Doom Resurrection dropped to $2.99 until Sunday (8/16)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by jasonsmith, Aug 13, 2009.

1. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    This ISN'T any doom you're going to find somewhere free to play. This game has as much in common with classic DOOM as the original Space Invaders has to do with Infinity Gene, i.e. very little. It's an iDevice specific title you will find NOWHERE else.

2. diffusion8r

diffusion8r Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    Actually, we got Uncharted free with our PS3, COD4's my brothers, COD5 is my dads and Black I got in a bargain Bin for £1 ($1.99?)

3. diffusion8r

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    OK, I'll tell you what's holding me back. The controls. Are they tilt controls? Do they work well?

I know this is probably a really stupid question, but anyway, can someone just compare this to one of the best £1.79/$2.99 games currently out and prove to me how much better it is?

I actually really want to get this but something in the back of my mind is stopping me.

4. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    The controls are just like everything else in this game...stellar. If you think you want this, then you do. Look, you don't know me from a hole in the ground, but even at 10 bucks I can remember post after post of people saying, "I really didn't expect this to be as good as it is, but WOW!", and I have a feeling that if you buy it, within the hour you'll be back saying something very similar, and you'll be 7 dollars richer than the others who said it. EDIT: They are tilt controls for the aiming, and it's the best implementation of tilt aim I've come across. For other things (picking up health and ammo packs, firing, etc.) you touch the screen.

5. diffusion8r

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    Thanks, I am going to buy it but first want to know - what's the closest game to Doom that has a lite version I can try out?

THat made me think, HOTD for iPhone...:)

6. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    Man, that's a tough one, but probably Time Crisis Strike Lite. Just know that D:R is a LOT better than that. You can at least get a feel for on rails shooter on the device though.

7. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    +1 Time Crisis

Imagine Time Crisis with a bit more story, and instead of tapping to shoot, you tap on objects to pick them up and tilt a little bit to move your crosshair/look around a little bit. The four corners of the screen (clockwise from 1:30) are: Reload / Fire / Dodge / Change Weapon.

You don't have to tilt that much to move the crosshair, think of it like holding a pistol at arms length and tilting your arm up/down/left/right.

There are parts of the game where the Dodge button becomes a "duck behind cover" button very much like Time Crisis.

When someone balked at iD's comments about adding multiplayer to this game I had to say go play Time Crisis 2 or 3 with two players, it works great and is a lot of fun...

Anybody else notice that the game also auto-orients depending on how you hold the device? Nice. You can even reverse the up/down tilt controls.

It is very possible to not like this game, but I still have to say it's very well thought out and made. I would never have paid $10 for it, but would have started thinking about it at $5, and snapped it up pretty quickly for $3 ;)

8. diffusion8r

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    Thanks guys. I just am expecting Rolando 2 to go down in the next few days and that'll make my spending grow, and WORMS I like a lot.

This isn't anything to do with changing my standing on whether I buy or not, but how would this game stand against other really big games like the aformentioned Rolando 2 and Real Racing?

9. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    I didn't think much of Rolando 1. I went ahead and got R2, and liked it better, but still am not blown away by it. I know a lot of people are though. Real Racing is fantastic and worth every penny. I would never tell someone NOT to buy Real Racing. What's tough is that you would have a hard time picking three more different games than Rolando 2, Real Racing, and Doom Resurrection. But that's kind of a good thing. You have varied tastes. The good news is they're all good. I would personally choose R2 last of all of those.

10. diffusion8r

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    Cool. I would say Defender Chronicles/BeatRider but they're for certain tastes. And geoDefense: Swarm will be ultimate on the app store when it's out. Seriously, I'd buy it over any app as the first was a masterpiece...but again, TD games can get tedious if they don't have a cool feature about them.

11. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Updated Version is now OUT

Now version 1.1

Whats new - Brandnew Game mode - Challenge Mode, with 40 unique challenges. All new Bonus Map.

Enjoy!