
    I play online but I dont keep up with the new expansions. I make unique decks with cards out of many sets (thats the great thing about magic online). At the moment Im playing with an enchantment/honden deck.

It amazes the amounty of new mechanics and word meanings in the game now. Each new set they make up atleast another few mechanics (exalted, cascade, devour?). Some of the new cards are also extremely powerful, with small mana costs.

Anyway...
    Great game and would love to see it on the iphone either as a version of MTGO or like XBLA's Plainswalkers.

7. KSC

KSC Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    I'm with Dismiss as far as playing MTG goes. I only play the eternal formats now as it's just ridiculous having to shell out hundreds of dollars for a new Type 2 deck every few months. Unless you have a huge card pool (ie all the duals and regular staples), it's just too hard to keep up.

MTGO is even worse. You pay the same amount of money to buy "packs of cards" and you have nothing tangible to show for it. At least the 4 worthless pieces of paper that say "Tarmogoyf" in my binder make me feel slightlybetter about the $80 I spent on them.

Anyway, I'd love to play on the iPhone, but if WOTC is involved, it will cost an arm and a leg. What I'd like to see is something like MWS ported over to a mobile version. Hell, I'd even play without artwork on the cards in order to have access to Magic on the go.

8. Shinto

Shinto Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Spain
    A version of the XBLA or a similar one I think is the best, because I dont want to buy 1000 cards to be able to play. I prefer unlocking cards ingame but not pay for cards

9. wikoogle

wikoogle Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
  10. Benegesserit

Mar 9, 2009
    This was done a LONG time ago, many times by many people with everyone getting the same response that they were going to do it. Then sometime around developing the first major update to iDracula, they started telling everyone no.

If development time on it is killing them, they should consider two things: A) The single player campaign was stupid (having to re-buy cards on the black market sucked and the resource management map mini-game was really dumb), and the real solid core were the duels. Just reduce the game file by a ton by making a duels only game (have a duel storyline list of opponents if you need a campaign with card unlocks along the way), and of course multiplayer. B) Use 3.0 and sell the new cards as expansions in-game. I play the expansions (duels only) through a winmo emulator and I would easily pay to get it on my iPhone.

11. Aspargusman

Aspargusman Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    yugioh would be a surprising addition to the app store. magic the gathering is a must

12. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Vampire: The Eternal Struggle might be a great addition to the iphone app store too!

13. INCyr

INCyr Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Oh man, it's been years since I've thought about that game. Used to play it a ton, back in the day. Personally, I'd love to see Shadowfist on the iPhone, if we're digging up old, obscure CCG's. Or Netrunner.

14. jonusx

jonusx Active Member

May 12, 2009
  15. Lions

Lions Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Designer
    DC
    Nice, I wonder if it's worth $5 though? Also can't they get in trouble for including card images in their app?

16. jonusx

jonusx Active Member

May 12, 2009
    It follows the DCMA by not including any copyright info in the app, it has to be downloaded and cached. I'm actually the developer, by the way. Any questions, I'll do my best.

17. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

This app is actually extremely useful if you're serious about Magic. The auto-suggest card search as you type card names is especially helpful since a lot of cards have weird difficult to spell (and often mispronounced) names. I'm not sure I'd ever use the life counter or built in dice because it's nice to have a physical life total on paper of both players with a history of the damage in case you ever need to call a judge, but otherwise it's a neat little utility.

18. wikoogle

Jun 10, 2009
    Still waiting on MTG for the iPhone.

19. Mistrya

Mistrya Member

Jun 7, 2010
    MTG would be awesome, no question about that.

It's all about GUI, licenses to develop, and good will of people from Wizards OTC.

Till than, I play Orions, Sword&Poker, and waiting for Arena 9 also...

20. wikoogle

Jun 10, 2009
    #60 wikoogle, Jun 10, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
    LOL, Old thread.

I agree we should start a letter writing campaign to get Magic: Duel of the Planeswalkers ported to the iPhone.

They're already porting it to the PC and PS3 (it was originally on X360) so an iPhone port is a good next step.

Everyone who might be interested in having this game ported to the iPhone, please read the OP and email...

[email protected],
    [email protected]