Doodle Bomb : Puzzles, Ragdolls, Explosions and More!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by matt.johnson.mobile, Oct 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Should all Doodle Bomb missions (levels) be unlocked to play from the start?

1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    34.1%
  2. No

29 vote(s)
    65.9%
  1. matt.johnson.mobile

matt.johnson.mobile Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Game Developer
    Murphy, TX
    NEW SCREENSHOTS! 34 LEVELS COMPLETE NOW!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Nascor

Nascor Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    looks nice!

3. Mr. Crazy

Mr. Crazy Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2009
    England
    Cool!!!

Looking at the least page am i the only one still interested in this game?

Edit: Somebody posted above me. Someone else is interested :D!

4. Nascor

Nascor Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Yes he is :D

5. matt.johnson.mobile

Jun 6, 2009
    Game Developer
    Murphy, TX
    Thanks guys! I get several PMs with people asking questions, wanting to test and review. I think there is a growing interest in the game, it just hasn't come to full steam yet ;).

Production is going very well, and the plan is to be in beta by the end of next week where early reviewers and testers will get advance copies to give their feedback.

We still have 3 or 4 "Basic Training" videos to post and the official trailer when release is closer. Any suggestions in terms of getting the word out would always be appreciated as well!

6. Mr. Crazy

Sep 15, 2009
    England
    Nice to see that you will be going into the beta stage and it will be closer to it hits the app store.

7. Nascor

Nascor Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Does "getting the word out" mean, to promote it? :/

8. matt.johnson.mobile

Jun 6, 2009
    Game Developer
    Murphy, TX
    New poll on thread

Hey all,

Would like some feedback on the scoring system we are setting up for the game. Our plan right now is to have all missions (levels) of the game unlocked from the start. You can play any mission at any time, and each mission is scored independently based on the number of bomb throws you attempt. Each mission will have a goal number... if your score = the goal you earn the silver star achievement for that level. If your score < the goal you earn the Bomb Master Badge for that level.

The main menu has a graphical element called the "Bomb Badge" when you start a new game the badge is just an outline. Every 5 missions that you earn a Silver Star or Bomb Master on you will earn a piece to the badge (10 pieces in all to fill in).

This system will allow player to hop around and experience different levels at their whim, but keeps it so the loyal ones have to achieve the goal in every mission to earn the top prize (a completed Bomb Badge)!

The poll question asks if you would rather have this freedom to play any mission at any time, or have to complete a certain number of missions to open up a new "block" of missions.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thanks,
    Matt

9. Nascor

Nascor Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    I've voted for no, because you wouldn't have something that makes you play longer and longer, just to get the next levels unlocked, also it would be a bit confusing, I think...

10. spidey146

spidey146 Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    wow, this makes prairie jump look like nothing (no offence ;))

i voted no on the poll cause even though i usually like skipping something if i dont get it (look at my school work :p) it takes away fun

11. Mr. Crazy

Sep 15, 2009
    England
    I voted no but there should be something where if you are stuck you can skip up to 2 levels.

12. Nascor

Nascor Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Haha, +1

13. matt.johnson.mobile

Jun 6, 2009
    Game Developer
    Murphy, TX
    Sure... we have some marketing plans and have been contacted by a few review sites for early builds so they can be ready with reviews when the game launches. We are also talking to several top sites about advertising around that time.

14. Nascor

Nascor Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    so, make a twitter account and a website (and if you have them) link them in your signature!
    :)
    I are the first and important things to do :D

15. matt.johnson.mobile

Jun 6, 2009
    Game Developer
    Murphy, TX
    @all

Interesting comments. The challenge would still remain to earn the completed "Bomb Badge"... you can just choose to do it in any way you want... i.e. all hard levels then go back and get the medium and easy.

Since each mission holds its own score, the real measure of competition (IMO) is how many missions you can achieve goal or better on... but I agree that takes away the "What's behind door #2" anticipation factor.

What if there are some number of missions that are locked until you earn the full Bomb Badge, so the elite players are the only ones who have access to them?

MJ

16. matt.johnson.mobile

Jun 6, 2009
    Game Developer
    Murphy, TX
    Good point, I have been so busy building, that I haven't added that to my signature. Thanks for the heads up!

17. Nascor

Nascor Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Yes, that sounds good!

18. matt.johnson.mobile

Jun 6, 2009
    Game Developer
    Murphy, TX
    Ok, so if there are 50 missions planned for 1.0... there would be 40 that you can play in any order you like (there is a mission selector on the main menu with thumbnail pics, mission rankings an best scores)... once you get "goal" or better on those 40 you have access to 10 really hard missions... Or something similar to this?

19. Mr. Crazy

Sep 15, 2009
    England
    Yea, sounds awesome. Do you have a dev twitter?

20. matt.johnson.mobile

Jun 6, 2009
    Game Developer
    Murphy, TX