Doodle Bomb : Puzzles, Ragdolls, Explosions and More!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by matt.johnson.mobile, Oct 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Should all Doodle Bomb missions (levels) be unlocked to play from the start?

1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    34.1%
  2. No

29 vote(s)
    65.9%
  1. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Interesting game. What other elements would there be in the game? Anything else available to throw?

2. teggy

teggy Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2009
    usually, i like games with good graphics...but lately, several games have popped up with good graphics but substance is so-so.

doodle bomb has simple graphics but man, looks like this is turning out nice and challenging to play...can't wait till it's out...and hopefully, simple graphics = less footprint ( memory-wise ) ?

3. matt.johnson.mobile

matt.johnson.mobile Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Game Developer
    Murphy, TX
    Hey Prab...

The design started off with four different types of "grenades" that would have different purposes/effects. We have had discussion about adding a new type each time a new zone is released... but are thinking the simplicity of mechanics/purpose has been a big success factor in what we have seen on the store. Clever levels are our focus right now, but other bomb types have been planned and could sneak their way in :).

We will also have a patrolling soldier that is fully rigged for ragdoll physics. You have to time throws when he isn't looking or "dispose" of him so he doesn't shoot your bomb out of the air.

There will be other traps, destructable items, crates with explosives/bonus points, rats you can bounce grenades off of and more in the first release!

Thoughts?

4. Weebler

Weebler Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Ooh, the soldier sounds cool. :)

5. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    This actually looks really good! :)

6. silent genius

silent genius Well-Known Member

Physics puzzler + throwing bombs? Sold!

This looks super fun especially after you mentioned avoiding soldier, traps, destructible objects and such.

Looking forward to it! :)

7. iTouchaddict

iTouchaddict Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    I love playing iblast moki right now

8. The_Running_Man

The_Running_Man Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    This looks really cool. The art looks great. Good luck with the development on it and keep us posted.:) This game is definitely on my radar now.

9. skyye06

skyye06 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    #29 skyye06, Oct 31, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
    Definitely looks good Matt.

I am a bit confused though...the goal was to open the door which you did but you were able to keep on throwing bombs after instead of a congratulatins screen appearing. Is it supposed to be like that?

Well looking forward to see more gameplay vids and hope it does well for you.:)

On variety what about different kinds of bombs such as lingering ones, ones you set off with another click, wider explosive range, and tiny bombs. Also a bit out there but what about perks such as being able to throw 2 bombs at once :p

10. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Well.. my thoughts are: its a great idea for a game and you seem to have a lot of ideas for game elements. But i cant really imagine how it can all fall in place to form interesting (difficult?) level designs. It would be great if you show us a screen of one particular moderately difficult level so that we can have a feel of what the puzzles will be like (I love puzzle games :D).

11. matt.johnson.mobile

Jun 6, 2009
    Game Developer
    Murphy, TX
    Ya... this is just a Alpha stage example of game play. I will be putting in transitions from level to level next week. In the real game when you trigger the door control, it will swing open and the hero will poke his head in and congratulate you. The scene will then fade into the next level. Once you trigger the door and end the level, the throwing mechanic will be shut down until the next level begins.

12. matt.johnson.mobile

Jun 6, 2009
    Game Developer
    Murphy, TX
    Thanks! I have some crude pencils at this point, and I will be building out 1 - 10 next week and will post some production pics. I'm looking at the challenge factor in this game as two-tiered. Even though you might recognize the "solution" to the puzzle right off, you still have to exercise some skill in placing/timing bombs to make it happen.

Later levels will have triggers that have to be hit at the same time... so multitouch comes into play. The distance you tap is from the hero determines the bombs velocity, so you can imagine it will get tricky if you have to time a hurl between two bombs to reach destinations at different distances at the same time.

13. matt.johnson.mobile

Jun 6, 2009
    Game Developer
    Murphy, TX
    I can't imagine this game giving you any memory issues :), thanks for the positive comments.

MJ

14. matt.johnson.mobile

Jun 6, 2009
    Game Developer
    Murphy, TX
    We are shooting for early December.

15. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Awesome! Good luck with the development! December is just around the corner :p

Do remember to tease us with more screens ore videos. Maybe one where you need some skill to execute the solution as you mentioned :)

16. matt.johnson.mobile

Jun 6, 2009
    Game Developer
    Murphy, TX
    Yes... but if I squint my eyes real tight, I can go back one day! Thanks... I will post updates regularly.

Matt

17. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator

Jul 30, 2009
    This looks like an awesome undertaking! Great job Matt and looking forward to more teasers and hopefully soon a countdown to release!

18. matt.johnson.mobile

Jun 6, 2009
    Game Developer
    Murphy, TX
    Happy Halloween Everyone...

[​IMG]

--> Picture of a 217 pound pumpkin my son won in a raffle at school, we carved it today (sitting next to an "average" size pumpkin).

Happy Halloween all, have a safe and fun evening!

Matt

19. matt.johnson.mobile

Jun 6, 2009
    Game Developer
    Murphy, TX
    Thanks, it has been a great deal of fun so far!

Matt

20. Nascor

Nascor Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    #40 Nascor, Oct 31, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
    The game is really looking like a lot of fun!
    I would like to see some screens of "harder" levels, too!

Edit: haha, just saw the pumpkin, nice one! What did you do with the pumpkin seeds?