Doom Resurrection Pricing Discussion

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by florbastang, Jun 30, 2009.

1. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    You must be new to this thread? This has been rehashed.

You contradict yourself though. On the one hand you say that an on-rails shooter should be cheaper because it's "easier to program", and then you say that customers shouldn't need to care about the production costs. You can't have it both ways.

Anyhow... I agree that a crappy game isn't worth $9.99. Fortunately, this is a very good game. :)

arn

2. Benegesserit

Benegesserit Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    There are plenty of very good games that don't cost $10. Tired of IP overpriced BS.

3. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

I'm not contradicting myself as I think that rail shooters should be cheaper to make, due to the fact there's no need to create an entire environment for movement and exploration; but that is only my opinion and I have no experience in game design and programming. However after reading some comments of your review, they are suggesting the game is expensive due to cost and effort. If that is the case then I suggest that cost should not affect pricing, only quality should affect it.
    Yes I didn't read too many posts in this thread, I only read comments of your review.

4. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    I don't understand why people would whine about the price. If it is not for you now, give it a pass or wait for a drop. :D The good thing about App Store right now, say...

Anyway, I am giving this a pass and wait for the "real" Doom instead. Domm 3 gives me particular good memories where everything is so dark but still so slow...

5. f e a r l e s s

f e a r l e s s Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    #45 f e a r l e s s, Jun 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2009

So, what you are trying to say is that we're not entitled to our opinions? You use the words "personally" and "opinion" in your post, how about you google the meaning of them! :D

6. Which was my point: You aren't a developer and therefore have absolutely no clue A) how the industry works in the real world, or B) what it really takes to design a game in the real world. My comment was an oblique way of saying, "put up or shut up."

You mean like every other platform in existence where people occasionally play games casually?

So how well did you score in your marketing and demographic classes, anyway?

This is what the "Did someone get told?" flowchart was made for.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

1) The environment is still there. The only thing missing are areas that are not important to the gameplay.

2) Scripting the entire freakin' game takes more work than putting in movement controls and letting the user have free reign -- and that is all that separates this from a proper FPS.

Yeah... there seems to be a whole lotta rationalization going on here.

7. spvn

spvn Active Member

May 30, 2009
    Argh

HAHAHA.

First, I hate it when people keep complaining about how 9.99 is too expensive for an iPhone game. Everyone has been spoilt by indie devs on the App store pricing their stuff at $0.99. There're definitely some gems out there, but I dare you to contradict me when I say the vast majority of them are just. Complete. Utter. Crap. Like Carmack said, if we want premium games on the iPhone, we gotta start supporting the bigger players who want to earn a decent profit margin out of the stuff they develop.

Second, what kind of WEIRD theory would state that just because they use assets from Doom 3, it should be a cheaper game?! And by "assets", what are you referring to besides the music, atmosphere and type of guns? Because EVERYTHING in this game was developed from ground up. You can't simply "port" all the assets over from a full fledged game and expect it to work on an iPhone...

This thread really makes my blood boil...

8. J.R. Jalapeno

J.R. Jalapeno Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2008
    #48 J.R. Jalapeno, Jun 30, 2009
    Everyone's entitled to their opinion. some are gonna love it and some arent, which is cool. i personally love rail shooters. playing HOTD Overkill right now too which is awesome as well. I remember a game that came out for the original xbox, circus maximus and it is still probably in my top 5 games of all time and the reviews for it ranged from 5-6. to each their own, cant please everyone. people were expecting a traditional FPS and got a rail shooter. Kinda like going on a blind date where you see a pic of the girl from the neck up and she looks sweet, only to show up with a mess on your hands :)

9. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

I just restarted my iPhone today. Additionally I have restarted 5 times by now during the few days it started lagging, and it did not help.
    Maybe syncing in iTunes is installing something I do not want, thus forcing me to upgrade to 3.0 lol.

10. florbastang

florbastang Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2009
    #50 florbastang, Jun 30, 2009
    No, it's because only the diehard, drooling fanboys have bothered to pick this up. They'd give the game a perfect score if the game cut from the title screen to a video of John Carmack dancing around and laughing while counting his money.

When people start getting duped into buying this game thinking it's something more than a glorified tech demo of the graphical capabilities of the iPhone, we'll start seeing tons of negative reviews. Just keep your eyes on the App Store ratings...

Seriously, one thing that I see over and over again in this thread and in reviews elsewhere is the drooling over the presentation (i.e., graphics, sound, etc.) of the game, while some (e.g., IGN) note that it is very basic, simple with very low replayability/game length. The game is literally nothing but a glorified tech demo. Hell, it's half way to being simply a movie, since it's on-rails. So go head: pay $10 for a tech demo. I'll save my money for a full game that will have me playing for weeks and months before I finish it.

11. florbastang

Apr 22, 2009
    Two, maybe three hours, if you suck. It's just packed with content and longevity. /End sarcasm

12. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

That's short :(. I'll wait for a sale

13. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Have you played the game?

14. florbastang

Apr 22, 2009
    I don't need to. There is enough information floating around about this game. I'm speaking from the mouths of others here. Go read the IGN review.

On a side note: Has anyone else noticed that id mentioned nowhere in the app description that this is an on-rails shooter? So, either they're trying to purposely mislead consumers or even they're disappointed in themselves. Either way, we're going to start seeing a rash of really disappointed people who expected a real FPS game. Just watch those stars start to drop. You better get some popcorn.

15. Gamingfun

Gamingfun Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Obviously he hasn't but it does sound like he hates on the rail shooters. Which is fine. If you don't like the genre what they heck are you in here talking about the game in the first place really? One post would do it 'game not for me' aaaaand your done! Whoopy that was easy.

Anywho. Presentation aside this game controls great and replay is indeed present high score anyone? People love that stuff. Or you can go back to playing Fap Counter for 99 cents 0.o

16. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    There's an idea: let's complain about the movie. What a glorious collection of one-liners.

Hahahaha

17. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    Carmack explains that in the interview with arn. They're not hiding anything. Id didn't become huge by being sneaky about their products.

18. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Hahaha.

19. florbastang

Apr 22, 2009
    What percentage of iPhone users do you think visit TA or any game site? 2%? 3%?

The vast, VAST majority of potential consumers for this game haven't heard/read a word from Carmack or anyone else about this game. The vast majority go by just the app description.

So why don't they mention it in the description? Are they ashamed? Or are they just trying to dupe consumers into buying something that it isn't?

20. Gamingfun

Gamingfun Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    I'm interested in seeing what craziness they have for the hardest mode. That could get frustrating.