Doom sale, still worth it?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Zack101, Aug 14, 2009.

?

Doom resurrection worth buying on sale?

Poll closed Aug 28, 2009.
  1. YES! It's a steal!

62.7%
  2. Yeah at the sale price its ok

26.4%
  3. No the game sucks

10.9%
  1. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    This, my friends, is what happens when you don't read ANYTHING before you buy an app or post on a thread about that app. Don't let this be you.

2. Shumby

Shumby Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2009
    I'm kinda sick of tilt controls but this is appropriate and well executed use of tilt. It does drain the batt a little.

I was in the camp that said "$10 for a rail shooter? no freaking way" ---- after buying at the $3 price I almost wish I got it earlier. (ok not really cuz I'm a cheap bastard)

I cant recommend this title enough. If I'm wrong you can punch me in the face.

3. Shumby

Shumby Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2009
    +1
    hahahaha

4. iDakota

iDakota Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    lol. I usually don't read the descriptions, I just read the reviews.
    but everyone should let me be you.

5. demonslayerQ

demonslayerQ Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Yea, the controls are perfect but perhaps they could increase the speed of the aiming? kinda slow imo.

6. Moonmist

Moonmist Well-Known Member

May 13, 2009
    at my computer?
  7. Moonmist

Moonmist Well-Known Member

May 13, 2009
    at my computer?

That second "paragraph" made me laugh so hard hahahahahahaha

8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    That's what on-rails means: movement and camera angle are pre-programmed -- player shoots at enemies and interacts with the environment. If you expect an FPS experience, you will be disappointed. If you expect an intense shooter with great graphics and challenging gameplay (particularly in the harder difficulty levels), you'll find it to be a very enjoyable game.

If you are looking for an actual FPS, you should give Duke Nukem 3d a try. The controls need work (you can fiddle with the options to make it playable, but even then they could be much improved); still, you get the full PC game, free movement and all. It's funny, challenging, and action packed.

9. INCyr

INCyr Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    I haven't played DN3D, but from what I've heard, he's better off picking up Wolf3d for $.99 at the moment, which has excellent controls.

I've never understood the hate for Rail shooters. Sure, they're not what most people are used to, but that doesn't mean they can't be excellent. I'm really looking forward to playing more of this, and can't wait for Dead Space Extraction (Wii). Still kind of amusing how many people seem not to bother to read anything about Doom Res before picking it up, even after all these months.

10. iDakota

iDakota Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009

I didn't read anything but reviews in the app store, but thanks for telling me what that means.

Duke Nukem didn't look that good, the graphics were not my taste.

11. Markomcm

Markomcm Active Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Totally Worth it

I bought Doom Resurrection at it's initial Price,
    and it was totally worth it for me.

Basically if you like any on rails game: Virtua Cop, Time Crisis, house of the dead. Definitely pick up this game, support it.
    So that more developers especially ID keep creating new content, rather than rehashes. Besides who knows? know that they were able to experiment and creat a rail shooter using Doom 3 assets, they may possibly create the full shooter experience next year.

Doom Resurrection is a lot better than MGST, Time Crisis, and Silent Scope.

The gameplay and grapics are much better than any mobile rail shooter, I like the gameplay, and appreciate what they tried to. And this was when I bought it for $9.99.

At $2.99 this game is a steal. For the price of 3 sessions at an acade playing Time Crisis, you have a game that lasts hours longer not to mention multiple difficulty levels.

12. Theta-Omega

Theta-Omega Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Classified
    It's DOOM, dammit, that's all the info you need! Remember that thread where everyone who had played it gave it 10 thumbs up and the only guys who didn't like it were the ones who didn't have enough money to purchase it? In short, yes, this game is well worth it, especially if you're a fan of RS or old school FPS games like Quake and Half-life, and especially if you like DOOM.

13. aboll2009

aboll2009 Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2009
    School
    Atlantis
    To anyone who said that on-rails sucks, are you saying you don't like House of the dead? Time Crisis? (not counting ipod version). I grew up with those games, I spent hundreds of dollars on HOTD, and probably beat every one at least.......hmm, 20 times? Buy it. Now. Now if you excuse me, i'm gonna go play house of the dead on the dreamcast......:D

14. Vende

Vende Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    I'm also pretty hesitant to get this, since I truly loathe rail shooters. Nothing else really to add to the conversation

15. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    If you don't like this game, it's because you go into it not WANTING to like it. I can't imagine any game fan in general not thinking this is a stellar title. There's nothing about it that isn't first class all the way. The haters are strictly narrow minded about this whole "on-rails" nonsense.

16. Alichan76

Alichan76 Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    A fantastic game through and through. Not a bug in site, nor a spelling error. The graphics are top, the whole thing runs like butter on my 1G Touch, and they made really sensible use of the on rail thing. To play this free roaming on this device would be awful...

17. McGill

McGill Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    = Retard.

18. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    I may be one too for asking, but what does "on rails" mean?

19. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    It means you're not controlling your character's movement throughout the environment. Here, you're controlling where you aim and fire, and what you can pick up on the way. If you've played Time Crisis Strike or House of the Dead games, those are on rails. He's calling him stupid for being so closed minded, not for ignorance.

20. dominator246

dominator246 Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Honestly, a while back when this first came out, I was one saying that I'd hesitate because it was on rails. But I got this yesterday and it's sooooooo worth it. Seriously, it's got a good story and everything and it doesn't feel cheap at all. If people haven't persuaded you by now, then you probably won't end up getting it. But there's my 2 cents. Go buy it :)