Universal Down In The Deep (roguelike / RPG)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Jun 10, 2014.

1. auver

auver Active Member

Mar 18, 2013
    I've found a special armor that has an ability to sell loot to trader, but can't find how to activate it.
    I love this game much, but feel the dungeon length is too long :p I think 14 to 18 would be fine, but over than 20 makes me boring quickly.

2. Yossarian

Yossarian Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Developer
    UK
    The item ability will work automatically if you have the item with the ability equipped :)

Some items can only be equipped by a certain player character class. For example, only the warrior can use armor.

Regarding dungeon levels :

- Day dungeons have a random maximum number of levels between 16 and 28
    - Night dungeons have a random maximum number of levels between 22 and 28

That being said, the dungeon levels become larger the further down you venture in terms of the total chambers and hallways. So the next level being entered will always be larger then the previous level.

3. auver

auver Active Member

Mar 18, 2013

4. Yossarian

Mar 21, 2012
    Developer
    UK
    #44 Yossarian, Jun 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2014

5. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Not a huge deal but I think it's rather unnecessary. I thought I hit a bug at first lol. Game seems cool so far, I will play more tonight and provide updated impressions for anyone who cares to read.

6. Dymonic

Dymonic Active Member

May 8, 2014
    I care to know :)

7. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    #47 Jorlen, Jun 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
    I played more last night and here's what I think:

This is a rogue-like that isn't really made for short sessions, which isn't necessarily good or bad, it's just a fact. There are dozens of dungeons you can enter from the over-world map and each of them have several floors (up to 22 or something).

Each floor is randomly generated and can contain monsters, traps, various NPC types (vendors, healers, etc) as well as chests. I think all chests are locked so you'll need to buy keys or lock-picks to open them. The floors are rather large, but they end up feeling a bit sparse or empty. I think another player mentioned it would be cool to have barrels or something and I think that might actually be a good idea, providing they are a) destructible and b) can contain gold / loot, a la Diablo.

On the note of loot, I haven't found any gear from drops yet other than potions. I did run into one vendor but everything he was selling was in the tens of thousands of gold or more and even though I'd been playing a while I wasn't even close.

So with those two things in mind, you can see that it's more of a grind-heavy rogue-like. I haven't decided if I truly like it yet, but I am enjoying my time with it and look forward to getting to know it better.

Seeing as the dev is active in the thread, I had a few questions and feedback:

- I should be able to select my target as a ranger (and possibly mage too). Often times my character will be firing at an enemy that's further away. From your tutorial texts, this shouldn't happen but it is. Also, this would help make combat feel a bit more involved for the ranged classes, rather than just wading in a room and auto-firing. From the tutorial I know that the melee character can select his target, right?

- While I realize there are random NPCs in the dungeons themselves that include vendors, are there any that are ever selectable on the over-world map? This would be cool.

- When a game is created, you could always present the option of how deep the dungeons can go, so that if some players prefer a shorter game (like me) we can pick an appropriate choice (i.e. deep, deeper and deepest, etc which would have 10 floors, 15 floors or over 20).

- An ability to zoom out a bit would be cool too but I understand this may be a limitation of the engine

- Does gold get easier to come by later? Or is it random that some vendors sell loot that seem excessively expensive? I'm level 10 and I still haven't found a single piece of loot nor can I buy any yet. The single chest I was able to open didn't have any loot, just gold.

Otherwise, I'm having fun with it and I like the board game-like characters and music. I'd offer to make you a gameplay video (I've seen a few asks in this thread) but I don't have the equipment or technical skills to do it.

8. Yossarian

Mar 21, 2012
    Developer
    UK
    #48 Yossarian, Jun 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
    Thanks for your feedback.

Not all chests are locked. All of the chests on the earlier dungeon levels are open but the later dungeon level chests are randomly locked or open. Some also have traps :)

Enemy characters will sometimes randomly drop gold, potions, rest-mats and keys (door and chest) / lock-picks. The last couple of dungeon boss enemy characters will drop some special loot.

Regarding your points :

- At the moment ranged weapons have automatic enemy selection and launching. You can still equip a melee weapon as a mage or ranger and select the enemy attack yourself.

So to clarify, the mage and ranger player characters start with ranged weapons equipped but you can discover melee weapons later to equip and then target enemies yourself. The warrior player character can also equip ranged weapons (staffs) if you want.

The disadvantages of ranged weapons is that they cannot daze an enemy (enemy when dazed cannot attack or avoid / block your attacks) and they miss slightly more then melee weapons.

With a ranged weapon equipped the automatic enemy targeting system will always pick the most dangerous / largest enemy to attack unless an enemy is closer to you as then that closer enemy is more of a imminent threat.

-A lot of people have asked for this. I have it on my to-do list :)

-This is a very good idea and I wished I thought of it! This will be added to the next update (version 2.0) during the new game creation process. This is a good way to keep a lot of players happy.

-Again, this is also a very good idea and it is easy to add. This will be in the next update (version 2.0). I just want to be careful that people can still easily select enemy characters for melee attacks but I can add some additional code to handle this nicely. Of course for ranged weapon combat this will be fine.

-You will get more gold the further down you progress and also it is dependent on dungeon difficulty (higher dungeon difficulty will equal more gold from enemies and chests). As you progress further down you will find more loot in chests which you can then sell to the traders for gold.

9. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Awesome, I look forward to the updates. I don't love the auto-targeting system, but I can live with it.

I think your game is great and has a lot of potential. Very good to know that the harder difficulties and floors will result in more loot. Time to go hunting!

10. auver

auver Active Member

Mar 18, 2013
    I've just finished two dungeons. The problem is that when I've finished my first dungeon (26floors), My character already reached lv.95. Is this intended? I made highest lv (lv.100) at the early of dungeon 2 and this made me to avoid most of battles. I already collected one million golds, but don't knows where to spend it :p
    Totally it feels too easy. This game need to be update I think: dungeons should be shorten or need to have smaller size at the deeper floor, lv increases slowly, gives less gold, enemy drops equipable loot,...etc.

11. Touchmint

Touchmint Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    Looks good! Glad to see this released!

12. Yossarian

Mar 21, 2012
    Developer
    UK
    #52 Yossarian, Jun 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
    Thanks for the feedback.

The xp leveling system has been updated so the xp needed to level-up (after reaching character level 10) has now been increased. I have also lowered the enemy gold drop amounts as well.

I have cancelled the version 1.9 update going through approval and have made the above changes and re-submitted to the app store.

13. Yossarian

Mar 21, 2012
    Developer
    UK
    #53 Yossarian, Jun 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2014

Nobody has yet noticed the TV show references used for some of the dungeon names.

Players should "tread lightly" through the dungeon levels ;)

14. Collin

Collin Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Graphic Designer/Illustrator/Art Director
    Colorado Springs, CO

15. Yossarian

Mar 21, 2012
    Developer
    UK
    #55 Yossarian, Jun 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2014

16. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    It doesn't appear there are any skills here, which makes the combat rather flat...I appreciate the shortcuts once you have found the stairs.

Someone earlier mentioned a zoom ability, this would be great...as well as marking traps on the map as large as the levels get it's ridiculous to remember all that.

All in all, this game has some good things going for it, but I'm a level 14 warrior right now and can see combat getting boring. The weapon icon might be nice in a lower corner where I can rest my hand more and not cover the screen.

17. Yossarian

Mar 21, 2012
    Developer
    UK
    An android player also mentioned adding skills or special attacks as you level up. I have this added on my to-do list.

The marking of trap rooms is a good idea. I will add that feature later today. Once you have entered a trap chamber it will be marked on the mini-map so it is visually easy to see where the traps are on the dungeon level.

Can you please explain more what you mean by the weapon icon? Do you want it to display on the screen lower-corners instead of the top-middle of the screen?

18. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    You know, I was getting mixed up when I was explaining that, it's not,the icon. I played some more to try and better describe what I mean. Tapping on the enemies in the center of the screen (usually) at least when I play laying down with the device on my chest, gets tiring. It's also easy to attack the wrong one (ig non dazed or not weakened) one because they huddle closely together.

More at the core I think is actually the way combat is...I appreciate that enemies have to stay on their colored tiles in the rooms, because there are mobs of them, but all that does is let me run away....at least as a warrior. Maybe the others could attack from the safety of a corridor. But an attack that hits multiple enemies and uses stamina would be great....some options to vary combat. Maybe an auto attack option, to continue hitting an enemy until they are dead or you tap elsewhere.

I wouldn't mind one enemy you are attacking, for example, being able to chase me down a hallway so I can single it out. I guess the auto attack with ranged weapons and magic is so players can't take advantage of the monsters limitations to the colored tiles. I don't know, it's an interesting choice, the various "arenas" that we step into.

It's tricky. I'm not sure you've found the design advantages of the system you have set up here. The action that you are going for isn't exciting because of limited options for attack...maybe strong and quick attack variants, with higher hit chance vs damage would help.

19. Yossarian

Mar 21, 2012
    Developer
    UK
    #59 Yossarian, Jun 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
    Thanks for the feedback.

I will have a think about the combat system and what I can do to enhance it.

I was planning to add additional combat HUD icons for special combat skills at the start of the project but I was worried it would become over complex for most people.

You see PC rogue games with a ton of buttons but I think that would put off most mobile game players who are mostly casual game players.

I will have to find a better middle ground in keeping the game-play simple but also adding variety to the combat.

20. Dymonic

Dymonic Active Member

May 8, 2014
    Hey I'm buying your game, I say this with heart filled tears... You better keep updating :) and say involed ;)