Universal Down In The Deep (roguelike / RPG)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Yossarian

Yossarian Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Developer
    UK
    Version 2.5 is coming soon with the following changes :)

- Added nine player character skills that can be unlocked when leveling-up.
    - Fixed a GUI bug when discovering a secret chamber and leveling-up.
    - Enemies now launch projectiles on the last levels of the day dungeons.
    - Players can now store dungeon loot in the world chest.

2. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Fantastic update, man. You work fast!

3. Dymonic

Dymonic Active Member

May 8, 2014
    Hey dude, I waited for the price increase to get your game, since I know apple takes a good amount from dev's.

Any way I have been playing it for a bit and I quite love how you are very supportive of your app and updates, I also saw you are opened minded with suggestions and what not.

So any way to my point, this game has loads of potential and after I get to play it a bit more I didn't know if you wouldn't mind talking about some of thos suggestions?

4. Dymonic

Dymonic Active Member

May 8, 2014
    #84 Dymonic, Jul 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
    Suggested hud change.

http://i.imgur.com/0iDJTHB.jpg

5. Yossarian

Mar 21, 2012
    Developer
    UK
    #85 Yossarian, Jul 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
    Thanks for the feedback.

I am open minded to suggestions for game content ideas in terms of new game-play additions / changes but not really for interface changes.

The reason being is that with interface changes a lot of people all have their own ideas of visual style, presentation, functionality etc... so it is difficult trying to keep everybody happy :)

6. Dymonic

Dymonic Active Member

May 8, 2014

No no, I know, this was just merely a suggestion take it or leave it, thats fine ;)
    Well all I can say is add more tactical AI.

Just don't ever give up of what you imagine this game to be.

7. Yossarian

Mar 21, 2012
    Developer
    UK
    Tactical AI is a big one I am working on :)

It is difficult issue though as when a roguelike becomes real-time it removes a lot of tactical decisions made with turn based game-play.

8. Dymonic

Dymonic Active Member

May 8, 2014
    #88 Dymonic, Jul 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
    True, I know that I have a difficult time picking which baddies I want to hit, I feel like I want a joy stick and targeting or something, maybe its just fat fingers :/

So one question and I'm out of your hair will there be a way to listen to my own music in the future?

Edit: maybe when you hold down where you wanna go it automatically follows your finger.

9. Yossarian

Mar 21, 2012
    Developer
    UK
    No problem :)

You can mute the music and use a different app to play music in the background.

Does this not work?

10. Yossarian

Mar 21, 2012
    Developer
    UK
    Video of the game is now up on YouTube -
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNb6VnMAYGE

No audio in the video but the game does have a lot of music and sound effects.

11. gemineye62

gemineye62 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Thank you for posting a video of your game.
    I will check it out right away.

12. Roleki

Roleki Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Video has been taken down...

13. socalledsin

socalledsin Well-Known Member

Any other videos available? Still on the fence about this one.

14. Yossarian

Mar 21, 2012
    Developer
    UK
    #94 Yossarian, Jul 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
    I have taken down the video as I was not happy with it.

The video was recorded using the Android system and it is to slow and choppy and it also does not record any sound.

I am going to make a new video and use a media recorder to record the game. This way the game is recorded using dedicated hardware and sound will also be recorded.

The new video should be up in a few weeks time.

On a more positive note. Version 2.5 of the game should be approved by tomorrow :)

Version 2.5 changes :
    - Added eight player character skills that can be unlocked when leveling-up.
    - Now only lord and master enemy characters can poison or curse the player.
    - Added a sound effect for when a door or chest is locked.

15. Yossarian

Mar 21, 2012
    Developer
    UK
    Version 2.5 is now available on the app store and the price has been reduced to 0.99c :)

Version 2.5 changes :
    - Added eight player character skills that can be unlocked when leveling-up.
    - Now only lord and master enemy characters can poison or curse the player.
    - Added a sound effect for when a door or chest is locked.

16. Roleki

Roleki Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Well I just picked this up at v1.5 and have played it for a couple of hours. First impressions are mixed. I like the artwork and the music, but the UI is a little difficult to use. For example I was walking around with three spells I'd picked up in the heat of battle somewhere, but had no idea untill I hit the right icon in the inventory out of curiosity and saw them. Too many screens to move through and only goes one way, and the spells are nested.

Played the ranger at first, but found it difficult to get any distance while firing the bow, so got beaten up in melee range a lot. As the ranger can't wear armor, it just wasn't very viable. The penalties for death are IMHO too heavy, losing all money, some experience, stats and levels too was all a bit crushing. I find permadeath less painful to be honest, it's gamer psychology I guess. To add insult to injury my character got cursed so even lower stats.

So next I tried the warrior who got better pickups (seemed to be no bows dropping for the ranger) and could handle the melee, but the game froze a couple of times, probably due to button mashing (finger mashing?). I'm still enjoying the game for its original "feel", but feel it could use more balance, or maybe a "casual" mode.

There could be a memory leak issue, as frame rate dropped after playing it for a while on my old iPad 2, but this could just be a Marmalade thing.

All in all this falls a little short of being a great game, but I feel it's still worth the devs time improving it a little more, and worth the money to anyone who wants to try a roguelike with a different flavor.

17. Roleki

Roleki Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Correction, picked up version 2.5 (not 1.5).

18. Yossarian

Mar 21, 2012
    Developer
    UK
    #98 Yossarian, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
    Thanks for the feedback.

If you character is cursed or poisoned you can make a gold donation to the shrines and the blessing will remove any curse or poison effects.

The ranger and mage characters cannot use armor but they can use enchanted clothing with provide a lot of defense.

I will look to see what I can do to improve the GUI system to make it easier to use and more obvious when spells have been obtained.

19. Dymonic

Dymonic Active Member

May 8, 2014
    I also thought the GUI could be cleaned up a bit.

20. Yossarian

Mar 21, 2012
    Developer
    UK
    #100 Yossarian, Jul 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
    I have submitted version 3.0 to Apple with the following changes :

- The player character level and attributes are no longer reduced when the player is killed on normal game difficulty.
    - Added a Previous button to the player GUI system.
    - Added a notification when spells are added to the player inventory.

The player GUI is now easier to use and when in the mini-map the player is notified if they have any new spells in the inventory.

Now when the player is killed on the normal game difficulty level then the player only loses all their gold and experience points.

I feel this is enough of a penalty for being killed as now it takes longer for the player to level-up.