Doodle Bomb : Puzzles, Ragdolls, Explosions and More!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by matt.johnson.mobile, Oct 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Should all Doodle Bomb missions (levels) be unlocked to play from the start?

1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    34.1%
  2. No

29 vote(s)
    65.9%
  1. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    This looks challenging and fun. Looking forward to it!

2. pharmx

pharmx Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Looks great! I wonder how devious some of the later levels will get! :p

3. xFinch713x

xFinch713x Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    The game looks good, but, I don't really get how to play. That's probably because I didn't read much :eek: Heh, sorry. But nice to see you back in action ;)

4. matt.johnson.mobile

matt.johnson.mobile Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Game Developer
    Murphy, TX
    My son planted a few of them... but most we threw out.

5. Fudgeboy

Fudgeboy Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Student
    UK
    this game looks like a lot of fun, look forward to it!

6. matt.johnson.mobile

Jun 6, 2009
    Game Developer
    Murphy, TX
    I probably didn't explain the mechanics well enough ;).

Tap anywhere on the screen (except the forthcoming pause button) and a bomb will be thrown from the hole that the hero is sticking his head out of.

The velocity of the bomb is based on how far your tap is from the hole (tap far away from the hole to increase the strength of the throw). The bomb will follow the angle of where you tap.

Your goal is to find a way to open the door to the next level. You are scored on how many tries (bombs) it takes you to accomplish this. You get bonus points for accomplishing this under a specific "target score" for each level.

Most puzzles will be a combination of skill / timing / order of triggering events.

Hope this helps!

Matt

7. matt.johnson.mobile

Jun 6, 2009
    Game Developer
    Murphy, TX
    Thanks!

8. matt.johnson.mobile

Jun 6, 2009
    Game Developer
    Murphy, TX
    Very devious... mu hahahhah :)

9. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Hey Matt,
    it's been a while since I've been on the board. After reading all the comments and looking at the video, I think you will have yourself another winner. ( I am hoping/ assuming that Prairie Chute is doing well / ok). I'm not sure about te rats, but those should be an interesting element. The soldier should be intersting as well. I will be curious to see what types of grenades you come up with. Will some only work with certain locks or will they have properties that will allow one to get through some of the puzzle elements.

The only downside I see is there will probably not be a jammin harmonica sound track. Will this one have a music sound track or mostly just effects?

All the best.

10. matt.johnson.mobile

Jun 6, 2009
    Game Developer
    Murphy, TX
    Hey Pluto hope you are doing well... thanks for the comments. The thought for version 1.0 is to keep the engagement simple on the weapon side and allow you to time / position the bombs in complex ways to unlock machines / disable enemies that get you to the next level in the most efficient way.

I have music slated for next week, sorry the blues is out for this game :), but I'm sure we will find something thematically fitting!

MJ

11. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Looks like a really fun game. I love these physics styled games... and with bombs! that always makes things interesting. Sucks that it wont be available until December though.

12. matt.johnson.mobile

Jun 6, 2009
    Game Developer
    Murphy, TX
    Thanks freedog... its coming together nicely, December will be here before you know it :D

13. Frog

Frog Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    #53 Frog, Nov 4, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
    I saw your PM and react now. I think this game looks really nice. The graphics are good and the game is in one style, which I like. I love this kind of game, if they are made well and I think this game is made well. The only downside I see in the video is the fact that bombs don't trigger each other. That will improve this game, I think. I've subscribed to this thread and I hope I'll hear more soon.

Btw, what'll be the price?

14. matt.johnson.mobile

Jun 6, 2009
    Game Developer
    Murphy, TX
    Thanks Frog. We are still determining a price. The video is an early alpha... chaining explosions is being discussed, but we also really like the way it throws the bomb around the screen to hit other objects, so we will have to be creative there :).

15. Frog

Frog Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    I hope you will change it, but you'll have to decide. I trust it will be a good game, whatever you choose. :)

16. matt.johnson.mobile

Jun 6, 2009
    Game Developer
    Murphy, TX
    Did some tests on this... and with the calculations necessary for tracking the shrapnel from the bombs, the collision detections on the sphere of influence from the bomb and forces applied from the explosion... exploding multiple bombs at once becomes an issue when the players spam bombs, which they will :)... its fun!

That being said, I think some of the improvements we made last week will satisfy the people hungry for a challenge. Instead of controls being triggered on impact, you must find a way to fire and rest a bomb close to the control so the blast initiates it. Missed bombs exploding in different areas push perfectly placed bombs away, so it will require good timing, precise placement of the crosshair and clever positioning. We have created a number of new devices for the user to discover creative ways to make this happen.

I will be posting a new video and a couple of higher level sketches next week for feedback... and a more detail description of the scoring system.

Cheers,
    Matt

17. nazara_tech

nazara_tech Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2009
    project manage
    India
    Looks impressive !!

18. Mr. Crazy

Mr. Crazy Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2009
    England
    Hmmmmmmmmm, looks awesome!!!!

19. Frog

Frog Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    I'm glad you listened. I'm looking forward to the release.

20. matt.johnson.mobile

Jun 6, 2009
    Game Developer
    Murphy, TX
    Hello all...

We have been hard at work cranking out exciting missions for the upcoming release of Doodle Bomb! The video at the top of the thread shows new missions, enemies, mechanicals, etc. Take a look and let us know what you think. I will be posting screenshots and information about the scoring system shortly. Doodle On!

Matt