Universal Dream of Pixels - (by Dawn of Play)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Nov 14, 2012.

1. sawyer4325

sawyer4325 Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    Any chance I could design some puzzles? Btw, THIS GAME IS AWESOME!

2. DawnOfPlay

DawnOfPlay Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Game development studio
    Slovenia
    Puzzle Editor? Sure thing!

Sure, 100% chance! You got a PM on how to get to it.

Everyone that would like to, let me know, I'm sending the URL + codez via PM!

THANK YOU! AND YOU ARE AWESOME, TOO! :D \o/

3. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    #243 drelbs, Nov 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2012
    Passage is fantastic, though probably so more for us old duffers.
    I got teary-eyed when my wife died in the game.

I submitted a sample of what I thought was impossible - but it seems if you have a three-block high piece, it can get past obstacles that block it's lower row - I'm guessing that since it rotates it becomes 2 rows (and rotates up not down) so it can clear it.

If that doesn't make sense, I'll post a screenshot.

4. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Funny thing the puzzle editor. Are you going to implement it in game? It would be a fantastic addition. I've made a Virtual Boy (obviously! :D) and Robocop. I'm much happier with the outcome of Robocop than the Virtual Boy though :p

5. DawnOfPlay

Dec 24, 2010
    Game development studio
    Slovenia
    #245 DawnOfPlay, Nov 28, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
    Indeed. :D

Screenshot would be perfect, but if you just tell me the name of the puzzle you submitted that you thought was impossible, I can make a screenshot - no problem - to explain for everyone the hows and whys. Thanks!

6. DawnOfPlay

Dec 24, 2010
    Game development studio
    Slovenia
    Hehe, seen them, cool, thanks! :D

Yeah, you get better with each puzzle! Our first puzzles weren't much either, we made more than 200 of them for this selection of 60 before you.

The Robocop one really looks just exactly like the real thing! :D

Yea, we agree it would be fantastic to include it in the game - we are thinking about it!

ps:
    Anyone else want to have a go with the editor? :)

7. sawyer4325

May 20, 2011
    Hey, I cant figure out how to change the color of each individual pixel. Its making it hard to creat good looking puzzles. If anyone knows how to change the color, please tell me. Also, I think this would be awesome as a IAP to the app. Thats the kind of IAP I would pay for.:D

8. DawnOfPlay

Dec 24, 2010
    Game development studio
    Slovenia
    Hey, yeah, the color! So you change it simply by tapping on the palette.

You can see the palette, right?

Also, if you click or tap and hold on a color, it will switch to that!

ps: if you cannot see the palette, are you editing puzzles on your iphone/ipod?

I'm not sure if the whole UI shows up on the smaller screens, try scrolling?
    iPad should work fine, though.

Let me know if you still have problems, or send a screenshot of how you see the editor?

9. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Choose "draw" and draw the picture. The colour palette is there. The option in which you are is the second step: building the figure you made out of the blocks. The third step is how to solve it. Once you solve it (as if you were playing) you can upload it.

10. DawnOfPlay

Dec 24, 2010
    Game development studio
    Slovenia
    Exactly, thank you!

But, also, additionally: if you by any chance wanted to change the color of the full tetromino blocks in step 2 (Fill) it can't be done and it's not important, the colors are there only for you to be able to distinguish the tetrominos amongst each other.

And the whole image turns gray at where your colored pixels are, to make it easier to the eye to see where you placed the colored tetrominos already.

That said, you can (only) change the tetromino colors in Step 2: Fill to a new random color, by clicking it to remove it, then redrawing it with the new randomly selected color. :) :p :D

Cheers!

11. DawnOfPlay

Dec 24, 2010
    Game development studio
    Slovenia
    Oh, wow! DOH! :D

Ok, so yeah, we might have missed some browsers to support - which one are you using?

It should definitely be working in Chrome, btw.

And I just tried these on my Win7 and it works in:
    + Chrome
    + Opera
    + Safari
    + Firefox 16

in IE9 is a bit weird, since the palette doesn't show up properly, but its frames do, and you can in fact select a color, just in some weird half-blind way. :)

(needless to say, as developers, we are not very fond of IE) :p :)

12. sawyer4325

May 20, 2011
    #254 sawyer4325, Nov 28, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
    Yeah...it's IE. will try safari when I get a chance.

Edit: works good on safari :D your gonna get a bunch of random puzzles :/

13. DawnOfPlay

Dec 24, 2010
    Game development studio
    Slovenia
    Ahh, sorry, this must be it then. Yes, Safari should work without problems or any of the other ones - we tested it on Windows mostly, btw.

And we'll take a look if we can do something about IE - can you just tell me which version you are using?

14. DawnOfPlay

Dec 24, 2010
    Game development studio
    Slovenia
    Twinoo 1.0.3 update

Just a quick note to all of you Dream of Pixels fans listening here, we just updated Twinoo a few minutes ago, and we're keeping it free at that - if all goes well, that is - with Kiip physical rewards!

Yea, ever heard of Kiip?

We just found out the other day about it, and thought it was really cool to reward players with physical rewards - no coupons or virtual currency or anything like that, but actual rewards, triggered when you set a decent high score.

But, you are the most important here - we're listening to you, so please, let us know how you like those Kiip rewards - if you plan on getting Twinoo Brain Training, that is - would love to get some feedback on this, so we can also have a good think about including it in our other/future games.

Cheers!

15. JimRaynor

JimRaynor New Member

Nov 29, 2012
    My friend showed me this game on his iPad mini and I purchased it on my phone immediately. There's a bit of a learning curve, but it's a great deal of fun once everything clicks. The concept and execution are both great! Glad to hear you guys are already working on updates for the game!

16. DawnOfPlay

Dec 24, 2010
    Game development studio
    Slovenia
    Thanks! So good to hear it's spreading! :D Thank you!

So, this just in, guys: Showing Dream of Pixels to your friends makes them buy it! This, in turn, makes us make more great games! Just so you know. :D

And, yes, we are pushing for the update to be ready next week, actually, then hopefully Apple will be kind enough to review it before Christmas!

Will post some more on what is coming with this next update - stay tuned! :)

17. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Never heard of it, but I looked them up.

I don't think I'd sign up for it, but then again I'm not really the competitive type.

I see no problem with you integrating Kiip, but I'd hope that it would be setup like [new update] -> Big Kiip Splash Screen! -> click No Thanks -> Never see Kiip mentioned again...

Really hate games that nag me to Facebook, add people, etc. Icons on the game menu are fine, but nothing obtrusive or the reward becomes an annoyance.

18. DawnOfPlay

Dec 24, 2010
    Game development studio
    Slovenia
    Fair enough. :) Thanks for taking the time to look them up! Feedback much appreciated!

Ok, but no, no big splash screen, those proved to be a one-star review generators for us, actually, when we had a big popup for Dream of Pixels in Twinoo - and it was so beautiful! :D So we moved that popup to the More Games button now..

Exactly! Kiip just slides an unobtrusive (well, I think it's unobtrusive!) notification from the bottom of the screen on game over, and even that only once every 24h at most! And only IF you scored above some limit, which not really everyone can score, and at least not every time. It's currently set to a number, that less than 60% of people can score at one time or another.

And when it does slide, you can just safely ignore it like nothing happened and tap "restart game" - or tap it to see what you scored - no nagging.

Ok, I may be biased here, having implemented Kiip in our games, but still, we choose stuff like that very very carefully, just because of the very reasons you mention!