Universal Dodonpachi Ichimen Bancho (by Cave)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by asaw2, Dec 14, 2015.

1. 9x16

9x16 Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    EST/EDT
    #21 9x16, Dec 15, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
    I've unlocked normal difficulty for Stage 1. I think by
    exceeding 80% on it
    . I haven't been able to do the same for Stage 2 to confirm the theory. [EDIT: Confirmed.
    Pretty straightforward with Type-C.
    ] [EDIT2:
    Works for normal to hard too. Possibly not hard to maniac, but it may be that Stage 2 and Stage 1-2 need to be unlocked on a given difficulty level before the next is made available.
    ] Focusing on random level ups didn't help. Assuming I'm correct, I'd say that CAVE and YGW have nailed this one, forcing me to learn the game in a way I've not had to in other STGs. While I can easily complete both stages
    individually and combined
    [on easy] without losing a ship and not using bombs, in order to proceed I apparently needed/need to do more.

I'd read about the complex scoring mechanics in STGs - particularly CAVE's - but I've always been more interested in completing a STG with a limited number of credits, and haven't gone the next step of chasing score. So now, at a minimum, I'm going to have to rethink how I approach STGs, particularly as I'm finding that there are only a handful that I really enjoy.

So despite the lackluster first impression, this one is really shaping up.
    The options for an AI 2P are quite fun, if hectic.

Hard to say for sure, since the options change as you proceed. FWIW, I have four which I believe are: increase fire rate, increase player stock, broaden item recovery range, and broaden firing area.

2. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Nice, all great things to know. Cheers

3. rtificial

rtificial Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2015
    pastry chef
    Georiga
    So far it's been easy and I've unlocked a few things I think? I got some shields. What do the big C items do? It always gives me a pop up telling me but I don't read Japanese. I think I unlocked stage 2 on my second play through.

4. toby7ten

toby7ten Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Guys how do I pause the game lol

5. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    #25 VirtualBoyFreak, Dec 15, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
    You can press the bottom banner and it pauses. I want an English translation to understand how to do things... :( I'm feeling as when I played Densha De Go! Games many years ago.

6. toby7ten

toby7ten Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Cheers mate! I felt the same trying to play Densha when it was in London arcades haha

7. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    This game is simply beautiful! Eye candy

8. EightRooks

EightRooks Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    Liking it - it's much better than "F2P shooter from Cave" would suggest - but I cannot get over 80% for the life of me. No idea what lowers your percentage (it's too hectic even on Easy for me to have a clue why some things push it down) and I have no option for Types B or C. Haven't beaten 1-2 yet, either.

I'm assuming there will be no English version of this, given Cave announced they were done with the mobile market in the West. It's still weirdly core-friendly, though (can be played offline, you can still get coins even if you skip the ads, you have to do really well to unlock higher difficulties etc.).

9. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Yet they did release it in the west?

I hope they do a translation. I really do like this game. Hell I just like everything they make.

Billy

10. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    How do I unlock stage 2? Do I have to 100% stage 1?

11. setomoto

setomoto Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2015
    You need to get that hit percentage gauge on the left to at least 75-80% after completing boss of each stage. Doing so should unlock the next stage and may also unlock the difficulty. I am unsure if you need to have a no-miss bonus on the stage to get the next difficulty though. But I am having fun trying to figure out the unlock conditions.

12. EightRooks

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    75% gets the next stage, 80% gets the next difficulty. At least, I'm pretty sure that's how it's worked for 1, 2, and 1-2. 75% is easy just by grinding up your ship stats; 80%, not so much. I think the percentage drops if you let anything escape, though I'm not certain of that. I don't think it matters if you lose any lives or use any bombs.

It automatically (?) drops a fair bit before any boss comes on, but it looks like you can boost it back up a bit more by breaking the boss down bit by bit - you can take the stage 1 boss out by just blazing away at the middle or you can break off each side first. Again, not certain, but when I finally got 80% on stage 1 that's what I tried to do, and it seemed to be working (the boss fight lasted a little longer and it seemed to break out a different attack).

13. kaspalone

kaspalone Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2014
    It seems like you have to get the no miss bonus AND end the mission with the gauge north of 75%. if you wanna unlok other difficulties, the gauge has to be north of 80%. I've confirmed this for mission 1 up to maniac level and for 1-2 level for normal difficulty.

There seems to be a mission 3, but i have not unlocked it yet nor know the conditions to do so.

14. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    Cool thanks guys! I thought it was like the last DDP games where after you finish the boss, you advance to the next stage. Thank you again

15. xjaff

xjaff Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    #35 xjaff, Dec 17, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
    I am enjoying this so far. I have not figured out all the scoring mechanics, which is fine as with most Cave games part of the fun is figuring out how everything works. Without an English translation it does make figuring out the unlocking and upgrades a challenge.

Here are random bits of information that I have been able to figure out so far:

The name roughly translates to 1st Stage Badass. I think in Japan this is a name for a player that gets really good at the first one or two stages of a game but then is terrible at the rest of the game. Perhaps they designed this game toward that type of player.

There are at least two stages in this game. Looking at the UI it appears as though there might be a 3rd stage, but I have yet to find a way to unlock it.

There are at least 6 difficulty levels. Easy, Normal, Hard, Maniacs, God, Red

Unlocking Stages:

Everyone starts on Easy with only Stage 1 unlocked.

Stage 2 unlocked immediately for me when I cleared Stage 1 with no hits. There may be other ways to unlock the next stage (number of times played, or achieving a certain percentage, etc.) however I did not experience that since a no-hit run already unlocked the next stage for me.

After Stage 2 the next stage is 1-2 (again this was unlocked for me after a no-hit on Stage 2) and is just a combined run of the first two stages. A no-hit run on this Stage 1-2 did not unlock anything further for me.

Unlocking difficulty:

To unlock the next difficulty I had to achieve 80% or higher on each stage. Stage 1 Easy with 80% unlocked Stage 1 Normal, then an 80% on Stage 1 Normal unlocked Stage 1 Hard, etc. It's possible to unlock all the difficulty levels for just a single stage (ex. unlock all Stage 1 difficulties without unlocking Stage 2 or 1-2).

This held true until God mode. Achieving 80% in Maniacs difficulty did not unlock the stage in God mode - instead I had to also have a no-hit run on the Maniacs stage before the God mode would unlock. Edit: this may have been the case for Maniacs difficulty also, no-hit and 80% the previous stage to unlock the higher difficulty.

After finishing God mode stage 1-2 a Red mode appeared. I haven't been able to unlock it, probably have to get a no hit run on stage 1-2 God mode - tough!

Coins:

The C items that drop represent Coins. If you collect 5 C items during a run, after your game you can collect coins for those C items. You are presented with a screen to select a random card to watch an ad. If you pick a card and then skip the ad you only get the same number of coins as you collected (in this case 5) but if you watch the entire ad you then get a bonus number of coins based on the random card you selected. This bonus is either 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5 or 3 times the number of C items, so you could score up 15 coins instead of 5 in this example. So, they are encouraging you to watch the entire ad.

Percentages:

I have not figured out the details yet. It may be the percentage increases every enemy you hit and it decreases for every enemy that leaves the screen alive. Or it may related to chaining, frequency of explosions or keeping your gun trained on enemies. Or a combination of all :)

I did notice my percentages seem to be higher, always in the 80s, if I first pick off some of the appendages on the bosses before killing the boss.

I have not achieved a 90% or higher on any stage yet, so I don't know if that gives a bonus (perhaps unlocks Stage 3?)

Upgrades:

This is most difficult to figure out, since the descriptions are not in English. I have mostly been upgrading the shot settings and bombs. You need Coins to upgrade, so that is where the f2p comes in - you need to watch those ads after every game to get your bonus coins.

Ship Types/Characters:

Looks like there are 3 ship types/characters. They are unlocked via the "Common Custom" level up screen for 100 coins each.

Type A/Shuri - Staight shot
    Type B/Hikari - Straight + Directional shots
    Type C/Maria - Wide spread shots

There are additional unlocks in the same common custom screen for a "double play" mode with a second a.i. ship. and a "with friends" mode.

Edit: corrected number of ship types, added red mode.

16. EightRooks

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    Nope, I have no option to unlock further ship types at all, so there's obviously some condition to get them.

17. xjaff

xjaff Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    Yes there probably is a condition to unlock them but I am sorry I don't know what it is. I played a few games right off the bat without even looking in the upgrade settings screens. The first time I opened common custom the option to buy types A and B were there for 100 coins each, so I must have unlocked them by meeting some condition in my first few runs. I then went and did a few more runs and saved coins to buy those two. Now looking at that screen I see the next two types have appeared, I think those may have appeared simply by buying types B and C but I can't be certain.

18. pentarou

pentarou Active Member

Mar 18, 2012
    #38 pentarou, Dec 17, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
    Been awhile since I've popped onto the forums here but it's always good see a new Cave phone game :)

I don't have much unlocked yet but here's what I can see:

FIGHTER CUSTOM
    連射速度を早くする - Rapidfire speed up
    アイテム回収範囲を広げる - Increase area to autocollect items
    弾封じ範囲を広げる - Increase effect of blocking enemy shots (presumably when killing large enemies?)

SHOT CUSTOM
    メインショットを強化 - Power up main shot
    メインショットを速くする - Speed up main shot
    メインショットを増やす - Increase quantity of shots fired with main shot
    オプションショットを強化 - Power up option shot
    オプションショットを速くする - Speed up option shot
    オプションショットをを増やす - Increase quantity of shots fired with option shot

BOMB CUSTOM
    オートボムを有効にする - Enable autobomb
    オートシールドを有効にする - Enable autoshield
    ボムストック数を増やす - Increase bomb stocks
    ボムの飛距離をのばす - Increase distance bombs are launched
    ボムの有効時間をのばす - Increase bomb effect duration

COMMON CUSTOM
    AIの2pを召喚できる - Summon AI 2nd player
    ??? - Unknown (see later posts in thread, I don't have this yet)
    ゲージタイプを選択できる - Enable selecting gauge type in Options menu
    Type-B(光)を選択できる - Enables Hikari (Type-B) as player ship
    Type-C(真璃亜)を選択できる - Enables Maria (Type-C) as player ship

If anyone can shed some light on that last item that would be great. Also, I don't see options to unlock other ships yet so I probably need to be better at this game :confused:

Edit - Completing Stage 1-2 unlocked Type-B, unlocking Type-B opened up Type-C and the AI assistant (for another 100 coins .... sigh)

19. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    Thank you so much for the translation and yeah I have no clue how to unlock additional ships.

20. 9x16

9x16 Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    EST/EDT
    Wow, I didn't realize TA Forum accommodates Japanese text. Anyhow, if you go into the Options menu, below Twitter and then Speed (movement sensitivity that itself is normally hidden), you can select your Gauge (%) type. Not a big change, and one I didn't care for. Probably why it's so cheap.