iPhone Dominion (By Making Fun, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by strivemind, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Reaganomics

Reaganomics Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    I've always assumed it's for collecting data on players on a continual basis. Again, another strategy on tailoring a game for players in the hopes of squeezing for more cash from them.

2. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

If you are still frequenting this forum, I'm not saying you are wrong. Of course I'm not. Of course it would be better if it was just this pack = this much money.

I've no idea why they would do it this way either. Of course it seems like a crazy bad decision to muddy the water but it is what it is. If the packs are restorable on another device then I don't really have a problem with it even if it's not the way I would prefer it to be.

Does anyone know about this yet?

3. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    Lots of things bad here.

I hate that it's a constant connection required since that means if the company go bust their servers go away and their game (and our purchases) go with them.

Great game, looks nicely done but they're just taking the piss here and my piss is not so easily acquired!

4. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Realllly-the tutorial?

Teach me how to play...then I'll decide before my personal info is harnessed.

5. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Also-the interface is crap, it's non-retina...the old unofficial Dominions app that was pulled was more polished and required 1 billionth the storage space.

It would also be helpful to explain what the benefits are of registering. Apparently playing is one of them.

6. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    The expansion packs I bought months ago when I got the Humble Bundle are all there when I log in to my game account. I don't remember what I paid for them but it was probably close to what they are now. I just don't like playing games on my laptop so I am glad this is out on mobile. It has not locked up for me yet but that could be because I'm logged in to my game account.

7. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply.
    So unlocking packs in the app sounds like it's storing that purchase on an account separate from Apple, so it's accessible cross-platform, in which case I get why they use the in-game currency to unlock content instead of direct IAP. And we won't need to restore purchase from apples end, if we can log in to the Dominion game account.

Still, it doesn't stop them going belly up but doesn't seem as bad as people here are fearing (IMHO).

- correct me if I'm barking up the wrong tree.

8. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    #28 PBSNellie, Dec 1, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
    Not only is is cross platform but I was able to play the game on my IPAD Puffin browser, not the ideal way to play but still...I purchased 3 packs in the beginning, there are over 200 levels between those and the base game, so I think by the time I'm finished I will know if I want to invest more. Maybe by then their purchase model will be more friendly! I haven't played it in awhile but from what I can tell so far, it works pretty well on my IPAD. I checked their forums and they've been pretty active for a few years. The one I'm bummed about is Scrolls. Mojang gave that one up and it's supposed to be inactive next summer. Some of the players are trying to get them to keep a server going so they can still play.

9. Unfrozen

Unfrozen Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 11, 2011
    Canada
    I'm not going to bother reading past the first line of your post.

Advocating brutal physical punishment because you don't like something to do with a game is pretty out there. Try going for a walk, you sound unbalanced.

10. leminem

leminem New Member

Dec 2, 2015
    well, also dissapointed, but not so bad, because there is a lot for free, but bad AI is also a no go for me..
    hardly waiting for this one: https://twitter.com/WLueger http://vempiregame.com
    coming 2016, no free to play, it will be fixed priced - no adds no in-app purchase!
    got the chance and played an alpha in the browser - a stunning game...

11. Dragan

Dragan Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Belgium
    Looks promising and I hope people resist the urge to spend money on this free to play rip off. Thanks for the post that cures the frustration.

12. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    You are correct on that and I was certainly joking when I said it. I would not harm a fly. Anyways I was wrong to jump on this game like I did. the more I dug into it and all I can see I was being a bit jaded so I apologize if I gave someone a bad impression based on my very early reaction. We all do dumb stuff or open our mouths when we shouldn't. Hope you at least read past first line of this post :)

13. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #33 LordGek, Dec 2, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
    Sure, they're both card games and share some basic trading card game like mechanics, but something that makes this unique is that it is a deck building game. Unlike Hearthstone where you and your opponent start the game with your own pre-made decks from your private collections, you will both start games in Dominion with the same very anemic 10 card decks, and as you play the game, will build it up to a more and more powerful deck by buying community cards as you play. You then start from scratch again on the next game, so there is no collecting in between games involved.

14. Pagan Fox

Pagan Fox Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2012
    So to summarise....
    After reading four pages of torment I shall back away slowly from this thread and thank my lucky stars that I didn't download this game.

15. @DE_Clements

@DE_Clements Active Member

Dec 7, 2013
    I don't have a problem with FREE Apps that are like "demos" or "lite" versions where you use an IAP to purchase the FULL VERSION. Or, reasonable IAPs, as the game App grows and gets added content. Supporting developers (especially one-man crews and the indies), yes please! We all need to earn a living and if they've got a good game and are fair, then sure; Like it, Purchase it. Besides, most developers continue to refine the game and add extra content for free. To me, this can be occasionally unfair to the developer(s); yet it depends on the individual app and the circumstances. But this RAW deal here with the Dominion App, completely unacceptable and pure greed in my opinion. And it is therefore why I mostly agree with following prior post. And on-line only for this App!?!? ##

So, PASS!!! Check Please! ... I'm not even going to download it and try it, if that is what I have to contend with if I really like it. Not worth the risk!#

16. @DE_Clements

@DE_Clements Active Member

Dec 7, 2013
    #36 @DE_Clements, Dec 2, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
    Awesome input and response! I mean it, hilarious; good one!#

17. SimonMagus

SimonMagus Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2015
    This is the first intelligent thing you have said all day.. Kudos.

18. doctorfedora

doctorfedora Member

Mar 23, 2010
    I take Japanese text and make it English text, for
    Kyoto
    I justÂ… wow. It sure would be neat to be able to finish a whole game without it crashing. Not encouraging, and perhaps now I suppose it's clear enough why it spent so much time in App Store review. Gotta admire the sheer boldness of pricing the DLC expansions like they're physical cards, though.

On the other hand, Puzzle Strike (another deckbuilder I hugely prefer for all sorts of reasons, like starting decks that contain ACTIONS AT ALL) is coming to the App Store very soon, and if it's anything like the free-ish browser version and/or the iOS version of Yomi (by the same maker), it's gonna be leaps and bounds more playable than this. REALLY looking forward to that one.

19. Archkeo

Archkeo Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Start playing Dominion .... Few minutes later.... Stop playing Dominion ( crash twice, adds... ) don't wanna know what's next. It's SAD. They just stoled the treasure.

20. cofunguy

cofunguy Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    Don't worry you only missed the worlds stupidity AI in challenge stages that buys anything that it can. 5 games and not one time did it buy a province. Gee, really? Plus the IAP..lets pull the wool over everyone's eyes. Thanks for buying the board game and the various expansions. Can you fork over another $90 to play in the digital world those same expansions??