Doom sale, still worth it?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Zack101, Aug 14, 2009.

?

Doom resurrection worth buying on sale?

Poll closed Aug 28, 2009.
  1. YES! It's a steal!

62.7%
  2. Yeah at the sale price its ok

26.4%
  3. No the game sucks

10.9%
  1. qasim

qasim Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    USA
    You have got to buy it! The on the rails makes the game incredible! It was made for that! I still didn't beat it (playing on nightmare.. lol).. if it's worth 10 bucks, it's a fricken big ass deal for 3.. get it now. im not even joking. get it. GET IT. or i will hunt you.............................................

hehe

2. SoCal_Sponger

SoCal_Sponger Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2009
    #62 SoCal_Sponger, Aug 15, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
    am I the only one who doesnt enjoy the game? Its just not that...intriguing (talking about gameplay, not story). Im not a big fan of 3D games because they always seem to focus more on the graphics than gameplay. Its not the best use of accelerometer I've seen and the gameplay definitely doesnt keep my satisfied, it seems too simple (kind of like a tap and shoot type game).

It doesnt suck, but its alright.

3. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    Yes, you're the only one.

4. SoCal_Sponger

Feb 28, 2009
    yea, I thought so

5. diffusion8r

diffusion8r Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    I was on the fence yesterday as well, but caved in and bought it. Easily better than any other iPhone game I've played, works perfectly on ipod Touch 1G.

6. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    Brought the game for £1.79 in the sale and i'm very glad I did, I like the game a lot but of course a lot of people dislike the whole on rails thing, I find it perfectly fine and the game gives you a good challenge if you skip the first two easy choices and go straight into a harder setting. The game also starts off slow in the first chapter but it picks up a LOT from chapter 4 onwards.

7. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

So after reading this thread it seems most people who tried it at the sale price have liked it even if they assumed a rail shooter would suck. Makes me think id should put out a lite version.

Anyway, I think the game is awesome - the shooting controls are great once you get used to them, the graphics are amazing and the sound is good too. Also who doesn't like cutting some demonic beast in two with a chainsaw? :D

8. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    On rail games suck in general. This one is no different (yes, I do own the game)

9. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

Have you actually played it then?

10. dominator246

dominator246 Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Dude really, if you want a free roam FPS, your gonna have to go to the consoles or PC. It's an iphone screen, not two analog sticks, two bumpers, 4 face buttons, a d-pad, and two triggers (and of course that big lovely green X in the middle of the controller) :D

11. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

#71 Der-Kleine, Aug 15, 2009
    1. have you played the game?
    2. If yes, tell me wich fps is better than this one (on the iPhone), please don't say MC:Sandstorm or LiveFire or any other fps that isn't released yet!

12. SoCal_Sponger

Feb 28, 2009
    Nex :p

13. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

edited my post!

now it says:
    ...or any other fps that isn't released yet!

14. Mag

Mag Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Even though I hated the thought of it being onrails, I do like the game! It's definitely a nobrainer for this price!

15. Zack101

Zack101 Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2009
    After buying doom I'm not regreting it, this game Is AWESOME! I was not sure about the on rails stuff but it works soo well it just amazing and to all you people who thinks on rails is bad, you suck!

16. Axl Lowe

Axl Lowe Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    #76 Axl Lowe, Aug 15, 2009
    I wholly disagree that on-rails games by definition suck. It's a very subjective thing, you can't say that they suck for a fact.

Some on-rails games are really good, some are alright, and some are bad. This has nothing to do with the genre, but the actual design of the game built around the concept.

I bought D:R yesterday, haven't played it yet, but I know it's a good on-rails game. Blasting a game for being an on-rails shooter is weak, because even if you had preferred an FPS, they just don't work as well on the iPhone as on consoles or PC, which is why I don't enjoy playing them on an iDevice. They're clunky, slow, unresponsive, ugly and yes I've played several. I for one am glad they went with an on-rails game, as this sort of design works much better on the iDevices.

17. pianoplayer1

pianoplayer1 Active Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Yea, generally I prefer free-roam to rails, but compared to games like brothers in arms which are just trying to port over a console control scheme, doom seems to work a lot better on the iPhone.

It just fits the platform really well. (and the $2.99 sale price was worth it)

18. qwerty12

qwerty12 Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2009
    The game is ok, but after the third level it all seems kind of repetitive. I'm not saying I hate the game but by level four I was a little bit bored, and I only kept playing to see how the game ended. Still I think the game is probably worth it at the sale price but like I said before, it seems like your doing the same thing the whole entire game