Does my game worth spending $40,000 for Ad?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by REANIX, Mar 9, 2010.

1. MexicanJesus

MexicanJesus Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    I think the problem is the word themselves, not the quanity you chose to use. For example, this sentence in your last post:

"I think most people don't want to read too much words."

could be

"I think most people don't want to read too many words."
    or, since you like them short:
    "I don't think people want to read too many words."

2. abruce42

abruce42 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    OR spend like 600 dollars for freeappaday, get rocketed straight to th top of free games.

3. Grumps

Grumps Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Feb 2, 2009
    iOS Game Developer
    That is not what I meant. I'm actually referring to higher budget projects such as Rayman, Plants Vs Zombies. Well if you really do wish to run a successful ad campaign just PM/email me. I'll guide you through with my experience.

4. mehware

mehware Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2008
    or even better since your game is OpenFeint go to http://freegameoftheday.com/ and try to be a part of their promo. It made our app Lockdown when switched to free in the top 8 in its category.

Ok give me your monies now for my advice.

5. doodlejumper

doodlejumper Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    What you should do is skip admob completely and just go to professional websites. $40,000 will get you advertisement for a week at touchArcade, SlideToPlay, AppModo, AppGamer, and more. All of those sites running the same ad at once for such a long time will generate a lot of attention and will get you a lot of sales.

6. Mondae

Mondae Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Perv, why do you care?
    Will go in advertise In sig for 15 dollar iTunes card for too months. I made same offer on other page. I joined late February that's why my post counts low. I DO POST REGURALARY!!!!!!

7. goldglover411

goldglover411 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2009
    ipod touch game reviewer
    USA
    #27 goldglover411, Mar 10, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
    if i were you....id take his 40,000 and use it to develop a whole new application and cut him in on some of the profits. If he is willing to give you 40000 just to put into advertising, then he has to have some cash on his hands

i think that it would be a waste of 40,000 to spend it on advertising. In order to make that back, you would need to sell 57,720.0577 :)p) copies of your game just to break even. Unless you see advertising generating that much sales, then i wouldnt do it

i suggested on the other thread to hire kids like me for $15 or $25 per month in itunes cards just to post on forums like these and write reviews on sites. It would be more cost effective....like making baseballs in Haiti

desperate for itunes money much....i suggest getting a job as a bagger at a grocery store (though i dont know how much minimum wage is in perv why do you care), however if that is in the US you can make $15 in 2 hours of shopping compared to like 10 hours spent promoting an app

8. Mondae

Mondae Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Perv, why do you care?
    I would post on here any who's. And I lost my summer job and no supermarket:(

9. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

Fixed it for you. ;)

10. Nitzan

Nitzan Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Has anyone here actually had success with AdMob?

I mean sure, I have heard stories of games getting to the top lists for a day or two purely from AdMob advertising, but based on my experience I seriously doubt those stories are true.

With my previous game I experimented with AdMob a bit, my experience was less than 1% conversion for the FREE version. Paid version was in the 0.1% range.

$40,000... assuming you can spend it in one day, at a cost of $0.04 per click (used to be the AdMob minimum, no idea what it is now), multiplied by 1% conversion rate... would only be 10,000 downloads. That's assuming you can spend all that money in one day.

11. REANIX

REANIX Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Thanks for your information.
    1% conversion for the FREE version, It seems too low. That's mean 100 clicks, just one install?

May I ask you how much money you spent and which game?

12. Nitzan

Nitzan Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Sure, the game was Tatomic and I tried it twice, once for the paid version (at the time Tatomic was $0.99) and once for the free lite version.

I spent $50 each time and set the cost per click at $0.04. I got 1250 clicks in a matter of a few hours.

Compared with the average downloads, I got roughly ~18 additional downloads for the free version, and 6 for the paid.

So 1.44% conversion for free, 0.48% for paid.

I have never heard anyone who has actually tried admob themselves say it was worth the money.

13. frendil

frendil Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2009
    New Zealand!!
    yea game doesn't interest me and I dont think that it would interest people in mainstream gaming, so probably not worth $40 000

14. Spotlight

Spotlight Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Let me tell you one thing:

you won't reach the number 1 position in the ranking of the free apps even if you spend 1 million dollars.

The reason is because your game doesn't have that big potential.

Egyptians are boring. It's a very niche topic and you can't buy the #1 position of the ranking, but you have to deserve it.

For sure advertising helps a bit, but this app doesn't have any chance.

Save $30.000 and develop a better game. Really.

15. Spotlight

Jan 10, 2009
    Statistics related to advertising are pretty useless.
    You should analyse them based on the potential and type of your application.

If Doodle Jumps requires $1000 to reach the number 1 position of the ranking, then you'll need about 2 millions dollars and advertisee the game on TV, magazines, websites etc.

If you cover all the media of the world, then you have some chances to reach the #1, but at the same time you'll lose a lot of money.

From my point of view, whatever you do it's a loss of money.

Spend $30.000 for developing a better game, not about egyptians but something nicer that the people might like.

16. REANIX

REANIX Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Hey, Spotlight

Thanks for your viewpoint. I have a question, if the game is not about the Egypt, just think about the gameplay. What do you think?

As you know , the 26 in One now is the Top, what do you think about this?
    How about the game LineUp, why did it success? Thanks if yo have answers.

As so far, I think the best way to do this is to find a PR company and let them to do a research.

Thanks again for your honest.

17. Spotlight

Jan 10, 2009
    I think it is better to be 100% honest for this kind of opinions.

If the game wouldn't be about Egypt, I think I would like it more (or less?).

What I don't like the most about your game that it is so Egyptian-like, and I'm tired of Egypt, but also it's a tetris game and I feel like we don't need any more tetris.

I feel the key of the success is creating something new, even if it might be hard, or making a better version of an already existing game.

Doodle Jump improved Papi Jump, for example.

I don't feel you're going to improve Tetris even if you dedicate a life to this game.

I don't know. I would invest those money in finding a good designer who can create a user friendly, simple and cute interface + graphics, then it's all about the game idea.

The idea must be new, but not complicated.

People are loving simple games, very immediate and cute (fligh control, doodle jump, pocket god).

Of course this is just my opinion.
    At this moment I wouldn't get another Tetris even if it's good and for free.

18. REANIX

REANIX Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Thanks.
    I just wanna say it's a Match3 and a physics game too. It's Revolutionary of
    Tetris, match3.
    I think your view is very especial. I will remember it, no more tetris no more Egypt theme.

19. REANIX

REANIX Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Thanks for this information, some people just like you spent $50, and they said it's not worth.
    I just think if the money is not enough or some other reason.

20. Spotlight

Jan 10, 2009
    Also I don't like a game that is too many things at the same time.
    Tetris, Match3, Physics is too much, from my point of view.
    I prefer to buy a game that plays a single thing, but good.

As long as I know, there are not so many big titles that include various type of gameplay. If you notice, most of the successful games (even the ones for free) are focused on something and get straight to the point.

By the way, don't take my words too seriously. :)
    It's just the opinion of a single, potential, buyer.
    I'd wait for other complaints before to decide "no more Egypt". :)

Good luck with everything!!!

Sorry for my English. I'm not a native speaker.