Doom Resurrection Pricing Discussion

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by florbastang, Jun 30, 2009.

1. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Did you read the review?

They made it clear that SOME iTouch/Phone gamers may not like the length, but that the GAMEPLAY is very good, and if one is a fan of on rail shooters one will enjoy the game quite a bit. They also mentioned how the different difficulty levels will add to gameplay length, something that you railed against.

Listen, we get that you're not a fan of rail shooters. Fine. No one is forcing you to buy the game, no one is forcing you to like the game, and at this point I'm just responding because, tbqh, I troll trolls, and you fit that description.

That said, the reviews are in, and they seem to be stellar as the sales increase through the ranks. So there is a market for such a game at such a price point, and it is being proven as you read this (or try to in your case) and has already been proved time and time again with earlier releases from EA, Sega, Gameloft, etc. It's not like the $9.99 price point is new, nor is it like it hasn't met success in the past.

2. Yeah, I'm stuck at work too, but he makes my brain ache. There's this unreasonable part of me that wants to keep trying to "correct" the trolls despite knowing they're trolls and it pisses me off. I just don't suffer fools well.

3. Gamingfun

Gamingfun Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    I'm very mad at this 9.99 price as well :mad: If anything it should at least be 15 :D

4. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    He's not the only one, though, I got into it for days on the minigore thread, all because I espoused the philosophy that 99 cent apps are a detriment to the future of the app store. There should be one GIANT thread, so this doesn't happen in every thread.

5. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    I actually caught the tail end of that thread, and it's pretty annoying that price keeps rearing it's head. This iTunes is a strange phenomenon, and it's the only place where I see price and how it should be lower going on and on every day.

6. hmm

hmm Active Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I guess it depends on what you consider "balked", but this was the most negative comment I could find in the review and it doesn't seem
    like balking to me.

7. o.o

o.o Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    I read the review, and they liked it :p By this point it seems like you don't have anymore reasons for disliking the game so you are reusing old ones and just being petty about the cons IGN picked out. That there score you mentioned would not have been awarded if they didn't like it :cool:

If you wouldn't get it and you think everyone else is being ripped off, well that's your opinion. Then there's the people who purchased the game, most of whom seem to be pleased with it, who are content with the price they paid.

8. Militia

Militia Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    We are the future of the iphone

We are the future of the iphone wen it comes to gaming. The iphone can go the same route of the nintendo wii. Where cheap casual games survive and Thrive and hardcore titles wont thrive then as a reaction to this hardcore developers stop develoing for it. We must endeavors such as doom ressurection. The fate of the iphone as a true gaming device lies in our hands. Lets be resposible.

9. Gamingfun

Gamingfun Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    In reality I'm not sure why price is such a big thing for iTunes. Do iTune users not use any other downloading service? Heck for 20+ older NES games on the Virtual Console for the Wii costs you 5 dollars standard. Most PSN, Arcade, and WiiWare titles are around 10 bucks sometimes higher. Other phone games are 6 and above as well. How is it that the world of iTunes is not in line with the rest of the downloading landscape?

10. le'deuche123

Feb 5, 2009
    Yeah, I'll admit I wasn't helping get the thread on track but can't help fight the fight against entitlement!

11. Since it seems to be such a hot button issue with the digital ghetto crowd then yeah, that's probably not a bad idea. Besides giving the whiners a place to vent it could also be a good lightning rod for the trolls. ;)

I hate to say this, but early developers did this to themselves by taking the low road and racing to the bottom from the very start. Had prices started and remained more reasonable at the outset we'd never even be having these arguments -- or if we did they'd be more like, "$20?! WTF, there are better games with more content for $5!"

But, done is done, and now it's a difficult battle to start climbing back up, all while having arguments like this one with people who've been conditioned -- unfortunately by developers themselves -- to act like spoiled kids, because they have been spoiled with low prices for great apps. (And a lot of crap too, but it's the great stuff that's given them ammunition to use when they need to drag something good out in their argument for cheap pricing.)

12. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    Unfortunately, the sense of entitlement extends beyond the walls of iTunes and seems to be getting worse. I agree with Mindfield that the devs did this to themselves, and now they must dig themselves out of the hole they dug.

13. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

It's easier to whine on a forum about how games are too expensive than ask your parents for an increased allowance to buy them.

[​IMG]

14. le'deuche123

Feb 5, 2009
    Ohhhh...burnnnnnn!!!:) (had to do it)

15. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    Sometimes the truth can hurt, but it can also set you free ;)

16. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Oh man, I want the parts of my brain back that this thread melted. I bought this game the moment I could, it could have been $20 and I would have bought it. Do I qualify as a Doom fanboy? Yeah, I'd say so. I've played pretty much every single Doom game that's come out on every possible system. Because I love them, they're amazing. However, I've also been gaming for around 24 years, and consider myself an educated gamer. If a crappy Doom game came out, could I seperate myself from my fanboyism and recognize that the game is crappy? Abso-freakin-lutely. This is most certainly not a crappy game, this is the best game that I've downloaded on the app store so far. If I HAD paid $20 for it, I would still be satisfied. I've bought $30 DS games that were complete stinkers, nevermind the $60 Xbox games that have sucked. If $10 is too much for you to pay for this game, I absolutely understand that and you are entitled to that. But don't try for one second to demean the people who did buy this game, and have fully accepted the price it costs. Especially with your weak ass arguments (florbastang) that are starting to make less sense as time goes on. If you don't want this game at $10, then just wait. The price will drop eventually. Just like Hero of Sparta, a high quality although rather short game that was also at $10. If you can wait many months for the price to drop, if it in fact DOES ever drop, then more power to you. Personally, I did not feel like waiting and had no problem immediately buying the crap out of this game, playing the crap out of it, and enjoying the crap out of it, as I'm doing now. I get the feeling that you're just making these ridiculous arguments to start a flame war, I hope you're enjoying it.

17. dream

dream Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    I don't know if I necessarily agree with that. When high quality (and more console-style) titles like Zenonia, The Sims, and Real Racing are released at a higher price point and stay at that price point, it sort of recalibrates the pricing scale of the App Store. It sends the message that if you want a quick and cheap diversion, you can grab something for 99 cents. If you want a more comprehensive experience, you'll have to pay a little more than that.

18. Vinny554

Vinny554 Well-Known Member

Either way you put it....you lose.

For example, the people who say $10 is too expensive, your right, but people will still bitch, saying stuff like "OMG GAMES LIKE DIS 4 TEH DS AND PSP ARNT EVEN THAT GOOD OMG! IT SHUD BE LIKE $25 DOLLRZ YOU CHEAPAZZEZ!!!! OPMG!!!"

Otherwise, people who say its not, get slammed with "OMG BUT LOOK AT THE FCT THAT ITZ 4 AN iPODZ IT SHOULDN BE THAT MUCCH!"

I love making ppl look like idiots ;)

But seriously, both are good arguements. Games on the touch do take time to create and are quite impressive, but I still stand as $10 for a game on a cell phone/mp3 is just rediculous. IM NOT SAYING THE GAMES ISNT GOOD ENOUGH OR THE DEVELOPER IS STUPID OR SOMETHING DONT BE A DUMBASS. All Im saying is, for an application, $5 should be the most.

19. I don't think we're in disagreement there -- I wasn't suggesting this problem existed across the board. There are good games with depth that are absolutely priced reasonably, and they do help to recalibrate pricing expectations a little bit -- but there are so few of them right now that they are only a start. Doom Resurrection adds another member to that club, which helps the case, but we need to see it start happening on a much larger and more consistent scale before people will start to have no choice but to pay the more reasonable prices and accept that the glory days of getting lots of something for practically nothing are over.

I just hope it happens before the good devs who were forced to sell cheap disappear because they couldn't make a living.

20. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

This thread is quickly surpassing the water filter thread as the best thread on TA.